Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie with a wetsuit concern
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm about to compete in my second triathlon, an olympic, and I just was able to try out my new Orca Speedsuit for the first time in a lake. At first, I could definitely feel the added buoyancy as I swam around the dock. Water was seeping in a little in the sleeves and down my back. As it seemed to accumulate a little in my lower back, I had a sudden panic as a feeling that the suit was heavy and I couldn't keep floating/swimming, as if the buoyancy was no longer there. The added panic of being in a lake feeling this way didn't help I'm sure, but has anyone else had this happen? I would like someone to confirm my suspicions that I hadn't properly donned the suit, as the neck felt a little tight after 5 minutes and the water was accumulating at my lower back. Any advice, suggestions, stories, help etc for someone about to try it out again, this time in a race?? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie with a wetsuit concern [VLSNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I just used my wetsuit for the third time a few weeks ago and I admit I was freaked out for a while too but it was my own fault. Had I actually swam in a lake a few times before the event I would have realized that the suit was fine, I was just a bit nerveous and every worry was amplified. So go to a lake and get comfortable with the suit. It's not going to drag you down (probably ;) but until you believe that you won't be able to relax/enjoy the swim.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the suit is designed to let a small amount of water in; that's what provides the warmth. The body heats up this thin layer of water. Many swimmers pump water into their suits when they first get into the water, both to adjust to the temperature quickly and also to make fine adjustments to the suit's fit. If large amounts are pooling in the back or anywhere, it may indicate the suit is slightly too large. And the neck is usually tight; the feeling of tightness goes away as you get used to swimming in the contraption. Most likely you are feeling what you should feel in a wetsuit. The Orca will hold you up, and will keep your body in a nice hydrodynamic position, making the swim both faster and less tiring. Go back to the lake, and let the water come in. If feelings of concern come over you, flip over onto your back like an otter and notice how you float effortlessly. That feeling should help reassure you. Best of luck this weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just started swimming in a wetsuit a couple months ago and it is definately a very different experience. Especially when combined with open water, it can all be kind of overwhelming. Water is always going to leak into the suit, that's why it's called a wetsuit. That very thin layer of water warms up and keeps you toasty. However, I've never felt like excess water was accumulating and making me heavy. You may want to have someone knowledgeble double check your fit to make sure you have the right size and to make sure you have it on right.

Otherwise, I'm sure you just need to get used to the different sensation. I found that it was helpful to goto the pool once or twice with the wetsuit to get used to it. This is nice because you can get comfortable with the difference without having open water anxiety on top of it. One new thing at a time.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input. Judging by the reading I've done today along with reading posts here, I believe that my suit fits me; its the one for my height/weight, it feels tight out of the water. But, I believe I hadn't pulled the legs up high enough and same with the sleeves according to the wetsuit page on bikesportmichigan.com Anyway, gotta try it again and overcome the panic for a fast 1500! Thanks for the replies, its reassuring to read that others panic as well. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might try finding a lake to swim in without the suit to get used to swimming in a open water. Everyone always made a big deal to me about my first open water swim and it did not bother me at all. The only difference was, the water was cold and I was wearing a wetsuit. If you are only used to swimming in a pool, not having anything hold on to is a different experience. Find a friend with a boat and go out with them to get used to swimming in open water. Plus you get to have more fun when you are done swimmming :)

I would like to mention I am not a great swimmer at all and just started seriously swimming 6 months ago.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply