Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Casey
Re: Do as we say, not as we do [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sat next to a Lebannonese Officer for most of 03 while attending The Army Staff college.

Your comparison is way off. Go back and read some history as to why the Syrians are there and what they had done whilst there. To compare us to the Syrians is almost insulting.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally got back from getting my Wife's car serviced so I can finally reply.

I by no means think I completely understand the nuainces or the entire scope of the problem with lebannon and Syria.

But you can't compare what we are trying to do in Iraq to what the Syrians have been doing.

- supported and assisted in open and free elections in order to estabish a government.

- currently handing out guns and training a new Iraq militray and police force.

- rebuilding infrastructure.

How many truely "occupying" Armies through history can you point to that took those kinds of actions.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can you say that you are not comparing us to the Syrians? You are doing precisely that.

If you don't understand why democracy in Iraq requires us to be there for the time being, I doubt anyone can explain it to you. Somehow, I think you know precisely why our presence is required, but you don't want to admit it for some odd reason.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 would like to see U.S troops out of Iraq so I have a personal bias

I don't think it's bias. I don't want to see my fellow comrades in arms there any longer than we have to be.

With 140,000 troops, I cannot believe that the Iraq government is dictating U.S policy. I'm not blaming Bush for that, it is a reality that Iraq is not capable, at this time and we can just hope that changes, as soon as possible.

No the iraq govn't is learnign to dictate its own policies, isn't that the point. I think you will continue to see their capability continually rise and more of these civilian protests against the insurgents, who have basically taken to killing iraqis trying to rebuild their own contry. Things are changing despite what the MSM reports, just it isn't going to happen over night.

Hell how long has the sryian army been in Lebannon and just now we are starting to see protests for them to leave? Same with Czechovakia and Poland, how long where the Russians there before the people rose up and wanted them to leave?

Jim

Off topic kind of: THe most interesting story "Ali" told our staff group was how the Syrians dealt with their "palestinian problem." At one point they just surrounded a refugee camp that was supposedly causing problems, killed everyone in it and buried the camp. End of the problem.... He didn''t have anything good to say about the Syrians or the palestinians. Most of the combat operations he had been in involved them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
a country that wants to become democratic, must do it with their own elected government and their own army

conservatives used to believe that too, when Clinton was trying to nation-build. Now that their boy is in office, they're all for it.

And yes, the original quote is very ironic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Syria occupying bad / Israel occupying good
Quote Reply
Re: Do as we say, not as we do [maybourne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really great comparison there

What's wrong with that comparison?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Do as we say, not as we do [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What's wrong with that comparison? "

What's wrong is that Syria is an established nation occupying a foreign nation, and Israel was a nation established by the occpuation of a piece of land that, although occupied by a group of people, was not a country in and of itself. If you don't see the difference, then you need some help

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Do as we say, not as we do [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By Israel ocupying land I assume Maybourne was referring to Gaza (soon to be evacuated), southern Lebanon (evacuated years ago) and parts of the West Bank.

Israel would be happy to leave all of the above if the residents would stop declaring war and killing its citizens. With the construction of the wall, that may soon be possible.

That still leaves the little matter of some of the settlements. What a disaster they have been. At least Israel seems to be finding the political will to abandon the Gaza settlements, so that is a start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't see the difference, then you need some help

I'll take all the help I can get. But I thought maybourne was referring to Israel's 20 year occupation of Lebanon, the same country we're all hot and bothered about Syria occupying all of a sudden.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Do as we say, not as we do [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought he was referring to Palestine, but maybe I'm wrong.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either way, the circumstances are very different. Saying our policy is "Israel occupying = good" is overly simplistic at best.