Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will a Ghetto bike make a difference?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of buying a roadbike, and I want to know if I'll notice a difference in buying a low end fuji, or spending a few hundred more and getting something a little nicer. And are clipless pedals worth the expense?

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Will a Ghetto bike make a difference? [Farrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuji actually makes some really good bang for the buck bikes IMO, although the bike snobs may not like to admit it.

For road bikes the Fuji Team is a 16 lb. lightweight that cost a lot less $$$ than most anything else that weight.

The Fuji Aloha is as fast as any other 650, steep angle tri bike. I know of a guy who won his AG at Kona on one. Dan did a good review on this bike in the Slowtwitch archive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm in the process of buying a roadbike, and I want to know if I'll notice a difference in buying a low end fuji, or spending a few hundred more and getting something a little nicer. And are clipless pedals worth the expense?

As you've heard, the most important factor is how well the bike fits. A cheap bike that fits well is better than an expensive on that doesn't. So you want to buy from a shop that can fit you well.

If you have the money, you won't regret spending a little more for better quality. Shop carefully and get the most for your money. To that end, it helps to read up a bit on bike components and accessories so you can make knowledgable comparisons.

Clipless pedals are a must if you're going to do any long distance riding and especially if you're climbing hills.

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ghetto? Shame you, Farrell! I am a proud owner of a Fuji Aloha, and I LOVE MY BIKE. It accelerates and moves extremely fast, (especially when I pedal hard ;). Great bike; my local bike guy agrees. Can't beat it for the money!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: Will a Ghetto bike make a difference? [kategt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I to am a shamfull Ghetto Team Easton rider. Boohoo boohoo!!! I like my bike to.
Quote Reply
Re: Will a Ghetto bike make a difference? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tisk tisk - you too huh? I'd ride a Litespeed, but then my son couldn't call me "Fuji Mama" anymore, and I kinda like the nickname.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
All my bikes are ghetto... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But they fit. :) Any bike that fits you well will serve you far better than a several thousand dollar, fully tricked out rig that doesn't. Dan may have a stable of beautiful bikes, but given that he's a good 1/2 a foot taller than I am, they all suck as far as bikes for me. Concern yourself primarily with a bike that fits, and then worry about what it is. Fuji makes some nice bilkes, btw.

As far as clipless pedals go, yes - they are definitely worth the investment. Spend your money on good shoes with a stiff sole, and whatever pedals are on sale. Cheap peadls won't bug you all that much, but cheap shoes SUCK!!!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuji ain't no ghetto bike. I would be proud to have one in my garage if I did not have the lust for Corima Foxes or new-old stock GT Courses (in 853, of course).

I would put the Fuji in the league with the Giant, except a bit less known with a hint of exclusivity. Having that brand would say to me that you have searched for an excellent value and high quality in a unique brand.

Clipless pedals: get them. I am also going to align myself with Khai on the point of getting good shoes; as cheap, bad ones will hurt longer than you remembering the perceived value and cheap price of lesser shoes. I would suggest the lower end Look pedal with a Sidi or Carnac shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking this thread was going to be about the custom twisted steel and tricked out cruisers. In which case the answer would be "Yes, such a bike would make a difference." However a well chosen Fuji will do quite nicely. So I agree with all the other posts. I do want to throw in my $.02 about pedals. Absolutely, no question, go with clipless pedals. And yes stiff well fitting shoes are a must. Since this will be your first experience with clipless pedals, I agree that something like a low end Look or Nashbar Look knock off is the way to go. I would definitely steer away from Shimano SPD pedals. I single these out because they are often sold to newbies or people who don't know any better. (Not sure why this. Partly b/c they are inexpensive, partly b/c they have the Shimano name I guess) Some SPDs are fine pedals for some people. But it is my experience that these pedals are not for everybody. Sure, no pedal is. But I think Looks tend to appeal to a wider audience than SPDs, so I think there's a higher probability that the Looks are a good match for you. If SPDs aren't for you, you can tell by the persistent painful sensation that develops in your knees.
Quote Reply