Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes!
Quote | Reply
a friend recently pointed me towards quinoa, which seems to be rather like a miracle food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

does anyone here eat this stuff? if so, got any recipes i could try out? (preferably simple ones)

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [tegra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its great- especially red quinoa! Cooks similar to rice- 2:1. I like it with naval oranges and roasted beets. Here's a good recipe:
http://www.veggienumnum.com/...lad-roasted-pumpkin/

http://evagifford.blogspot.ca/ --> my ramblings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be sure to rinse it before you cook it or it can be bitter.

Use it just like rice, hot or cold.

1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Cook in rice cooker just like rice.

Cold Salad:

Take half of the cooked quinoa, garbanzo beans, red pepper, celery, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, mint, some olive oil, cracked pepper, balsamic vinegar all stirred together and pour over. Mix well and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.

For the other half of the quinoa, you can use the same as oatmeal or rice. I'll eat with dried blueberries, a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon.

Or do a salad with berries of all kinds, kiwi, pineapple and then take a little orange juice and cut with water and pour over the top and mix.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mmmm, LOVE quinoa!

Quinoa Pilaf
Saute diced broccoli and carrots in olive oil (sometimes I also add garlic, sometimes I don't). Add cooked quinoa and chopped almonds. EAT! :)

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make pizza crust with quinoa. Quinoa, egg, mozzarella cheese and some spices. Mix it all together and flatten on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Top with sauce, cheese and toppings and bake again.

Adding a bit more cheese, garlic and fresh spices makes some good 'breadsticks" if you don't want to use it for pizza crust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it in place of rice for just about everything.... 2 recent favorites:

Cook 1 cup quinoa per package directions. Dice 1 red onion, 1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, add 1 can black beans. Mix with the cooked quinoa. I use a tabasco like sauce to spice it up a bit. You can eat it warm or cold, as a side or main dish. I sometimes add cheese or chicken, I still need to try it as a wrap filling but think it will be good.

Stuffed peppers with a ground turkey and quinoa filling, can send you the full recipe if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
I make pizza crust with quinoa. Quinoa, egg, mozzarella cheese and some spices. Mix it all together and flatten on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Top with sauce, cheese and toppings and bake again.

Adding a bit more cheese, garlic and fresh spices makes some good 'breadsticks" if you don't want to use it for pizza crust.

Is this with quinoa flour, or actual quinoa - and if so, precooked or no?

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently tried corn-quinoa pasta and it was amazing! I didn't make the pasta myself, but it was a whole lot tastier than regular pasta! Gluten and wheat-free, too.
Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actual quinoa. Pre cooked. You can make a similar crust with cooked rice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, that's neat. Any measurements on how much of what? I am not a good cook :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds delicious. I'm making myself some breadsticks tomorrow!! :)

-----

Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping nobody would ask that... I don't remember the measurements. It's been a while so I couldn't even guess. I'd start with 2 cups quinoa, 1 cup cheese, 1 egg and see how that works. The cheese melts and the egg cooks to bind it together.

If I can find the recipe I'll post it here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like mine with slivered almonds and golden raisins. a few times a year i make these black bean and quinoa burgers.

TEAM GREEN
SWIM - CYCLE - RUN - VEGAN

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:

WOW! what a great idea. I can't wait to try this out :D

Quote | Reply
Do you have the recipe for those black bean/quinoa burgers?? those look AMAZING.

Quote | Reply
thanks to everyone for some awesome ideas! good food makes mah belleh happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cook the quinoa, then add the juice of one lemon, a tablespoon of olive oil, a little bit of brown sugar if you like, and anything else you feel like putting in there: raisens, walnuts or cashews. Easy!

Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [JenniferLeah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenniferLeah wrote:
Do you have the recipe for those black bean/quinoa burgers?? those look AMAZING.

(from memory, i can't give actual quantities but its easy to do.)

the ingredients are...

-black beans (i used canned, unsalted)
-quinoa
-cilantro (fine chop)
-red onion (i always cook my diced onion before adding it to the mix.)
-garlic (to taste)
-jalapeno (to taste)
-salt (to taste, remember to adjust based on salted and unsalted beans)
-pepper (to taste)
-curry powder (i put a pinch in almost everything i cook, usually people cant place what it is but its subtle and tastes great.)

quantities are whatever you want although you need to have the right consistency of black beans to quinoa so it holds together. i mash up the black beans into a paste, but leaving some intact so you have pieces of beans. start with the beans and dice up the other ingredients, slowly add the quinoa until you have a good patty consistency. after forming the patties i put mine in the fridge overnight and it seemed to help set them. prob not necessary but it seems to help.

top it with whatever. i used daiya vegan cheese (its the only one that melts and doesn't taste horrible), grilled mushrooms, tomatoes and green cabbage. cabbage holds up for weeks in the fridge, even cut. and it does not wilt when it hits hot food, so its always crunchy.

i also always put the cold toppings on the bottom and the hot toppings on top.

TEAM GREEN

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tegra wrote:
a friend recently pointed me towards quinoa, which seems to be rather like a miracle food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

does anyone here eat this stuff? if so, got any recipes i could try out? (preferably simple ones)

thanks!
Today I cooked some with a bullion cube added topped with stir fried vegetables and broccoli from the garden. It was cheap, flavorful and quick.

Quote | Reply
Here's a recipe I made this weekend with quinoa, chicken, grapes, almonds and spinach:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/611

It was delicious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat it a lot for my after training breakfast.
Oatmeal doesn't sit well with me, but quinoa is awesome for breakfast.

I also use it to replace oats in powerbars + cookies.

Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [Ted Trendy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made these quinoa/black bean burgers last night, and they were quite tasty. The curry powder was a nice ingredient.

I need to work on consistency though, they were a little loose, so probably more beans to quinoa.

I think they would also be good with diced green pepper and/or mushrooms in the patty.

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FooFighterFan wrote:
I made these quinoa/black bean burgers last night, and they were quite tasty. The curry powder was a nice ingredient.

I need to work on consistency though, they were a little loose, so probably more beans to quinoa.

I think they would also be good with diced green pepper and/or mushrooms in the patty.

yeah consistency is different for me every time too becasue i sub out ingredients all the time. you can pretty much add anything you want and add the quinoa last to get the right consistency.

TEAM GREEN

Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [Ted Trendy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted Trendy wrote:
FooFighterFan wrote:

yeah consistency is different for me every time too becasue i sub out ingredients all the time. you can pretty much add anything you want and add the quinoa last to get the right consistency.

Yikes, leaving them in fridge overnight makes all the difference in the world!

I made 4 patties and put them in the fridge for about an hour. I cooked two of them on a lightly oiled skillet and put the other 2 back in the fridge to sit overnight. Last night I cooked them and they held together much better!

People I've loved, I have no regrets
Some I remember, some I forget
Some of them living, some of them dead
All I want is to be home ".....Foo Fighters, Home

Quote Reply
Re: does anyone eat quinoa? seeking recipes! [FooFighterFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FooFighterFan wrote:
Ted Trendy wrote:
FooFighterFan wrote:

Yikes, leaving them in fridge overnight makes all the difference in the world!

I made 4 patties and put them in the fridge for about an hour. I cooked two of them on a lightly oiled skillet and put the other 2 back in the fridge to sit overnight. Last night I cooked them and they held together much better!

yeah, that pretty much works for any patty or anything you would form. you an also make a big batch and freeze.

TEAM GREEN

Quote Reply