Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Go Potts Go
Quote | Reply
Great Story on Andy Potts. Sounds like he falls into the "shark" category that Lew Kidder outlined on the Slowtwitch site sometime ago - a international caliber swimmer who can run. Given time, the bike will come around for him.

People lament the current state of ITU style racing as being a hard swim, followed by a leisurly bike ride as the set-up for a 10K running race. Unfortunatley, this IS currently the case in the men's ITU races where 30 or so men are all swimming about the same time. However, in the women's race there is a group of very good swimmers who get away during the swim and the bike who make the race very interesting and intriguing: Will the sharks( Lindquist et. al.) hold off the cheetahs( Montgomery et. al.)? This dynamic does not happen in the men's races.

Hopefully the addition of Potts and possibly other strong swimmers to the ITU races will shake things up. I have to imagine that if 2 - 4 men get one min. clear during the swim that if they work hard enough on the bike that can really put pressure on the rest of the field. It will invariably come down to the run, but the trajcetory in reaching that outcome will be different and interesting.

I have had tri coaches in the know telling me that the place to be looking for the next great triathletes are on the pool decks of the national swimming championships. Find the guys/gals that are placing in the top ten who can run(not all swimmers can run), who may be frustrated with swimming and want to take on a new challenge.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Go Potts Go [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that this was a great story. It makes me proud that possibly two top triathletes (Taormina and Potts) have ties to Michigan.

Personally though, I feel that the tri coaches in the know should be looking at 26yr old, never good enough to compete at the college level at any sport, just picked up triathlon, middle of the pack athletes. If they "wake up" and see the talent pool there, let them know I'm available. What's the fun in coaching people with real talent?

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Go Potts Go [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't need to look far to imagine what a group of solid swimmers can do in ITU mens fields, as the last two World Cups in a row saw a group of 5-10 men break clear of the main pack and put two mins on the favorites by the run.

Potts got a top ten in Gamagori because he was in this pack that was 2 mins + up off the bike.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Go Potts Go [czone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swimmer/biker break won't be a given in every mens' race for at least the next year, but it will make itself known far more frequently than in the past The next world cup (Edmonton, July 13) should prove interesting, if only because the bike course is VERY hard and Craig Walton will be on the starting line for the first time in 2003.

Lew

Lew
Quote Reply