Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Some "sensitive" questions to all women cyclists, triathletes.
Quote | Reply
To all you pretty lady cylists and triathletes,

I posted this in the general forum and was advice to post here to get more responses. After more than six years in ST I have never ever ever been to the women's forum so pardon my ignorance. I could really do a search to answer all these questions individually but that will take up too much time. So indulge me and allow me to tap your vast knowledge and experience with regard to the finer and "sensitive points" of cycling.

After over a decade of watching me compete in triathlons and bike races, my wife has finally decided to enter the world of triathlons. She is a good swimmer and was national ranked decades ago and still sometimes still competes in open water races. She is also a decent enough runner and logs about 25 miles a week. She ran her first Marathon last year in New York City and got hooked so she registered for this year too and would like to run it every year if she could. So the logical step toward achieving multisport nirvana would be to start riding bikes and complete the trifecta. However, the last time she ever rode a bike was 15 years ago in the Venice Beach Boardwalk in LA on a beach cruiser that had a gel saddle wider than my living room couch. And she complained afterwards that her (pardon the term) lips hurt. (Feel free to protest my anatomical terms and do suggest to me whatever it is you prefer I use.)

Last week, I bought a nice road frame and with my vast supply of bike parts orphaned from whimsical purchases in ebay, I was actually able to build her a bike last night. She is excited by the notion of riding but is concerned about the discomfort. Now when it comes to what men should know about cycling and triathlons, I can pretty much answer 99% of all questions but with feminine matters, I would be more clueless than a triathlete wearing his aero helmet backwards. So here goes:

- I like wearing bibs as I can't stand the shorts drawstring, but do you ladies wear bibs? I can't imagine how you would due to reasons anatomical and for immediate restroom trips but how do you stand the drawstrings on shorts? Considering all these factors, what cycling shorts would you recommend, in terms of brand, model, etc.

- Every male cyclist knows that he needs to go Commando underneath his shorts. ("Nothing comes in between me and my chamois.") So do you women go commando as well? The term seems muscular and inappropriate. Is there a feminine term?

- What are the advantages and or disadavantages of going commando with your chamois? For those that can't stand the intimacy, is there any particular lingerie brand or model you would recommend that is cycling related? For those that prefer the commando option, any particular recommendations with regard to intimate chamois creams?

- I don't think I will ever find a saddle as wide as my couch but I would like to get her a saddle that feels as wide as my couch and still look as narrow as my Selle Italia Flight. Mind you she is fairly trim. Any recommendations as to models, shapes, gels, cutouts, cut-ins?

- I would like to coach her as to the finer points of cycling comfort and eventually the question as to "where to sit" will arise. I tend to sit on the very nose of my TT saddle because the boys like to hang out in the front during time trials. They find the freedom... well liberating. However, in my road bike which has a narrower and firmer nose, they boys find the best place in the center of the saddle. Where do you women prefer the nether region to be placed: Front, Center or back? Is it pertinent to the saddle cutout? Does it make a difference if the saddle nose is point down slightly?

I appreciate your candor in answering these questions and feel free to PM me too.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Aug 19, 11 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Some "sensitive" questions to all women cyclists, triathletes. [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1: I personally love bibs, esp for long training rides, but to each their own. I hate bibs for riding aero, and stick to tri shorts (less padding).
2: always commando, always have. I do not get wearing anything else underneath, but again to each their own. invest in good lube. same as guys, right? I do just fine with body glide, but lots of other options out there (same as the guys - assos, udder butter, etc.)
3: there are women specific road saddles, I have a lady's Selle Italia I call "Old Squishy" - I can log stupid amount of miles on that saddle. I race on a Fizik Tri Arione tho. Everyone's giblies are different so she'll have to try different saddles. Find a LBS that will let her try or that has a "generous" exchange policy. It can take years and many saddles to find what works.

In all honesty there's not much that's different about the approach a guy takes in finding saddle nirvana than the approach a girl takes: try different saddles, positions, shorts, creams, until you find what works. The key differences are that it can be quite painful for women to develop a "seasoned taint" compared to guys, the excess skin/flesh causes more chafing, more blisters, more OW.

tell her to not get frustrated tho - just stick to the basics (clean shorts, clean/waxed taint, lots o lube, seat position) and build the mileage slowly.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Some "sensitive" questions to all women cyclists, triathletes. [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that less padding is better for shorts. I've never worn bibs. Yes, women go commando, and yes chamois cream is very helpful. I'm partial to Aquaphor. Tell her to put it on the pad and on any "hot spots" Saddles will be trial and error. I think that after a certain number of miles things hurt no matter what seat you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the Terry Butterfly Ti saddle to be a very good beginner saddle (wide in back, some padding and thin nose). Lots of ways to sit on it.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Cobb v-flow plus saddle on my tri bike and the Fizik vesta on my Cyclo-cross bike. On my 'cross bike, I wear bike shorts, and I like the extra padding, because I sit more on my butt. On my tri-bike, I sit on the nose of my saddle, and have a lot more pressure on my more sensitive parts, so I need less padding in my shorts, and I need the big cut-out on the Cobb saddle, to ensure I'm not sitting on certain parts directly. Everyone's anatomy is different, though, and my comfort level even changes day to day. For some women, it can be a real struggle to be fully comfortable, so hopefully she can be patient. I have a feeling that there are a lot of women who are always in some degree of pain while riding, and I believe saddle discomfort turns a lot of women away from cycling, especially beginners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously, saddles and shorts are really personal but I have a Selle Italia ProLink Trans Am on my roadbike and it seems to work for a lot of people.
The Terry Butterfly is another good one to try as someone else mentioned.
On shorts, you've got to try stuff on and see. Very important to find something that's tight enough not to move around. Chaffing can be a really bad problem for a lot of women. Definitely no underwear!!! Lube can help a bit but my experience is that with the right saddle and the right shorts I don't need it. I can ride all day and only my legs get sore :)
I'd love to wear bibs but have never really found any that fit me properly. In general with shorts, you get what you pay for. Worth investing in some high end shorts that fit well. Take care of them and they will last a long time.

In general, there is some adaptation that happens. Parts get squashed that aren't used to it. You would expect your butt and to some extent your crotch to be a bit sore after riding for a while but rubbing skin off the labia or the inner thighs means something needs to change.
Quote Reply
Re: Some "sensitive" questions to all women cyclists, triathletes. [Miranda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ladies. Keep those comments coming so I get a better idea as to how best to deal with the situation (and the wife) as they arise.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of shared great info...always commando and I like non tingling chamois creme so not european style so I go with plain old Chamois Butt'r.

Shorts and saddle are person specific.

Depending on your wife's build, it may make a difference what is best....some love bibs others not. I really like Terry Euro shorts for just riding...longer, supportive, no leg gripper or waistband. I'm guessing your wife may be Asian from some of the swim races she has done. I'm built curvy so may not be as helpful. I ride bibs when racing cyclocross or when out with bike team.

Agreed you should get her a fit and find a place that she can try saddles during the fit.

Most women like cut outs in saddle. Riding in road vs. aero position contact point with saddle is different. Things get squished in aero. Will you be adding aero bars to her bike, if so get fit with them as it might change what saddle she likes.

Cobb saddles have 180 day money back guarantee which takes the potential economic sting out of buying one. I really like my SMP saddle...glider...very large cut out and my stuff doesn't get squished. When starting I liked Terry Butterfly Tri saddle now it feels like riding in a diaper. I have also liked Terry Zero saddle which I have on my Cross bike. On road bike I have Specialized saddle that comes on Tarmac but blanking on the name right now.

After watching from sidelines for 5+ years my husband decided he wanted to complete some tris. It was stressful on me. He wanted to train with me as a newbie and I was training for my 2nd IM and I was faster at everything than he was. It took awhile to have things not be difficult between us. I hoped he'd fall in love with riding so I'd have a built in riding partner but that didn't work out. He had brain tumor which made him deaf and lost his balance nerve on one side, so riding was challenging for him and not fun. My suggestion is offer help and guidance if she wants it. Suggest a training plan, and let her choose to follow it or not. It is a tough balance to be supportive and not annoying.

Hope she enjoys riding and gets comfy on her bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Some "sensitive" questions to all women cyclists, triathletes. [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kathy,

Sorry to hear about your hubby. I hope things get better. There is more to life than just triathlon though...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always experienced extreme discomfort on my saddle during and after a ride until recently. The saddle always irritated my ''sensitives'' and I would feel numb for a while after. My husband suggested that I tried an ISM saddle and this has been my savior. I have not experienced any kind of discomfort on my sensitive parts since. It does take a little while to get use to an ISM saddle as the pressure is put on the sit bones and you get soreness there, as if you are bruised a bit (but I much rather experience temporary soreness on my bones!). After a while your body is used to it and there is just no discomfort at all anymore. ISM also have a bunch of Demo Centres so you can usually sign the saddle out for free to try it out first. They have a couple of different models and they are quite pricey. Here is a list of dealers in the US : http://www.ismseat.com/...T_FOR_US_8_18_11.pdf the ones marked in red are demo centres I believe. I also always go commando and definitely recommend lube.
-Audrey (steve_c's better half)

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No to bibs (pain the arse if you have to pee for a girl)
Definitely commando, I use Noxema as a chamois cream, just not on the hoo hah itself
ISM makes THE BEST saddles. I will never use anything else. Have the time trial version on my tri bike and the Roaie on my road bike.
Good luck to your wife!

Quote Reply
Re: Some "sensitive" questions to all women cyclists, triathletes. [jen-g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks steve_c and jen_g. I actually have an Ism Adamo saddle that I never used. Forget the model but will certainly let her try it.

Paul

Quote Reply