Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Urge to pee on long runs!!! Help!
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies,

I'm rather new to slowtwitch, so sorry if this question has been asked already! :)

I'm 47, peri menopausal and have been experiencing the dreaded "need to pee" on long runs. I just competed in IMLP and had to hit the porta pots 4 times on the run!!! I'd go, then even before getting out of the loo feel like I had to go again. Same experience at the TTT during the half. It even happens when I'm well hydrated and not exercising, but not as often. I think I need a bladder suspension (damn kids lol!) but have racing to do well into November including a half IM and long course worlds.

Anyone else had a similar experience and have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Trish
Quote Reply
Re: Urge to pee on long runs!!! Help! [TrishM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrishM wrote:
Hello Ladies,

I'm rather new to slowtwitch, so sorry if this question has been asked already! :)

I'm 47, peri menopausal and have been experiencing the dreaded "need to pee" on long runs. I just competed in IMLP and had to hit the porta pots 4 times on the run!!! I'd go, then even before getting out of the loo feel like I had to go again. Same experience at the TTT during the half. It even happens when I'm well hydrated and not exercising, but not as often. I think I need a bladder suspension (damn kids lol!) but have racing to do well into November including a half IM and long course worlds.

Anyone else had a similar experience and have any advice for me? Thanks in advance!

Trish
Have you always been one to pee often? I ask because those of us who have/are will always be kids or no kids. Nothing can control it. I have no kids, always look for the restroom when walking into a store or mall, peed at least 18 times during the run at an ironman race, and will wake up at 2a to race to the toilet. It is bad but from what I have been told, nothing will change because it is how some of us are. The only advice I can offer is to wear Poise or Depends pads if needed or simply deal with the "pressure."

Quote | Reply
I wasn't always a frequent potty girl. Just another wonderful attribute of having the kids and getting more *ahem* mature! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually this thread is covered under 'peeing on the bike', but when racing, the condition is still the same. At 51, I have also dealt with the urge, but I simply don't stop any more if I am truly racing. If I am in a participatory status, then I have to cut back on my water intake. I have also dealt with hyponatremia, so I know that I am prone to being water-logged.

What worked for me is pouring water ON me instead of IN me. I also make a habit of putting ice inside of my jogbra when it's available on course. The other variable to whether I stop is the outside temperature while racing and will I be comfortable after dousing myself in water to clean up.

Remember that if you have to pee that often, then you can get by with less water while on course. I had to stop drinking the entire cup of fluid I was given. Swirling the fluid in my mouth and then swallowing helped me feel cool from the drink without over-drinking. Again, wearing the fluid and not drinking it helped me the most.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Urge to pee on long runs!!! Help! [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before going the bladder suspension route, try SottoPelle or another bio identical hormone therapy. I had never been a believer in HRT but since having multiple problems, I tried this route. I don't have the urge to pee so often now. The doctor says it is low testosterone & replacing it will "tighten" those muscles. Seemed to work for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink very little fluids when training or racing, otherwise I'm in the same boat. I haven't found cutting back on fluid intake to be a problem. As for my long training runs, yep, I pee before I leave the house and try to plan my route so there's a loo at least one point along the route. And I usually stop - even if I don't feel like I have to go, I try, because if I don't I surely will within a few miles ;-).

If I'm actually racing, I find that my bladder and bowels tend to shut-up and clam-up. But boy, as soon as the race is over - outta my way!!! ;-)

How's your "Rec Check" these days? might be time for more squats/kegels.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Urge to pee on long runs!!! Help! [AZtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
The doctor says it is low testosterone & replacing it will "tighten" those muscles. Seemed to work for me.

What other side effects have you noticed from taking "T"? Just curious as I have been tested with almost zero T...and Dr. is recommending it. I'm worried of the possible side effects and just wanted to know what possibly could happen?
Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who helps women recover their bodies from pregnancy and she has a bunch of kegel and negative pressure ab work that helps strengthen those areas. She has videos of the exercises on her web site: http://perinatalfitness.ning.com/video.

Another thing to consider, when I have too much caffeine, my bladder gets irritated. Try to relax on the toilet before running and fully empty the bladder.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I'm in the same boat, and I think I'm learning two things about this: 1) I drink too much fluids, and 2) my electrolytes get too low, so even if I've got the fluid intake correct, if my electrolytes get too low I still get a strong urge to pee, even it not much comes out. My solution has been to carefully track fluid and electrolyte intake on long workouts until I get it right.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
47 here as well.. My gyn had put me on low dose Estrogen. It helped with sleep and fatigue immediately. Now, 4 months later, I have noticed that the bladder issues seem to be better. I have been wondering if it is the Estrogen. It's sure nice. I also agree on the electrolytes. A couple of endurolytes really seem to help me hang onto my fluids better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm almost 50 and had twins.

I have to pee frequently in all s/b/r.

I saw a urologist to determine if I could do anything. Twin pregnancy moved things a bit, worked on kegel type exercises and he gave me medsl...first tried long acting one Detrol then a 4-6 hour one. Both helped training and in life, but in the two races I took meds I ended up with horrible cramps on the run and upon finishing my race, my legs cramped so badly I fell over. I stopped taking it and just deal with it. In HIM or IM I just go on as needed on s/b/r.
Quote Reply
Re: Urge to pee on long runs!!! Help! [KathyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the good advice ladies. I will be watching my fluid intake and electrolytes and start doing the kegel stuff. :) I am just getting back into longer runs and *fingers crossed* I hope these hints work! Thanks for sharing!

KathyG...are you the same KathyG from BT ?!? :)
Quote Reply