Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Qualifications for running the World Bank?
Quote | Reply
This is related to the qualifications for being a CEO thread.

Apparently, the qualifications for running the World Bank are that you need to have failed as a CEO. Having been booted out of HP only two weeks ago, Carly Fiorina is now being back by the White House to lead the World Bank. The previous candidate, amazingly, was Paul Wolfowitz, the number #2 at the Defense department who had no idea how many soldiers have died in Iraq and who wrongly made us all think that Iraq was about to rain WMDs on our heads.

To quote Chris Rock, we've turned into nothing but a bunch of "low-expectation-having motherfuckers." What does it say when the search for a new leader comes down to two people with pretty major blemishes on their record?

Of course, declining expectations is nothing new with the current administration. After all, it was Bush himself who named John Ashcroft Attorney General after he lost a governorship race to a dead man. Can't get worse than that.
--------------
WASHINGTON, March 1 - Carleton S. Fiorina, who lost her job as chief executive of Hewlett-Packard two weeks ago, has emerged as a strong candidate to become the next president of the World Bank, according to an official in the Bush administration.

Paul Wolfowitz, the deputy secretary of defense, is also under serious consideration, the official said, but Mr. Wolfowitz is expected to release a statement later today saying that he has been asked to stay at the Pentagon.
Last edited by: rundhc: Mar 1, 05 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Carly Fiorina to run the World Bank? [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember when she took over the reigns at HP. That's when they tried to make HP an 'internet' company. What did they do? They hired an outside agency integrate all their websites into one system. That project was a huge joke. They people they hired were lousy and wasted millions of dollars on a crappy system that didn't make anyone work better. All that 'internet' marketing crap was nothing but smoke and mirrors, nothing but a way to buy yourself into a market. She totally ruined a great engineering powerhouse.
Quote Reply
Re: Carly Fiorina to run the World Bank? [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like a perfect fit to me. She has executive experience at taking a fantastic company and turning it into a mediocre one. She should be able to take this pathetic organization and turn it into a total disaster.

After that, maybe she can run the UN. She might actually be able to completely put them out of business.
Quote Reply
Re: Carly Fiorina to run the World Bank? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this site is serious or not, but it's interesting:

http://www.worldbankpresident.org/

Quote Reply
Re: Qualifications for running the World Bank? [rundhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember when she took over at HP- she was a genuis!!! She was going to lead them into the promised land!!! There had never been a person as capable as her!!! And she's a woman, too!!!

To be fair, she didn't "ruin" a great engineering powerhouse. They were in decline well before she showed up. She didn't fix it, and maybe she accelerated the process, but she didn't wreck the place single handedly.

What does it say when the search for a new leader comes down to two people with pretty major blemishes on their record?

On the one hand, I'd hate to see these kinds of positions limited to people who had never screwed up, even majorly. You'd have a pretty hard time filling them, I suspect. And there are lots of people who have returned after screwing something up big time and achieved great things.

On the other hand, one would like to think that people should learn from their mistakes, and that takes a certain bit of time and distance. I have the vague notion that in the past, after a big screw up, a person would go away for awhile and reflect out of the public eye, returning only when the lessons of their mistake had been absorbed, and after a short time in the metaphorical penalty box. Putting oneself up for consideration for this kind of job immediately after the screw up leads me to believe that not only hasn't Fiorina (and Wolfowitz) learned from her mistake, she doesn't even believe she made any mistakes. That's troublesome.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only qualification? Pop-Star. (i prefer the pre-Zoocrapia era myself)

http://money.cnn.com/...bc.people.bono.reut/

---Politics = Poli (many) Ticks (blood sucking ectoparasites)
Quote Reply
Re: Qualifications for running the World Bank? [drmthtr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sacramento Bee had an editorial a while ago calling for Bono as head of the world bank. Apparently the guy really knows his shit when it comes to global economics and isn't another celeb with a cause. Paul O'Neill is a big fan.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: Qualifications for running the World Bank? [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the guy really knows his shit when it comes to global economics and isn't another celeb with a cause.

Like, I am so sure! It would be the coolest if Bono was in charge of the World Bank! Like, so awesome!

Give me a break. Please.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many local and state elections did Lincoln lose before he was finally elected President?

I think that decision turned out to be a pretty good one.

Note: I'm not defending Carly at all, just pointing out that people who failed at one thing can succeed at others.
Quote Reply
Re: Qualifications for running the World Bank? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the guy really knows his shit when it comes to global economics and isn't another celeb with a cause.

Like, I am so sure! It would be the coolest if Bono was in charge of the World Bank! Like, so awesome!

Give me a break. Please.

Too much cynicism Vitus.

http://www.latimes.com/...s-comment-editorials

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cynicism? Are you kidding me? You must be kidding me. You can't seriously believe Bono is actually qualified to be head of the World Bank. (I know, I know- but he cares so much!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the qualifications for the job? I'm curious.

He's made a lot more money than Carly Fiorina ever made. She tried to turn HP into a clone of Apple, failed miserably and was fired; and yet she is on the short list without any protests from you. He's a self made multi millionaire and businessman. He owns hotels, recording studios, and many other businesses in Ireland and around the world.

He has the ear of many world leaders including former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and speaks often at international conferences relating to World Bank issues. He has met with Presidents Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2 to discuss World Bank issues and 3rd world debt relief.

I'm not saying he is the ideal candidate but he has qualifications and has been an activist in World Bank issues and 3rd world debt relief since the mid 80s. 20 years of experience and know how Ms. Fiorina for example doesn't have.

Paul Wolfowitz is another name being tossed around...don't even make me go there.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's made a lot more money than Carly Fiorina ever made.

Oh, well, if he's rich, that changes everything. How soon can we sign him up?

yet she is on the short list without any protests from you.

No, she shouldn't be on the short list right now, either- I think I indicated already that I think she should go away for awhile and try to figure out the lessons of her failure at HP.

He has the ear of many world leaders including former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and speaks often at international conferences relating to World Bank issues. He has met with Presidents Bush 1, Clinton and Bush 2 to discuss World Bank issues and 3rd world debt relief.

He has the "ear" of Paul O'Neill? Good grief- the Treasury Secretary goes on a pr tour with the guy, says some nice things about him, and all of a sudden he's a genius. Presidents call him for his expert advice on the global economy. Bono speaks, and the world market listens. Get real, already.

he has qualifications and has been an activist in World Bank issues and 3rd world debt relief since the mid 80s.

Seriously, you don't think there's a rather large difference between being a celebrity activist for African debt relief and actually having the qualifications to head the World Bank?

Paul Wolfowitz is another name being tossed around...don't even make me go there.

Go wherever you want with that. You haven't heard me defend Wolfowitz's ambitions in any area, let alone this one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You still haven't said what you think the qualifications should be.

And please don't say anything to do with banking. I work in a bank and the World Bank is NOT a bank.

John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a bank and the World Bank is NOT a bank.

Really? Shoot! I was planning on running down to the local branch next week and opening a passbook savings account. Guess it's back to the mattress with my money.

(Someone really needs to let me know how to make a smiley face thingy with rolling eyes.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There is much more to Bono than just rock'n'roll.

Here's some stuff:
http://tmatt.gospelcom.net/column/2001/06/20/

Commencement Address
http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/between/2004/commence-b.html

I really, really dislike pretty much all celebrities (and politicians), as I find them very empty and selfish, but Bono is different. He might not have "business" qualifications, but he more than has human ones.

http://www.optruth.org/
Last edited by: haris: Mar 4, 05 13:13
Quote Reply
Re: Qualifications for running the World Bank? [haris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/between/2004/commence-b.html

Kermit for World Bank president!

Quote Reply