Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hip injuries? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too :)
I'm a PT and love treating hip issues in my athletes, probably because I've had so many of my own issues and I feel like through my suffering, I've learned so much more about diagnosis and treatment. My racing was ended last year with a lesser trochanter stress fracture. initial symptoms were nearly identical to a hip flexor tendonitis and I didn't have any positive clinical signs until almost a month into the injury (and two races on top of it. oops.) through a lot of patience and therapy I've gotten myself back but it really made my hip joint different and I struggle with a bit of impingement and still have some weakness. I saw a women's health therapist and I highly recommend seeing one for those with chronic hip injuries. They are able to treat the pelvic floor and deep hip rotators internally and (even though it sounds disgusting) I wouldn't be running anymore without this intervention. It was the key to my recovery and I think a lot of female athletes have pelvic floor inhibition from fascial restrictions around the deep hip muscles (obtruator, gemellus etc....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good comments in this thread - I have been working through the same low back / hip issues mentioned since I trained for my first marathon in 25 years about 1.5 years ago. Muscle imbalances, and strengthening/core work has kept things down to a dull roar. One thing I didn't see in the threads was a psoas release by a good ART practicioner - painful but effective! Hanging ab raises work the lower abs. My P.T. benefits were limited relief and orthotics didn't work. Good article in a recent Triathlete mag (May issue I think) about active rehab (story on Rehab United) with medicine ball lunges and squats with various foot positions to work all planes - you will quickly find your sticking points (mine is right foot forward squats with toes in, as left hip/TFL tight). Also have been doing hip myrtles (Runners World website under videos) a great dynamic warmup routine, prior to running. Doing them with light ankle weights has helped my core as well. Lastly, I am always looking for good strength/stretching exercises and happened on a new (Feb 11) book 'Holistic Strength Training for Triathlon' by Andrew Johnston. Everything in here totally resonated with me; confirmed I am on the right track, and gave me some new things to work on. Endorsed by Joe Friel - very well written with great irreverent humor. Good luck everyone and thanks for all the posts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man almighty I am beginning to wonder if we're made to run or bike or maybe we've evolved past it to just sitting on the couch *lol*

I had what was described as "generalized coxodynia" pain... turned out that I had an overly weak medial glute with a possible tear at the top of my piriformis. This made running, riding and even sitting excruciating, the only way I could describe it was to say that I felt like I had been drop kicked in my tailbone but that is was equally painful on both sides no radiating to one or the other. The big concern started when my right heel went completely numb (not so fun on the bike) I hadn't even realized until my husband noticed I had been standing full body weight on a dry kidney bean.... and I didn't know it. Quick call to the spinal doc stat... So my spinal surgeon (I have a C-5 to C-7 fusion due to a car accident) sent me to his friend who rehabbed me and I am back in the saddle and gaining speed albeit slowly... but nonetheless I am out there and not laid up at home.

The biggest plus for me has been the abductor adductor exercises... they have strengthened my entire hip girdle on both side (combined with a lot of pelvic floor work) and I have minimal discomfort... truth is, I am probably going to have this issue the rest of my life so I might as well learn to deal with it... but I def do not skip strengthening and resistance workouts otherwise I am a mess.

So now I have a pain in the ass that will require me to stay in shape *lol*

~LBB

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of weeks after doing Oceanside in April, I came down with pain in the left hip during running. It gradually got worse. 14 weeks, and heaps of PT and ART later; I wasn't getting better (and wasn't able to run pain free) so I went in for an MRI on Monday. I have a mild tear in the glute medius and lots of inflammation. The sports doc gave me two cortisone shots. I have no pain now (due to deceased inflammation) but am smart enough to recognize that I still have tear. The tear was probably a result of weak surrounding muscles due to lack of strength training. I've returned to the weight room after a 3 year hiatus and am focusing on glute strength. Hopefully will be able to run again in a month or so.

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next