Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NFL Morality
Quote | Reply
I heard this today and then went to try it out and it's true. Apparently some members of the Gay and Lesbian community had taken to wearing NFL Jerseys of players with the last name "Gay," Randall Gay of the New England Patriots to name one such player. Apparently, the NFL no longer will allow you to buy an authentic replica jersey with the name "Gay" on the back. It will also not allow you to make the name "lesbian", but it will allow you to put in "I.M. Gay" or "R.U. Gay", "Dick" is fine, but not "Cock." "Bung" is fine until you make it "Bunghole," and you can make the number read "69."

Is this the stupidest attempt at instilling some sort of morality policy ever?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Morality [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The NFL is not about morality. It's about money. It and all the teams make a lot of money off of jersey sales. I'm sure their jersey policy is dictated solely by what they believe will make them the most money.

Now, whether this particular policy will accomplish that end seem dubious. . . . .
Last edited by: CTL: Mar 3, 05 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great. The NFL is now the morality police. Perhaps they should consider the morality of having felon's as their poster boys. It is all about the dough.

I really do not give a rats arse what they do. It is entertainment and I can take it or leave it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nevermind, I was wrong
Last edited by: elund: Mar 3, 05 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Morality [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The NFL is not about morality. It's about money."

I'm not sure how limiting your ability to put "bad" words on a jersey helps them make money.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that it does. I was just saying that the NFL would not be motivated by morality in determining what jerseys it would sell. Instead, it would be motivated by how much money it could make. Whether this policy would accomplish this end seems debatable to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't someone just buy a blank jersey and iron on their own letters?
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Morality [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Can't someone just buy a blank jersey and iron on their own letters?"

I'm sure they could. I'm talking about the authentic replica jerseys, though, and in the case of the word "Gay", there are actual players with that last name, so I thought it was odd that they would refuse to allow a players name on a replica jersey for the sake of not having a gay person make a statement using their shirts.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I wear this guys jersey:

# 21 Derrick Strait Position: CB
Height: 5-11
Weight: 189
Born: 08/27/1980
College: Oklahoma
NFL Experience: Rookie

http://www.nfl.com/...?http://www.nfl.com/
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Morality [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you could even spell it "straight."

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I thought it was odd that they would refuse to allow a players name on a replica jersey for the sake of not having a gay person make a statement using their shirts.

I think that's absolutely baffling.

I can understand how they might not allow "dick" or other words that are considered offensive, but "gay"?

Now that you're here, jhc, I feel compelled to comment. ;)

I suppose it hasn't occured to anyone that this isn't about the NFL trying to impose morality on people, but about the NFL trying to protect its brand.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Morality [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course it's brand protection. They don't want the NFL associated with some sort of gay rights movement. My point is that they are ok with taking a stand that being gay isn't ok to put on an NFL product. Very touchy political decision to make.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very touchy political decision to make.

Doubt it.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: NFL Morality [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, since you say so. You usually know best.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, since you say so. You usually know best.

You learn slowly, but you learn well.

Quote Reply