Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who said war is no fun?
Quote | Reply
This one should REALLY fire up the Slowtwitch "PC" crew who seems to like to judge everyone and everything...I think it is funny as hell...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Who said war is no fun? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those interested in a follow-up:

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/...1-292925-2810106.php

Fake or not, I feel like I need a bath now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also:

(from www.bodyandsoul.typepad.com comments)

First off, I am not a PhotoShop expert, so if the pic is faked, I cannot tell.

That said, I am a U. S. Marine. Have been so since 1994. Plus, I have recently returned from duty in Iraq since the start of the war. So, I believe I can say a few things about the photo, uniform related at least.

1. As for the rank - True that it is standard for it to be all in capital letters, that has not stopped members of the Marines to just capitalize the first letter. It may be wrong, but it happens.

2. Digital Camo - Yes, the camo in the pic is the old style and is being replaced by "Digitals", recognized by small squares to form the camo patterns. These new camo uniforms have not been uniformly distributed throughout the Marine Corps yet. Many Marines, myself included went to Iraq in these old "cammies" due to limited numbers of "digitals". I have pictures if anyone is interested.

3. The vest being worn is the same style of vest that many Marines were issued. These, or the older version of the flak jacket. The vest pictured was issued as part of a new modular system that allows a variety in the setup according to the wearers' mission: rifleman, machine-gunner, etc. Yes, I already know the question. "Green camo in the desert?" We asked the same question.

4. No unit patch, no rank, no name -

Marines do not wear unit patches. That's an Army and Air Force practice. The exception being a Marine Corps emblem worn centered on the left breast pocket and centered on the "cover" or cap.

Rank is not supposed to be worn in a combat zone. At least that is what I was taught in boot camp. The reason being that indications of a higher rank, i.e. salutes, rank insignia, gives snipers a target. But, that does not stop some from wearing it in Iraq. It is at the discretion of the Unit Command.

Name tags, or "tapes" as they are called, are worn sewn directly above the right breast pocket; so, it would be covered up by the vest.

Name tapes, Marine emblems, and the "U. S. Marines" tags that are mandatory on standard utilities were not widely available for the present conflict. Thus, in some photos of Marines with the older cammies, some items may be missing.

That being said, I can say that the Marine in the picture could be an actual Marine, though the missing Marine emblem on the cover gives pause. The setting in the background is the same setup I was in. Big conex box, any usuable material scrounged up to make the living conditions "liveble".

If the sign is real, though many pics are available with different wording and all look just as real as this one, the Marine in question would not be very bright. The Marine Corps values its personal view as being the President's own. Any actions by any member to tar that image is dealt with quickly. Punishment can include court-martial, office hours, a variety of discharges, forfeiture of pay, allowances, and rank.

If the sign has been faked, and I hope it has, this Marines has been the victim of a cruel misdeed. No Marines wants the reputation of the Corps or his fellows tarnished in any such manner. We like to think we set higher standards for ourselves.

Thank you for your time.

SGT. Robinson, C. W.

This posting is here: http://bodyandsoul.typepad.com/...erican.html#comments

"Support Our Troops", indeed.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall this photo making the rounds a year ago or so. Maybe more. I thought it was established that the picture was "photoshopped".

There are websites where you can make your own "personal sign" so to speak. My fave....

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Who said war is no fun? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NOW THAT'S FUNNY

With regards to the gloved one and his on going trial: I was hoping we would have something akind to a white bronco chase totday.
Quote Reply
Re: Who said war is no fun? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Don't you all recognize Demerly in that picture? We all know Detroit has a large Arab population. That "conex box" is probably a tin shed out behind his store.
Quote Reply
Re: Who said war is no fun? [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That "conex box" is probably a tin shed out behind his store.

I thought that was his store.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply