Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TUFO sealant have you used it ?
Quote | Reply
 How well does this stuff work ? Do I need to carry a extra tire around If I have this in my bag ? If you flat in a half IM would you try using the sealant first Or would you just put the stuff in before in case of a flat ? If I put the sealant in now before the flat can the air be let out of the tire later or do you ride them to death?

Thanks Dirtball
Quote Reply
Re: TUFO sealant have you used it ? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep.
I filled my two tires and the spare before mounting the first time. No flat so far, so I can't tell you how well it seals. The valve stems work normally, but you have to make sure it's "empty" before you depress it before inflating (it makes the valves a bit "sticky" so you need to let some air out before you put some in, and you want to make sure only air comes out).

The Tufos are the most bomb proof tires I've ridden in a long time. I ride the crappiest they make: the C S22 (clincher tubie). I've put quite some mileage in them, and I can't find cuts. I'm always carrying a spare: if you truly slice a tire, the sealant won't do much for you. Actually, I think it could be a good idea to install fenders if you ride in areas with lots of broken glass. :) (*)

Dre'

(*) The first, and last, time I filled MTB tubes with Slime. Wheel ahead never signaled the "debris". I rolled *onto* the beer bottle, the front cleared, but the rear wheel crushed it. 1" long gash. Phospho green stuff *everywhere* ...
Quote Reply
Re: TUFO sealant have you used it ? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its meant to be put in the tire in case of a flat as opposed to being used when you flat.

I use it in my Tufo tubular clinchers. Punctured once (these tires really are bombproof), and the sealant worked like a charm.

I heard a hissing noise for a few rotations, then nothing...I wasnt even sure what it was at first. I was heading home and was still about 25 mi out when it happened. I road the rest of the way home and when I inspected the tire I was amazed to see a slice about 1cm long across the tread of the tire. The sealant completely sealed the slice. I'm sure the slice didn't go all the way through all the layers of the tire over its full length, but this was definately more than a puncture.

The tire went flat overnight, but I was seriously impressed that it got me home.

I would definately recommend.
Quote Reply