Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery after Surgery
Quote | Reply
Hello. I am new to the tri community but have thoroughly enjoyed immersing myself into the sport. I have participated in numerous sprint distance Triathlons and Duathlons, often placing in my age group. I’m a decent runner (this year I have completed over 6 half Marathons and 1 full) but struggle at times in the swim and bike. After I decided to begin seriously training for longer distance races, I was injured (parachuting accident) and broken my ankle which required surgery.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I have to look forward to once I return to training. I was told that I should have a fast recovery due to my level of fitness prior to the surgery and I am already planning on spending more time in the pool until my range of motion returns and I can regain my strength. Are there any stretched or training plans anyone can recommend? I know it sound completely crazy but is there anything I can do beside using swim bands to work out while I'm awaiting my cast removal? I appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Thank You.
-Jelly
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery after Surgery [Jelly Trys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelly,

Speaking from an injury/surgery stand point ... the best thing you can do for it is whatever your PT tells you to do.... the only reason I am running and riding is because of my PT... so lean on yours and do anything and everything they tell you, you won't regret it.

~LBB

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Last edited by: lilbluebirds: Jul 22, 11 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with what lilbluebirds said about listening to your PT. That being said - did you have hardware (pins, etc?) put into your ankle? That may take significantly longer to feel normal again then if it's a simply break (is there such a thing as a simple break)? For what it's worth, when I broke my leg lots of hardware was added and I was on crutches for 3 months. It took me 2.5 years to feel "normal" again from a running standpoint. I was back biking probably about a year afterwards but to feel good running took the full 2.5 years. A friend of mine who was a runner and who broke her ankle also took about 2 years before her running came back fully.

I certainly hope you heal much quicker but I wish someone had told me how long it would take to get back to normal because I spent about a year absolutely frustrated and fearing I would never be an athlete again.

That being said, my abs were in better shape than ever while my leg was rehabing. I did situps every night - even while in a cast - and as soon as I could I started doing hanging situps and other ab work. I also did dips, pushups (with my knees on the ground to support myself), shouldar shrugs and other 'seated' upper body weight workouts. Swimming of course and, as much as it made me look like a huge uber-dork I also did a fair amount of water running once I could put weight back on the leg.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well, at least you have company...

I remind myself that one season does not a life make; rest, recover, and rise again next year even stronger than before. Get to the gym and work on your core strength and upper body strength.

You could even use the hamstring curl and leg extension machines since they don't require ankles to perform their range of movement.

Another machine to find is the arm bike. You can improve your cardiovascular fitness and swim readiness without worrying about infecting your stitches.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply