Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

whistle loud without fingers...
Quote | Reply
learning how to do this has been on my agenda for a while now, but I just can't get it working. I can do the loud whistle with the help of two fingers easily, but that doesn't work so good for signaling a car that's about to kill you while holding on to your handlebar for dear life...

can you do it? It clearly is one of the most important skills to take up for triathlon - much like the on legged squat, the flip-turn and the finish-line hero-pose...

PS: A quick youtube search gives you a lot of tutorials, but you really start wondering what motivates people ("...sorry for the saliva and the acne...", just to quote one of them) to put a whisteling-tutorial up on youtube...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: whistle loud without fingers... [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome topic.

I have been asking for the elusive no Hands, loud whistling lessons for Christmas for the last 8 years and santa has screwed me.

If anyone can teach this enviable skill, I am willing to pay for lessons. ( maybe this should fall under Tri coaching services)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can certainly do it. If you have the two hand method down the one hand should follow.... make a loop with your thumb and ring finger and keep trying

That being said I have never used it while biking. I think my voice does just fine and is much quicker. Used this weekend when a driver rolled a right turn at a stop sign right into my path. I startled her enough with a loud bark/scream she might have peed herself.

Micah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also a fingerless whistle virgin. Here in Denmark they seem to just shoute "yep yep" really loud and it works really quite well. tried it over in the UK and got some funny looks but hey I got some looks so the evil bast%rds at least looked at me and so could pretend they hadnt seen me.

http://longwaytogo-ironman.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: whistle loud without fingers... [johanandbex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can do it no problem.It drives my son nuts, because he can't whistle at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a year as a kid driving my mother crazy sitting around trying to whistle. The secret is in the shaping of your tongue. For me the tongue is rolled upinto a near tube shape and it extends past the teeth. The tongue actually touches my top lip and creates a small channel for the air to move through. Hope that helps.

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: whistle loud without fingers... [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
I spent a year as a kid driving my mother crazy sitting around trying to whistle. The secret is in the shaping of your tongue. For me the tongue is rolled upinto a near tube shape and it extends past the teeth. The tongue actually touches my top lip and creates a small channel for the air to move through. Hope that helps.

I have been doing it longer than I can remember. I use it to get the attention of my kids too (my dad did this). We can be in a crowded location say Disneyland and I can whistle and you will see all three heads turn to see what I am wanting. I do it very similar to the above but my tongue does not touch my lip but instead is touching my top teeth right on the bottom edge.. You do kind of curl it and make a channel that then runs down about 1/4 inch from the tip of the tongue. I have since taught all my daughters to do it and it takes alot of practice. Start by using very little air and just working on the tongue position you will eventually get a low airy whistle and from there you progress to strengthen the tongue as you provide more air force. As you apply more power the shape of your tongue will change slightly too. Just keep trying and you will get it. the key is not to try and whistle loud right off the bat. You will never get it that way. Start soft and low and progress from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was a boy my older brother could whistle really loudly while inserting two fingers into his mouth. I wanted to whistle loudly but my brother was a mechanic then and his hands were always greasy - that part freaked me out. I took ~2 months and just dedicated myself to learning to whistle loud sans fingers.

It has helped me immensely - back in the day as a ski instructor and now as a cyclist & triathlon coach. I feel as if I fold my tongue a bit at the base of my two front teeth then pull my chin down so my lower lip is flat/tense against lower teeth. That's the best I can do to describe it. I do know that constant practice will reward.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: whistle loud without fingers... [Fishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishman wrote:
Awesome topic.

I have been asking for the elusive no Hands, loud whistling lessons for Christmas for the last 8 years and santa has screwed me.

If anyone can teach this enviable skill, I am willing to pay for lessons. ( maybe this should fall under Tri coaching services)

I know this is an old thread, but you guys are my target audience as I'm starting a Fingerless Taxi Whistle coaching service right now. I'm offering free Skype lessons at the moment if you're interested in learning the method I learned from my good ol' Grandpa.

If you're a Triathlete and are still interested in learning this ear-splitting, no-hands whistle safety skill, please visit my landing page here to sign up for a free coaching session with me!

https://modernmanimal.com/whistle
Quote Reply
Re: whistle loud without fingers... [Modern Manimal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're a Triathlete and are still interested in learning this ear-splitting, no-hands whistle safety skill, please visit my landing page here to sign up for a free coaching session with me!

As triathletes, we don't want anything free, we want to pay a lot but need cd's, books and of course t-shirts.
Quote Reply
Re: whistle loud without fingers... [SKIBUMM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have been doing it longer than I can remember. I use it to get the attention of my kids too (my dad did this). We can be in a crowded location say Disneyland and I can whistle and you will see all three heads turn to see what I am wanting. I do it very similar to the above but my tongue does not touch my lip but instead is touching my top teeth right on the bottom edge.. You do kind of curl it and make a channel that then runs down about 1/4 inch from the tip of the tongue. I have since taught all my daughters to do it and it takes alot of practice. Start by using very little air and just working on the tongue position you will eventually get a low airy whistle and from there you progress to strengthen the tongue as you provide more air force. As you apply more power the shape of your tongue will change slightly too. Just keep trying and you will get it. the key is not to try and whistle loud right off the bat. You will never get it that way. Start soft and low and progress from there.
--------------------

You made me laugh! As a kid when my dad whistled the "family whistle"....all heads turned and we came running. I followed suit and did that with my kids and family. It is a great way to communicate and be heard!

I was at the Masters Par 3 tournament a few years ago, standing on the 1st tee watching Nicklaus, Player and Ben Crenshaw (with Arnold sitting in a chair next to the tee box). After Jack hit his tee shot, I whistled and my son watching on line, at work, back in Salt Lake laughed out loud and said ....there's my dad! It was not pre planned or orchestrated.

CJ
Slow, Old Guy
Quote Reply