Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp wheel comfort questions
Quote | Reply
I bought some Zipp 404's this year. Love them. I bought them thinking speed would be the #1 benefit. But I seem to have found another.... Comfort!!!!!! Is this normal for these wheels? Is it in my head? I ride a QR Tequilo 02. The origional wheels are as stiff as a board (cant remember what they are I suse them for traiing) They are bone jarring when I go over bumps. Are the Zipps supposed to be softer than others? It sure feels that way. I woudl assume carbon is softer then whatever the other wheels are made of. What are the "softest riding wheels" ?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel comfort questions [Freedie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had exactly the opposite experience.. training wheels are Ritchey Vector Pro rims and RX100 hubs, Michelin Axial Sport clinchers. Race wheels are Zipp 440 front, Hed CX back, Continental Sprinter tubulars. The race wheels are the most bone-jarring ride I've ever had.. might be something to do with the 140psi in the tubulars vs. the 100psi in clinchers, but even so.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp wheel comfort questions [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had exactly the opposite experience.. .. might be something to do with the 140psi in the tubulars vs. the 100psi in clinchers, but even so.

Uh...it has everything to do with the tire pressure difference. I'm guessing those tubulars are narrower than your clinchers, too.

My 404s are really comfy with 23mm tires and 100 pounds of pressure. They're really harsh riding with 19mm tires and 140 pounds. My everyday wheels (velomax) have the same feature. Once you're dealing with a wire-spoked wheel, the tire is making all the difference in ride comfort.
Quote Reply