Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Computrainer questions
Quote | Reply
     I just bought a laptop computer for my wife yesterday, and was hoping that it is good enough to use for a computrainer. (the deal was that she gets a new computer if she can see to it that Santa brings me a computrainer later this year). It was a high-end laptop that I bought, but I'm not sure what the requirements are for a computrainer. Also, how good of a training tool is a computrainer? This winter, I biked on a fluid trainer with the Spinervals DVDs - How does the computrainer compare? What courses does the computrainer come with? Also, which version of the computrainer is best to buy - I went onto their website and it is a little difficult to understand what the differences are between the different versions.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer questions [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you have a fairly robust video card. If you have a sub-notebook, it probably won't work (my IBM sub can't take it). If you have a recent "desktop replacement" type notebook you should be fine. 32mb of video memory or more is a good idea.

CT comes with a ton of courses...you won't get bored. More and more are being created all the time (lot's of people out there with Delorme software). I have a CT 3D which I purchased in December.......it saved my ass training for IM Idaho as I would never have gotten the time in otherwise.

Personally, I don't use the courses very often....most of my riding is on spinscan and I vary resistance based on what kind of interval I want to do.....I know plenty of others that only race courses though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The details below are from the Computrainer web site - so should be relatively easy to check -

I bought one last year and love it - makes training indoors easier and for me anyway better quality work outs

I bought the Pro 3D version because I figured that given I was spending over a thousand dollars might as well spend extra 100 bucks or so for the latest version Pro 3D (v3.0) System Requirements:

• Intel Pentium II, Intel Celeron, or AMD K6-2 class processor, or higher.

• 64+MB RAM or higher recommended (256MB for Win2000/XP)

• Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP
    For compatibility issues or to try our free CompuTrainer 3D version 3.0 demo click here.

• One Serial or USB Port per CompuTrainer.
    (Note: use of a USB port requires a USB-to-Serial adapter)

• Microsoft DirectX 7.0 or higher.

• 16MB DirectX 7 compatible Video Card*.
    *Video Drivers must be written for and compatible with DirectX 7.0 or higher.
    *CompuTrainer 3D v3.0 has experienced problems with the Intel 82845G video chipset. A new graphics driver released on March 7, 2003 has repaired most issues. Download the latest Intel 82845G video driver at: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Support_Intel.asp
    *Don't know how much video RAM you have? Click here for help in determining existing Video-RAM.

• CD-ROM drive (needed for software installation purposes only)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just about any PC can run the Computrainer Pro PC1 software. I use an old laptop and just run the PC1 software in full screen SpinScan mode. It might not look as nice, especially for riding courses, but it's perfect for intervals.

The 3D software is another story. The key component is the video card/subsystem. My sister's Dell Inspiron 8100 with the upgraded 32Mb video system runs it nicely. Make sure you download any updates to the driver software also.

I think the Computrainer is a fantasic piece of training equipment. Because of limited time, I ride my CT 2 mornings a week, even in nice weather. :-0 It's just much easier to hop on the bike in the basement, hammer out a specific/targeted workout in 60 - 90 minutes and be done. I get outside on the weekends for my long rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simple answer to the question, "Will my computer run this?" If you want the 3D software, download the demo from the site. If it runs, you're good to go. If it doesn't, don't get the 3D software.

You have three choices in a Ctrainer:

- The resistance unit alone, plus the handlebar controller. The controller allows you to dial up the amount of resistance you want (in watts) and the wheel stand unit will make you put out that many watts. The handlebar controller also has some built-in "routines" like intervals that you can punch up.

- The resistance unit alone, plus the handlebar controller, plus the PC-1, or "2D" software with Spinscan. The software allows you to program or load saved courses or even previous workouts (race against yourself). Spinscan is an interesting tool allowing you to find out how smoothly you're pedaling.

- The resistance unit alone, plus the handlebar controller, plus the PC-1, or "2D" software with Spinscan, plus the 3D software. The 3D does what the 2D does, only prettier and with compatability to the geo-mapping software courses. In my mind, an overhyped feature.

Another consideration -- you must have an old-fashioned serial port or USB-to-serial adapter. The controller is not USB compatible.

I use only the handlebar controller nowadays. I got sick of looking at a computer screen, and would rather watch movies or listen to tunes. Punch up the wattage for that day's workout and get to riding. Change the wattage from time to time for intervals or hill repeats or whatever. A very nice tool.
Quote Reply