Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foreign Protest Signs in English
Quote | Reply
Does anybody else think it is quite odd that one foreign country, that is not considered English speaking, protests the actions of another foreign country, that is also not English speaking, in English? Perhaps you will notice this more often now that I have mentioned it.

Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see this a lot. The news media provides staged photographs all the time. This is just one of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't always chalk it up to the news media. Lebanese people aren't stupid. They know that if they make some signs in English, they will have a better chance of getting on the news, and bring more attention to their cause. They also know that having signs in English will make them appear more sympathetic to the American public.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do chalk it up to the news media. They allow themselves to be manipulated. They are lazy, sound bite and photo oriented, and generally miss the story as a result.

That is exactly my point in the other thread. The news media completely missed the story. As a result you and most others miss the story. Then, when things work out as planned for the all the reasons offered ahead of time, you miss the reasons and think you have been the victim of lies.
Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I do chalk it up to the news media. They allow themselves to be manipulated. They are lazy, sound bite and photo oriented, and generally miss the story as a result."

Substitute "American public" for "news media" and I'd agree.

"The news media completely missed the story. As a result you and most others miss the story. Then, when things work out as planned for the all the reasons offered ahead of time, you miss the reasons and think you have been the victim of lies"

Don't put words in my mouth Art. I don't think we are the victim of lies. I think the administration used one pitch to sell the war, and now they can't reasonably expect not to take some hits on that pitch being inaccurate. They spun the war as primarily being defensive in nature, and now they're trying to spin it as being a force for democracy in the ME. Also, you should be careful with telling me I'm missing the story. I have a little bit greater chance than you of having to lay my life on the line for the situation, so I follow it pretty closely.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, points well taken on all counts.
Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually not at all.

Many countries learn English as a second language. I'm guessing more countries learn English as a second language than they do their neighbors language.

If two countries speak different languages it's likely they both speak English. not sure if this is the case here or not as I don' know if Syria and Lebonon speak different languages.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They both speak Arabic.

It's all propaganda.

I remember back in the clinton administration when we bombed Iraq and they took reporters to see the destruction of a "baby milk factory" and they plastered pictures all over the news of rubble with a white sign with black lettering, in english, that read "baby milk factory".
Quote Reply
Re: Foreign Protest Signs in English [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I remember that too. That was before the internet and blogs took over, so the myth of the "Baby Milk Factory" still lives.

This would be debunked in ten minutes flat today.
Quote Reply