Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band
Quote | Reply

First Bob Dylan (is he still a Born Again?), and now this guy. I dunno.....I don't think "Freak On A Leash" will play well in the choir ;-)

Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band
Reuters | 02.22.05 | Jonathan Cohen

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch has parted ways with the hard rock act, citing a recent religious awakening.

Welch broke the news Sunday on Bakersfield, Calif., station KRAB-FM.

"I had it in my heart to come here and explain to you," Welch said. "I'm good friends with Korn. I love those guys, and they love me, and they're very happy for me."

Addressing the aggressive tone of the music he made with Korn, Welch said, "Anger is a good thing, and if kids want to listen to Korn, good, but there's happiness after the anger. I'm going to show it through my actions how much I love my fans."

Welch added that he would be appearing at a local church on Feb. 27, during which time he would "speak (about) how I got to this place in my life, and I'll answer all your questions."

On its official Web site (http://www.korn.com), Korn's remaining members said they respect Welch's wishes and hope "he finds the happiness he is searching for." The group is in the studio working on a new album, due in September, which will be its first since fulfilling its contract with Epic last year.

For now, no replacement for Welch has been named, nor has a new label home for the band.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I give him six months, till the checks stop coming in. Then he'll find a way to come back to the band !

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finds God, what a shame. He could have pulled a Cobain/Morrison/Joplin/Hendrix/Hutchence...and become more famous dead then alive.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't he relaize he isn't making Christianity better he's making rock worse!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Mustaine (lead singer of my fav band Megadeth) has also become a Christian and even played a bit on the Christian-Rock band Pillar's latest album (which is awesome BTW).

http://www.christianpost.com/...ve.of.megadeth/1.htm

I guess, in this thread, I'm the only one that's happy for the guy? I'm very happy for Mustaine (big fan) ... I would have figured him to be dead from (yet) another OD long before he would ever become a Christian. That shows the breadth of my knowledge.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Feb 25, 05 15:43
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Big Kahuna is probably happy... unless I miss my mark, he has had posts in support of Christianity before on this forum.

I was thrilled to see this post... hopefully it will give all the kids who dig Korn something to think about.

Along with Mustaine, are you familiar with Gary Cherone of Extreme/Van Halen fame. His post-VH band is called "Tribe of Judah" (hence my "toj" member name on Slowtwitch). The Christian message is subtle... in fact, you really need to know what you are looking for to get it, from a perspective of apologetics and spiritual "relativism." But their "Exit Elvis" album absolutely ROCKS. Cherone has amazing Biblical lyrics through some of his Extreme and VH songs, as well.

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm happy to see any person become happy with their own choice in the direction they want to take their life in. I was being slightly facetious about the article. You know, just a gently poke at the more secular-humanist among us here on this forum ;-)

I'll use a bad pun here and say he got "Godsmack(ed)". :-))

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you heard but SLIPKNOT is now a Christian act. Saw them recently & all the songs had titles like "Jesus War" "Right is Might" "The Logic of God" "Turn up the God Volume" "Kick an Ass for God" and (my fave) "My God Can Kick Your God's Ass." Weird.

I guess I better stick with the Pixies.
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I've really gotta wonder if that's a sign that the Apocalypse is upon us. Slipknot? Good, lord.

I remember when that guy in that old rock band, Grand Funk, got religion (Mark Farner?). He changed the name of that song of theirs, "We're an American Band", to "We're a Christian Band". Somehow, it just didn't kick as much booty as it used to under the old title ;-)

Let's start a list of rockers or celebrities who've gotten the religion bug over the years. I'll start with that former hottie babe, Vanity. She got it about ten years ago, and is singing choir and praising the Lord all over the place, nowadays.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Christian message is subtle... in fact, you really need to know what you are looking for to get it, from a perspective of apologetics and spiritual "relativism."

From what I gather, there is a division amongst Christian music fans regarding "Christian Bands" (P.O.D. maybe Creed, etc) that do not have an overtly Christian message. I gather that there is a concern that non-Christians enjoy the music, maybe even think that being a "Jesus Freak" is cool, but will not go past just liking the music and the "cool" image.

My favorite Christian band Pillar's last album does not contain the overtly Christian message that their previous albums have had. I teach (high school) many teens (non-Christians) that really dig Pillar's music ... many of them are in bands and play a few Pillar songs. Even at Christian concerts like Cornerstone, there has been a growing concern that not all of the bands have a definitive "Christian" message. Skillet and Shinedown (I think the lead singer sounds a little like Chris Cornell of Soundgarden/Audioslave) are other Christian bands that most teens enjoy.

POD's song "Alive" comes to mind. The song is about feeling "Alive" for the first time ... once they found God. But, the song has been anything and everything ... from an anthem to young Christians to the theme song for ESPN's X-Games. Some view that as positive, others don't.

I am happy that bands can come out and say they are Christians and not have that be a death-sentence to their chosen career. Christian rock has come a long way (in talent) from Stryper's "To Hell with the devil". =)

I'll check out Tribe of Judah.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bring back Petra I say
non rock stars converting to Christianity...Ted DiBiase 'the million dollar man' and Road Warrior Hawk from wrestling.
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That band, Jars of Clay, had a big hit back in '96 with that song "The Flood". It was played on all the alternative rock stations, if I remember. Hell, I bought the CD (and still have it), and didn't even know that they were a Christian rock group.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it weren't for the name Creed and that their lyrics actually do have a message (if you actually listen to the words) one might not know they were christian either. Not sure if that's a shame or not. The number of christian bands out there and the variety of musical styles is awesome. It seems no matter what you listen to (rap, blues, rock etc) there is likely a christian band that plays it. You want to reach everyone you gotta go to their level.
Quote Reply
Re: Man, What's The World Coming To? Korn Guitarist Finds God, Leaves Band [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could never get past the fact that Creed sucked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In addition to "Tribe of Judah" dig back and check out some of the Extreme stuff. They were so much more (i.e., harder) than their "More Than Words" accoustic hit would indicate.

In particular, the album "Three Sides To Every Story" is layered with the Christian message. I can hook you up with some of the lyrics, if you would like... Here is one example off of their first album.

"Watching, Waiting"

Hanging above the ground
All my limbs are bound
You're on the right hand
With your head down
Tears from eyes that cannot see
He took the blame from me
So shall it be written
So shall it be done

Watching, waiting
Staring at the Son
Watching, waiting
Staring at the Son
Not even knowing
Who you are

Three hours have gone by
We start to question why
Darkness falls in finding out
Why you must die
We can no longer see the Son
Three unite into One
Please forgive us Father
We know not what we've done

Watching, waiting
Staring at the Son
Watching, waiting
Staring at the Son
Not even knowing
Who you are.

ray
Last edited by: toj: Feb 27, 05 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, what about Stryper???

Got to love a band that releases and album called "To Hell With The Devil"

Yup. A Christian "Hair Band". What more could you ask for? ;-) I remember that they used to toss those little minature New Testament bibles out into their audiences. MTV used to play one of their songs a lot, too.

Tony

P.S. Boy, for a Christian band, Creed's lead singer, Scott Stapp, sure used to hit the bottle hard. I did like that song of their's from '99 on their first album, I think. "One"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTV used to play one of their songs a lot, too.

Yep, that's how I heard of them. I remember the bible tossing too.

Boy, for a Christian band, Creed's lead singer, Scott Stapp, sure used to hit the bottle hard.

One might think that a repentant sinner would be the best frontman for a Christian band....

Dude, what about Stryper???

I mentioned them earlier. Every discussion on Christian rock/metal starts (for better or worse) with Stryper. Actually if you listen to "To Hell With the Devil", Stryper ain't that bad (for a hair band). I can think of quite a few hair bands that Stryper is better than (not that it is saying all that much).

Stryper. Man, talk about a memory jog. LOL.

----------------------------

As for Scott Strapp, etc .... I don't know too many Christians that have lived an "overtly Christian life" their entire existence. Most of us have strayed (sometimes very far away) at one point or another.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops, so you did. I missed that... but at least now we have a pic ;)