Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri fit help, Giant trinity
Quote | Reply
So, 1st cardinal error is i bought a medium 2010 giant trinity advanced sl using info gleaned off the web. I could not get comfy on it, so finally went for a FIST fit. not so shocking, but it is a little long for me. I am long in leg, short in torso. The small giant is too short as far as height, the medium is probably too long in reach. I was very comfortable on a large 2009 specialized transition. Does anyone know how stack and reach compare between them? I had a spec gel 50 saddel on the transition with the nose even with BB center, and I had easton attacks on the specialized and i used the stem thing that made it +8 i think (it was either the most or 2nd most up angle)

The fit indicated i was best suited for a plasma medium or parlee medium tall, but i'd like to make the giant work if i can as i doubt i'll get enough out of it if i sell to buy a parlee or plasma. I am running hte medium high front end on the giant--it has limited pad adjustment, right now i am using just 1 screw to hold the pad in the farthers back hole--but that may not be safe long term
thanks
jim
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fit help, Giant trinity [jimcav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a medium Giant Trinity Advanced SL. I'm about 5' 11 1/2" and mildly long leg/slightly shorter torso. I run a Profile TriStryke saddle in the most forward position possible and find the setup perfect with the elbow pads in the rearmost and widest position using two screws. This setup is perfect for tri's but is not UCI legal because the front of your seat will be past the bottom bracket.

Post a picture of your current fit if you have one.
Last edited by: Deak: Jul 5, 11 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fit help, Giant trinity [Deak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will see about having my wife snap an iphone pic but likely need tech help on how to post that here.
I now have an adamo saddle (my old saddle was more conventional specialized gel 50 which was nose even with BB center) I have the adamo slammed fwd, but being noseless, it is still behind the BB.
My biggest "feeling" on the giant is that the pads are too narrow-i feel like i want my elbows out. However, I have only ridden it a few times and never long.
could i ask your reach from BB centerline to A--the rear of the pad, and B the pivot center point of your shifters?

thanks
jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Adamo saddles are way too short. I tried one and it just didn't work for me. I like either a Cobb Max or the Tri Stryke. Both have long noses and they will work to shorten your reach on this bike but will also straighten your hip angle for a better run. Here are the measurements you asked for and a couple of others
BB plumbline to rear edge of pad 43.5 cm
BB plumbline to center pivot of shifters 76 cm
front nose of seat to rear edge of elbow pad 42.5 cm
BB center to seat center (directly above post) 80 cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks--i am going to compare that with my setup. i only tried the adamo at the FIST session and it felt okay for tri position--but that is not a position i am used to as i have done very little riding on the trinity and was off a tri bike for several years (only rode my transition 4 times in 2010 before injury sidelined me for 6 months--which is why i sold it). anyway, i ride very far fwd on the adamo almost hanging off the front--so figured relative to BB i'd be about the same. But i may pick up a selle smp or the tri-stryke (profile design, right?) and see how that works--obviously if i can move fwd the reach issue may go away. on the fit bike i felt best at seat angle of 80, but i think with the giant seatpost and the small rail length of the adamo i am more like 78.
thanks
jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deak wrote:
I have a medium Giant Trinity Advanced SL. I'm about 5' 11 1/2" and mildly long leg/slightly shorter torso. I run a Profile TriStryke saddle in the most forward position possible and find the setup perfect with the elbow pads in the rearmost and widest position using two screws. This setup is perfect for tri's but is not UCI legal because the front of your seat will be past the bottom bracket.

Post a picture of your current fit if you have one.
Deak
thanks--i suspect if i got a diff saddle i'd be able to hit my FIST numbers, but here is a pic--appreciate any feedback
jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could set the pads further back if you use profile's j brackets attached to the back of the extensions. They might allow you to get some more width too. Using the brackets with Profile f-19 arm rests might be more comfy.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fit help, Giant trinity [crom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! are you saying my arm angle currently is bad? i do actually have those profile j brackets but of course the holes on the Giant pad holders don't match up--i got them in case i need them just to act as support under the rear of the pad holders since i have them hanging off the back of the Giant mounting area, but I will check out the f19 pads--not sure which those are but on the fit bike i tried bars that had profile pads and i really didn't like the pads--should have asked what they were.
thanks
jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That appears to be an adamo saddle. If so, you're sitting considerably far back on it. I'd suggest orienting yourself a bit more forward on the saddle.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always have a look at the mounts Trek uses to mount the armrest to the basebar for the speedconcept. They clamp on the standard diameter extension so you could run the extensions long and mount the pad bracket off the back. There may be other brands that have similar mounts too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was just giving you an option for bringing the pads further back while giving you a greater surface area to rest your arms. check out profile website for the f-19's.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fit help, Giant trinity [crom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks--i have not done long rides but do feel the giant pads force me to be narrow and that i might feel better with them wider. I am going to look into the profile rests and pads since i already have the j holders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow! beautiful bike. enjoy it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had any luck with a stable solution bringing the aeropads back? I am having the same fit problems and am looking for a solution. I was thinking about just having a thin bracket made.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fit help, Giant trinity [tjtr0n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, i sold the trinity--wanted it to work so bad but nothing i tried had me feel comfortable and gave good handling characteristics.
good luck
jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have exactly the same issue with my Trinity, just slightly too long, considering a saddle change, or even selling. What did you buy in the end?
Thanks
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Tri fit help, Giant trinity [Alexd1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a trek. I've since had injuries that prevent Tri position so just mtb now. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doesn't look awful, but if you aren't comfortable that is a problem. I have the same bike and a saddle changed helped me also.
Quote Reply