Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sore bits from long ride?
Quote | Reply
My wife just started ramping up her training for Rev3. She has a solid run base and now wants to build her bike base for her first 70.3 in June. She's been riding 30-35 mile rides and will move that up to 50mile rides but yesterday mentioned to me she's getting pretty sore from friction down in her lady bits and is concerned for the longer time in the saddle.

I gave her a tub of some assos cream (though I've never tied it, but had it in my tri bag) but she's reluctant to try it because she gets sensitive in that area and doesn't want anything that might lead to other issues.

So, I told her I'd post something on ST and see what you ladies are using and if you have any advice to pass on. She has a stock saddle on her road bike and is not planning to get a tri bike any time soon, but she might be open to a new saddle suggestion.

Mainly, I'd like to know if there is a body-glide type thing/cream you'd recommend that she try that can go directly onto the skin and won't be bothersome but will stop the friction and give her some comfort.

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [kosherdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
assos is the best i've tried for anti-friction. if she doesn't like the very mild tingly sensation from the witch hazel in it, chamois butt'r is almost as effective for anti-chafe but doesn't use witch hazel.

tell her not to be shy when applying, either. generously lather up right before riding, then remove shorts& have a wash (if possible) asap when the ride is done.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I moved from a specialized tri tip to adamo and the relief was instant; bit of chaffing initially on the adamo but that's gone now. Worth ringing around seeing who does try before you buy adamos/cobbs etc. I did that - loaned an adamo for 2-3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [chezchapstick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on the Adamo. Yesterday was 70 miles of riding with no pain on the privates.

My favorite lube is Sportslick, which is antibacterial and antifungal. It doesn't sting at all.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ladies! I'll pass this info along and hopefully there will be even more long rides in her future!

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she's considering trying alternate saddles, definitely look for a place where they'll loan you a saddle before you buy, because everyone's different. For instance, I can't sit on the Adamo for more than an hour without experiencing excruciating pain in my sitbones. It can also be irritating if your bike shorts or tri shorts have seams in inconvenient places.

I think the creams mentioned by others are probably the best in terms of anti-friction, but since I have pretty sensitive skin I actually use KY "personal lubricant" (as they call it) on rides of 50 miles or less. It dissipates a little faster than some of the thicker creams, but if you use a lot of it it works fine and I think it's the least irritating thing you can put on your lady parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
make sure her shorts are tight enough. A lot of newbies like to wear shorts that are a little too lose. that adds friction. Other than that it's pretty much trial and error to see what saddle works for you and what lube you like best. The only real across the board thing about lube is to make sure it's not water soluble so it will last longer. And to lube up well. in all the nooks and crannies :-) Sometimes adding some to the seams of the pad helps out too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kosherdave wrote:
Thanks ladies! I'll pass this info along and hopefully there will be even more long rides in her future!
Tell her to try this stuff http://www.stayswetlonger.com/...s/wet_platinum.shtml. It works for more than its intended purpose. It is good for removing wetsuits and chafing.

Quote | Reply
one product I love is Hoo Ha Ride Glide from Reflect Sports. Its amazing--I use it for biking and long runs.
Ditto to being generous with the lube

Quote | Reply
I've never really found a chamois cream I'm that fond of. I think the worst was some "Belgian" cream that claimed cooling effects - it turns out that mostly just burns on a woman's skin. I did however get a very minimally padded saddle (I use the San Marco Glamour Aspide on one bike, and the SMP Stratos on the other) paired with a solid chamois - right now all I wear are Sugoi RS shorts. And definitely make sure the shorts are super snug and not bunching, I find I get really sore if my chamois is not right up against my skin the whole ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we've got forum threads on chamois cream. the regular "chamois butter" has no menthol or wintergreen, as does assos. i like the whoopee between my legs, but not everyone does. you'll probably like non-whoopee chamois butter.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When / if you have an 'innie' instead of an 'outie' you'll know why the burning sensation from menthol inside your body is not such a good idea.

The new poster Transgender has the unique perspective to speak with authority on this subject...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back home now from completing 142 miles of biking and I can happily report that I have no lady-bit issues from the Adamo saddle.

My ride was done almost entirely in the aero position, so if she doesn't have at least clip-on bars, then my post may be of little use. That said, for rolling forward and down into an aggressive position, the wider cutout in the Adamo saddle allowed me to be comfortable and powerful.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [JenniferLeah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenniferLeah wrote:
one product I love is Hoo Ha Ride Glide from Reflect Sports. Its amazing--I use it for biking and long runs.

Second the Hoo Ha Ride Glide. I also use a females specific saddle and have it at a bit of a forward angle so that my ladybits aren't bearing as much weight as the sitbones.

Works for me, but IMO the coochie's going to hurt after 100 miles, no matter what you do.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe i'm weird, but i have no problem using assos chamois creme with menthol in it, and use inyangi's nubutte (which also has menthol) as well. it's a bit tingly, but nothing like the burning sensation i keep hearing about...but i wouldn't say i get any on the "inside", either..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I was having some similar issues that no amount of lube was fixing. Someone suggested to me that I lower my saddle a tiny bit. I lowered it just about 1/2 a centimeter and it made a huge difference.

I also know that I have different shorts that are better for going longer....some are perfectly comfortable up to about 2 hours, but anything over that, it is bad. Other kinds I have are good for the longer rides. So your wife may need to try out a few different kinds of shorts before she finds one that is more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Sore bits from long ride? [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuvMyCrappyBike wrote:
JenniferLeah wrote:

Second the Hoo Ha Ride Glide. I also use a females specific saddle and have it at a bit of a forward angle so that my ladybits aren't bearing as much weight as the sitbones.

Works for me, but IMO the coochie's going to hurt after 100 miles, no matter what you do.

I love Hoo Ha Ride Glide and I also like Assos. Hoo Ha has more 'kick' than assos, so if the tingle scares you then be forewarned.

So far have only used these two road riding (became more of a cyclist this year) - but I do have TONS of time in the saddle....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a friend recommend Palmers Cocoa Butter formula. Tried it and works great, my girlfriend also uses it and thinks it is the best without the tingle of Assos. Cheap also.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Last edited by: WryMouth: May 18, 11 11:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, I always have some "spring soreness" as I move to longer rides and outside. After a few weeks it goes away, and doesn't come back for the rest of the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't use anything with witch hazel or European chamois creme.

I assume she has had a bike fit? If not start there

Add chamois butt'r

Does she ride with clip on aero bars? If so squishing issues may occur..be sure she rolls her hips as position is different as you probably know.

If that doesn't work consider new saddle. Is it Friction or squished issue? For squished lady parts, going with a saddle with big cut out helps. I ride SMP glider..different models with different widths on my tri bike. On road bike I like Specialized saddle that comes standard on Tarmac but I don't ride nearly as long and I move around more than on my tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...I'd recommend different shorts! I've never used any of these but I know that it took me a while to find the right bottoms - now I stick to De Soto 400mile Bike Short for longer rides - no chafing, no creams, no problems!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply