Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I understand the rules, it is a violation to have a phone with you on an IM course, whether or not you ever talk on it.
-----------------------------
Is this true?

If so sounds like a rule that needs to be changed. In the event of a bike accident it could be the difference between life and death.

I'M thinking of getting a tracking system for IMMT but sounds like outside the US might be an issue.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Sep 12, 11 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironma'am wrote:
Good idea! Shore of Panama doesn't mind, if you aren't staying with them?

I sent it where I stayed. Having it sent to Sunbird shouldn't be an issue. Call Sunbird to find out.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm bumping this thread 4y after the last post.

Just realized My Athlete Live (myathletelive.com) is shutting down and I wanted to rent a gps tracking device for my mates who will come see me at IMFRA.

What are the alternatives ?
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found Garmin LiveTrack works beautifully for running races.
But I guess that option is no good for IM because it would require you to be carrying your phone somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A company named Beacon was at the IM Texas expo. They were there at swim start handing them out to the people who rented them. They had a tent set up at Ironman Village after the race to turn them back in. I think they're the only game in town now. I used My athlete live 3 IMs and it worked great. Hate to see them go under. They were more expensive, but you got the device days before and could test it. The beacon looks like a garage door opener with the clip that holds onto your visor so you do not need to wear a separate race belt like with My Athlete live.
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [Cedar Creek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Potentially dumb question, but I'm wondering about it. In 2016, how expensive would it be for IM to add GPS tracking for athletes? Or potentially have it as an add-on option you could pay for?
Quote Reply
Re: Tracking devices during IM races [sjn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjn wrote:
Potentially dumb question, but I'm wondering about it. In 2016, how expensive would it be for IM to add GPS tracking for athletes? Or potentially have it as an add-on option you could pay for?

WTC could have used the MA unit, but they were never interested. Now if folks pay WTC to use something, I guess they might become interested. :)

I was always amazed when I was watching athletes in Hawaii wearing the MA unit and could see with live 30 second updates exactly where they were, while IM
in their broadcast had no idea where athletes were.

I loved using the MA units in 2009 during RAAM to track Michael cook. We had 2 units going and folks were up 24 hours a day tracking us.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beacon looks great, I contacted them but they confirmed they wont be at IMFRA on June 5th.
Any other alternative that you guys know of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cedar Creek wrote:
A company named Beacon was at the IM Texas expo. They were there at swim start handing them out to the people who rented them. They had a tent set up at Ironman Village after the race to turn them back in. I think they're the only game in town now. I used My athlete live 3 IMs and it worked great. Hate to see them go under. They were more expensive, but you got the device days before and could test it. The beacon looks like a garage door opener with the clip that holds onto your visor so you do not need to wear a separate race belt like with My Athlete live.

I'm pleased to report Beacon is a great option:

http://beaconathletetracking.com

I rented a unit for $39 during the pre-race expo for IMC, threw it in the jersey during T1 and had real time tracking all day.

Each unit has a unique ID that moves through a web based course map with vital stats such as speed and distance. The device is the size of a key-fob. A link to the map can be shared with an unlimited number of supporters.

Race support was thrilled to have real time updates of my progress, which made all the difference in being at the right places at the right times. There were a few minor connection drops, but nothing like the incessantly frustrating and worthless IM athlete tracker.

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next