Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nearsighted triathletes?
Quote | Reply
Just curious. Are any of you nearsighted and how do you handle the swim, bike, and run?

I used to be very nearsighted (my correction was O.D. Sph. -7.00, Cyl. +2.25, Axis 111; O.S. Sph. -7.00, Cyl. 1.75, Axis 067). But about 3 years ago I had LASIK. I don't think I would have even started triathlon with my "old eyes."

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: Nearsighted triathletes? [ScottFromUtah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been doing triathlons as a nearsighted triathlete for almost 19 yrs. and have tried just about everthing (short of LASIK surgery). I finally settled on prescription sunglasses and goggles combination. Works best for me... tried the contact thing and found too many problems developed ... leaking goggles... drying on the bike.... etc.

As a side note, one thing I learned in recent years is that the T1 doesn't accommodate for prescription goggle wearers... taking the top off almost always take the goggles off in the process... so, I usually take the top off at or near my bike (leaving my goggles on). This one more reason why I find the T1 to be only best suited for longer triathlons. I use the faster and easier to remove Piel for sprint distance tris.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear disposable contacts and they seem ok during the swim. I have extras in T1 or T2 if they get dry. Also have some drops too to help. I am doing an IM, and I am racing only the clock, so taking time to change contacts, if necessary is no big deal for me.

Go Big Red
Quote Reply
Re: Nearsighted triathletes? [BigRedMachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contacts. I wear them for everything. Just gotta get used to them. Always a good idea to have an extra set in transition just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing contacts during my entire storied career(10 years off and on). Never had a problem. For the goggles, I find ones with foam edges have better suction so I religiously wear those. As for the bike, having good sunglasses to redirect the wind is the key. I never had a problem with the old Oakley Blades. As for dryness, the sweat streaming down my forehead serves to keep my contacts moist at all times. Yeah, it hurts like hell, but that's the price I pay for excellence. ; P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do the races in my contacts as well, and since I'm not fast they don't hamper me at all. It took a while to find goggles that fit without leaking and glasses that keep the wind out. My husband had LASIK and he - like you - can't imagine how he did anything previously, from triathlon to motorcycle racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive raced with contacts for four years without any problems. For IM, I keep an extra set of my disposables and a small mirror in my T1 bag....just in case. Leaky googles or wind have not significantly affected the contacts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first tri, a sprint, last year with no vision correction. I got used to swimming in the pool near-blind and even the lake for practice but finally got tired of it after the tri and open water. I just got prescription goggles from an optician on Ebay. I bought the goggles for $25, all I had to do was email my Rx at end of auction, which was a "buy it now". The user id of the ebay seller is mzspecs. She was really great to deal with, and I promise, I'm only plugging as a satisfied customer, check the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nearsighted, basically half-blind without spectacles. I have never been able to tolerate contacts: used to do the swim with ordinary goggles and navigate by the sun. More than once I swam into the marker buoys, which was OK when they were plastic, not so good when they were iron.. donggg..
Now I use Tusa Liberator prescription goggles, a mere $25, and rejoice in being able to see my way into T1. Goggles off, prescription sunglasses on, and away we go.

I've never had any problems since getting the goggles. The sunglasses always have Croakies on them, since crashing and losing the glasses becomes a major problem when you can't see without them.
Quote Reply