Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to cheaply add components to a frame? or Build a bike I like for less!?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at getting a Cervelo w/i the next 6 months. A P2K...but I am going to put Dura-Ace on it. Is it cheaper to get it that way from (A) manufacturer (B) bike shop (c) find all components on sale or ebay and try to save some pesos that way? (don't need wheels - just components, base/aero bars)

Thanks for input!
Quote Reply
Re: How to cheaply add components to a frame? or Build a bike I like for less!? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
traditionaly the cheapest way to buy parts if to buy them bolted onto a bike. buying power, and all that. with DA this is lessened somewhat, tho. the downside to getting the stuff on the bike is that many times the company will "cheap out" less visible items such as the headset or seatpost or bb. plus, you can't pick out the occasional exotic item such as brew brakes or a swank ti stem or other chi chi item. the way i always figure it you can never have EXACTLY the trickest car, boat, or other toy just the way you want it - but you CAN have the exact bike you dream of right down to the last titanium derailleur jockey wheel bolt if you want, for a reasonable price (relatively speaking). why not go for it?
Quote Reply
I have to agree. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do get better pricing from my vendors when buying kits than individual components, and that is generally passed on. So, buying a complete bike and being sure you get the right compomemts up front is probably the most economical way to own the bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Buying a complete bike (particularly a yearend closeout)... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...will often yield the most bang for the buck. Unless within your time window you can find a screaming deal on what you want on ebay, or some similar site.

vo2

Wise words from old pappy: "Son, whenever you're invited to a knife fight, bring a gun".
Quote Reply
Re: Buying a complete bike (particularly a yearend closeout)... [vo2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   I recommend watching Ebay. A savvy, patient buyer can often find great buys on lightly used frames and groupos. In some circles Ebay is truly a four letter word, especially for the LBSs. On the other hand, I picked up a 2002 Specialized Allez Comp for $800. It had less than 200 miles on it and I actually bought it in November of 2001! The $1200 I saved myself went right into upgrades and goodies (especially better wheels!), all of which I got at the LBS that I stiffed for the complete bike. I like to support my LBS, but even my LBS guy said he wouldn't pass up a deal like that. Besides...he makes more margin on parts anyway.

Another friend recently put together a whole bike from several auctions for about $2500 less than he'd have paid new. Actually the kit was a new DA kit and the wheels were new Ksyrium SLs.
Quote Reply
Re: I have to agree. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I do get better pricing from my vendors when buying kits than individual components..."
My question to that would be, is it really worth it to buy the whole gruppo, though, when you won't even be using the most expensive part (shifter/brake levers)? Buying the group is a good deal when you're building a road bike up from scratch, but do Shimano/Campy even sell combos/kits that reflect a tri bike's differing componentry?
Quote Reply
Re: How to cheaply add components to a frame? or Build a bike I like for less!? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For road parts I would definately keep an eye out on
roadbikereview.com (their classified section)

My advice for buying parts is, have an idea of what you want (the more specific the better) and keep an eye out for it... it is pretty hard to just look around for the best deal... better to have one thing you are looking for, knwo the retail, know the range at which it goes for used, and be diligent...

Also with used shimano parts be sure you are getting what you think you are getting by paying attention to the model numbers... some of the stuff can look pretty similar...

Also I have found that Jenson-usa has the best prices on the shimano stuff new... they are no longer carrying the stuff so you should be able to get a good price...

Still the best way to go usually is to buy the bike with all of the stuff on it already... and if there is something you don't like on it swap it out and sell it on Ebay

good luck
Quote Reply
Re: I have to agree. [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you go to your LBS, you can order a kit through QBP---specifically you can choose what items you want in your kit---you dont have to choose the STI's. I think its way cheaper to go through ebay or a newsgroup though. I've built my bike up part by part and continue to do so. When i got all of the nicest items on my current frame, I can buy a P2k or something, frame only, switch over the components, sell my old frame which will help offset the cost of the newer one.

Another thought, work 4 hrs a week at your LBS, REI or other shop and you'll never want to pay retail again, cause the prodeals are that good. Shimano's prodeals are over 50% off. The latest Giro helmet for $50. Profile has got a great discount program as well.

Have fun!

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have been watching Ebay - as a buyer and a seller (when I buy I tend to have to sell the old). Most complete bikes tend to sell for 20% less than they seem worth. Most component - especiall dura ace or ultegra level - go for just under mail oreder - even when used. I was collecting parts to build a frame that I already had. Ended up buying a whole bike from the lbs because it was much cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: How to cheaply add components to a frame? or Build a bike I like for less!? [MS.kansan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tricked out my TT bike over the last 2 yrs buying something I wanted here and there vs buying it all at once. Took me 2 yrs but well worth it especially since it is a mix of DA and aftermarket exotic parts. Never seemed that I was spending loads of $ either since it was a part here and a part or two there.
Quote Reply
Re: How to cheaply add components to a frame? or Build a bike I like for less!? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have always built my bikes in this manner - buying the frame and then building with used parts off the internet. However, I have recently become good friends with the manager of a LBS which has certainly lead to some "perks." I like to option of building as I go as I generally get better deals, but more importantly, get what I want the first time. If you are on a specific time line, this method may not be the best option as it may take time to find what you want at a good price.

Another positive for me is the aspect of working/building up the bike. After I gave up the street/strip car thing, building/working on bikes still allows me to at least use a few tools now and again (my 1/2" torque wrench is getting dusty however).
Quote Reply
Re: I have to agree. [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen a couple of places that sell triathlon specific component groups, i.e. cowhorns instead of drops, bar ends instead STI's. I think I saw one on Colorado Cyclist and Nytro. Not entirely sure about these sites, but I know tri specific groups can be found.

RP
Quote Reply