Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: LA's Subaru commercials. . . [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well put 3sport! ( the entire "I think you're missing the point here." post)

>It could also be argued that basketball players endorsing products only serves to maintain the NBA's already lofty presence among television viewers.

This very idea was discussed on an NPR story yesterday about advertising and sports stars, especially basketball players. Why, when the league has just suffered through the most paltry finals ratings in many years, are companies like Nike signing huge contracts with stars that apparently no one really wants to see. Its all about image, not what is happening on court. The advertising guy said that there are a couple of reasons that Nike can afford to ink a $90mil contract with an unproven high-school kid. Again, first and foremost, its ALL about image. This screams out to all the scrub court kids out there. Never mind that truly talented folks like Lebron James are one in a gazillion, or that he may not handle bigtime stardom. There is a buzz around him that may or may not be well founded. Nike is huge enough to be able to take that chance. Which brings us to the ad guy's second point: They can afford to pay $90mil just to keep his name away from the other guys. That's the business side of this. Why allow Reebok, Adidas, et al to have this possibility if you can have it for yourself. Think about how huge a company is that they can gamble $90mil. That particular contract is no different than a supersized, well educated horse-racing track bet. Nike now have to actually sell upward of $170mil of product to cover this high roller bet.

Subaru bought the LA brand, not the cyclist. LA's story is big time with the book and SI exposure, not to mention the other high profile events going on. Anyone who doubts the power of branding to bring some exposure to cycling and related sports is foolish. This screams to the dreamers in us that there's $$ to be made in cycling. Never mind, of course, that there are only a handful of stars in the sport who make "real" money. Its the possibility. The dream. Be like Lance. Why else are so many people out there riding ill-fitted Trek OCLV bikes? They aren't any better or worse than any other option at their price-points. Owning one says little about our riding. Our legs speak loudly enough to take care of that. No, it says something about how we identify ourslves as cyclistsif we own a Trek. Be like Lance. Drive a subaru, and you identify with the LA image. Grit. Determination. Drive. Its what's inside! Hey, yeah! That's me! Subaru cars say that. Man, I should get myself one!
Quote Reply
Re: LA's Subaru commercials. . . [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing for sure, LA is certainly the biggest name to ever come out of cycling in the US to score that $10 million multi-year deal with Subaru.

The ads are certainly less annoying than the RUNAWAY SHOES.COM!!!!!!!!! ads from a couple years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: LA's Subaru commercials. . . [lanceroj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would respect him even more if he were not from Texas and didn't claim GW as a friend.

But hey, back to the original point, watching the pros ride like lighting motivates me...not what commerical they are in, which car they drive or which sports drink they use.
Quote Reply

Prev Next