Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thomson Setback or Profile Fast Forward
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at a new seatpost, something to bring me a little more forward then I am currently. Looking at either the Thomson Setback in the forward position of the Profile Fast Forward. I probably need another 2cm or so, currently I have my saddle (Azoto) all the way forward on my current seatpost which has the clamp behind the center of the post (not like the Thomson which looks like it is centered on the post). Have tried to reverse my post but it doesn't work.

The Thomson looks well made, cool and discreet whereas the Profile looks like it pushes you a long way forward, but not sure if the Thomson will give me enough! What should I go for???

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Thomson Setback or Profile Fast Forward [Jacko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Thomson gives you 16 mm. It won't push you *forward*, it'll allow you to clamp the seat in the middle of the rails in the position you have now. Maybe if the Azoto doesn't flex at all it's OK to clamp it way in the back?

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Thomson puts you far enough forward, I'd definitely go with it. I think these are fantastic posts. (Super strong, light enough, one piece post/head base, infinitely adjustable head clamp angle) One issue with the Thomson, actually it's a "feature". The head is a bit bigger meaning it clamps more of the saddle rails than other posts. This is good for taking some stress away from the saddle rails, but bad as it means you can't push the saddle as far forward as you could with other posts that put the head in the same position. (But we're talking about a couple of mm here.)

Just to be sure, you can turn the Thomson setback posts around, right???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Thomson set back flipped around, but it pushed me a little too far forward so I switched to the zero setback and shoved my seat forward and it seems to work a little better.

You will be hard pressed to find a better built piece of hardware than the Thomson seatposts. Never used the Profile, so I really can't comment on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the profile to retrofit my road bike. I needed to move very far forward so the profile put me right where I wanted to be. The clamp on the profile is very nice.

Now, I'm certainly no weight weenie, but good grief the profile seat post must be made out of spent uranium. The seat post must be the heaviest single piece on that bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the Profile post as well as a zero setback Thomson flipped around. I ride Selle Italia Flite saddles, and the combined angles of the post and saddle rails was such that it was really hard to get the saddle level and tightly fastened on the front. In races, the saddle would gradually shift rearward. I came up with a shim configuration to fix it, but was villified for sharing it on this site due to safety concerns.

With the Thomson, I could get the saddle nose to within 3 cm behind the BB with a saddle height of 77 cm, but no further forward. I think that's maybe 76 degrees. It had no difficulty holding the saddle in place.

Two weeks ago, I bit the bullet and bought a forward geometry bike, and eliminated these problems. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Identical... [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the best posts out there right now for getting that forward position is the Selcof bi-positioning seat post. We do have them in stock. Bicyslesports-Tyler

MARK MILLER
Quote Reply