Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Reynolds Ouzo Aero on Cervelo P3
Quote | Reply
I just spent a week in Lake Placid after having replaced the old Profile BDC fork on my 650c Cervelo P3. I put on my new Reynold Ouzo Pro Aero fork. That was the smartest thing I ever did for my bike. The dumbest thing I ever did was ride for three years with the old fork.

I now know that at least half of my pathetic descending ability was because of the old fork. Right from the first trip down the Keene hill, the bike was far more stable in response to cross winds caused by cars, trucks, or nature. We are talking day and night. All six trips down the hill were significantly faster than in previous years, and I was relaxed and confident. Previously, I typically needed to change my shorts at the bottom.

I am guessing the reason for the change is that the Reynolds fork has a lot of surface area behind the axle so that a cross wind will tend to turn the front wheel slightly into the wind. The Profile BDC is straight so it doesn't do that. The Reynolds fork is a lot lighter, but I am compensating for that by being a lot heavier around the stomach.

I am not sure if my experience proves that the Reynolds fork is great or the Profile fork is terrible or some combination of the two. It does prove that you should get rid of the BDC tomorrow, if you still have one.

No more death grip,
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds Ouzo Aero on Cervelo P3 [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The brand of the fork may be less important than the rake of the fork. Cervelo P3's NEED a 43mm rake fork. I didn't see a rake listed on the Profile sight, but that BDC looks awful straight. Your Reynolds may have a 43mm rake, thus solving your handling problem. Just a thought.

That said, how was Placid? I'm doing my 1st Ironman in July, and that's where I'm doing it. Any words of wisdom?

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds Ouzo Aero on Cervelo P3 [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Profile BDC was original equipment and Gerard specs a 43 mm rake for the fork on this bike. I believe both forks have the same rake, but I can not measure this parameter accurately.

The hills were everything I remembered. I guess I have two items of wisdom. One, make sure you have low gears and use them. I am embarassed to tell you how low my lowest gear will be. Suffice it to say I can spin 90 rpm at less than 8 mph. Two, be patient on the bike. Take as much time on the bike as you have to while insuring that you don't fry your legs and you stay well fed and hydrated. The smartest thing I did when I did the full 112 miles was give myself a three minute stand down at mile 86 to eat and drink.

For MOPs like me, this race is all about how much of the marathon you can run. Five minutes on the swim or 15 minutes on the bike doesn't matter one way or the other compared to whether or not you can run most of the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird on the fork. I have to admit I have an Ouzo Comp on my road bike, and an Ouzo Pro on my Softride Rocket R1, which is my tri race bike. I like them both real well, though an aluminum steerer, on the Comp, inspires a little more confidence. 6'2" / 198 lbs.

Thanks for the advice. Given this is my first, I'll be going conservatively. I'm planning on watching my heart rate pretty carefully, and have really been practicing nutrition. Got the big gears on the Zipps already!

Thanks again,

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an Ouzo Aero and had to special order 43mm rake. Apparently they don't build it that way yet for stock, which seems odd, but that's what I was told. You may be suprised to find your new fork is 40mm. I don't know how to measure it, but I think there is a sticker on the steerer tube with that info.
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds Ouzo Aero on Cervelo P3 [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are right. I did this homework once, so I just went back through it. The fork I put on has a 40 mm rake. I believe the BDC had the same rake, but I just can't find those specs anywhere. The Profile web site stinks and it never changes.

Regardless, I don't think the big performance improvement was fork rake related. The big difference was behavior in presence of cross winds. I am pretty sure it is because of the geometry. The BDC is straight and the axle hits in the middle of the blade of the fork. The Ouzo curves toward the axle from the back and the axle rides near the front edge of the blade of the fork. There is a lot more surface area of the fork behind the axle as a result in the Reynolds fork.

Just my guess anyway,
Last edited by: ajfranke: Jun 26, 03 16:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yolu're both right, or wrong, depending how you look at it. I believe Art has a 650c P3, so comparing the 700c rakes of the two forks is not that useful :-). And in 700c, putting an Ouzo Aero on the P3 has been known to cause problems.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds Ouzo Aero on Cervelo P3 [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I will never beat you down that hill....I hope your smiles were as big as mine have always been at the bottom turning into Jay!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds Ouzo Aero on Cervelo P3 [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh...and I have a pair of new PDC forks in my closet...I am thinking maybe one day I can collect enough of those bricks to build a shelther that my protect me from the Big Bad Wolf...that damn fork is a BRICK!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Reynolds Ouzo Aero on Cervelo P3 [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I seriously doubt I will beat you down that hill unless you decide to swim the length of Lake Cascade along the way, while carrying your bike.

Actually, that lake has some serious family history for me. My grandmother went through the ice on that lake on her wedding night. It was Christmas night, 1916. Fortunately me for me, her hand reached up and caught the runner, and the horses dragged her back up as they fought to not break through themselves.

Enjoy your swim next month.

When you finish, enjoy your shower, a few beers, a couple of big Macs, a quick nap, then come down and cheer me in to the finish.
Quote Reply