Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help! Flying with a Softride Roadwing?
Quote | Reply
I rented a bike box assuming that my Softride would fit. I tried to pack up last night and no go. I lowered the beam as far as it goes ( without removing it ) but I still need about another 4".

Is there a trick to this? Or am I SOL.......
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Flying with a Softride Roadwing? [mn_leaf_fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to take my seat off
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Flying with a Softride Roadwing? [huffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would take the seat off if it would help, but I still need about 4" just to get the beam inside the box.
( it's a size L )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Classic TT7 (L) and just came back from a 1/2IM in Margarita Island, Venezuela. I was barely able to fit my bike in a Velo Safe from Tri All Sports. I had to remove the seat, lower the beam and didn't hook the fork the the quick release so the bike could "rock" backwards. It is an expensive case but it is worth it. (I think Dan has a review of the case somewhere else in the site).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found that a torque wrench is an invaluable tool to have, when owning a Softride (Rocket TT). I personally use the Syntace torque wrench and set it to the specs. that Softride provides (i.e. check their web sight).

I know it's a "scary feeling" to remove the beam, but once you do it (following Softride's guidelines) and use the proper tools, you'll understand how simple of an operation it is.

Regards,

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Flying with a Softride Roadwing? [JAHeisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Roadwing which uses the 'Classic' beam. It is connected to the frame with a press fit pin and not a bolt so removing it ( and replacing it ) every time I pack up the bike is not really an option. I think I am screwed since my flight leaves at 8pm tonight.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem recently. No choice but to remove the beam. It is not a difficult operation. Buy a punch and a small sledge hammer at home depot. Pin will come out easily. Don't forget to pack the sledge, or you will be riding out of the seat the whole race. Pin must go in from right to left as seen when sitting on the bike.

Good luck.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Re: Help! Flying with a Softride Roadwing? [hpwvale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. Get a punch and knock the pin out...easy not to ding the frame. It is a lot easier than it looks. Be sure to mark everything with tape or a marker to re-establish seat height upon re-assembly. Don't just scrape a line with a screwdriver - once off you will find all sorts of little scratches from the "U" bracket.

You can always find a mechanic upon arrival to help you get it back together if that is an issue.

Just get it in the case...deal with it once there. Good luck!
Quote Reply