Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beware ITM stems. Customer service stinks.
Quote | Reply
I bought one of those superlight, superexpensive ITM stems about a year ago. They call it The Stem. It weighs in at about 95 grams.

I am an underpowered lightweight. Well, I used to be a lightweight, but I am still underpowered. Never the less, I broke the stem during a particularly rough ride. Fortunately I live in Florida, but I can't imagine the consequences had I instead broken it during IM Lake Placid.

It is coming up on two months now since I returned my stem to Italy expecting them to honor their two year warranty. I still can't get an answer on when, if ever, they will replace it. I get one broken promise after another on when they will respond. You don't expect this for a $200 part.

I am now going to sell the rest of my ITM stems and replace them with Ritchey. If I ever get the warranty honored, I will sell that one too.

Buyer beware,
Quote Reply
Re: Beware ITM stems. Customer service stinks. [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that really sucks. Can't believe ITM CS would treat you like this.

I currently have ITM Millennium stems on both my Tri bike and my road bike. No problems to date (the oldest is about 3 years old). Personally I would never buy a stem that only weighed 95 grams, and if it broke I would think I got what I deserved. I personally wont own a stem that isn't constructed from forged aluminium and weighs at least 150 grams. Of course I weigh 190 lb, a lighter stem may be perfectly acceptable for lighter riders. I wouldn't risk it for a paltry 60 grams or so, however. A broken stem at 20 mph isn't something I want to experience.

Jeff Johnson
Tucker, GA
Quote Reply
Re: Beware ITM stems. Customer service stinks. [jdjohnson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you can make a good case that I got what I deserved. 95 grams is a bit nuts. I weigh in at around 155, so it seemed at least reasonable to me.

In fairness I have used their aluminum stems and been happy with them. They are on their way out the door now though. I am a bit ticked, as I guess you can tell.
Quote Reply