Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Damage to bike on airline
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
Just wondering how much luck people have had making claims from damage to their bikes when properly packed in a bike case. My disc wheel was damaged in flight, but since I didn't report it in person within 4 hours of my flight landing (SWA), they are denying my damage claim. I even had to pick it up from the rotating baggage carousel on the trip out and not via the oversized luggage area. Anyone have any good stories or advice that will make me feel better?

TriDi
Quote Reply
Re: Damage to bike on airline [TriDi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDi:

How long after the flight did you report the damage? You could argue that the damage was concealed and you reported within the time frame following discovery. I would push the issue and "cc" some executives.

Coming back from IM Canada last year, I personally witnessed the baggage handlers use my bike case as a trampoline for every other bag on the plane (seriously - they laid my case on its side on the baggage tug and then threw every other piece of luggage on it). My KM40 was damaged. I didn't report the damage at the airport, but the next a.m. (it was a late flight) I reported it via their website. I had to take my bike back to the airport for inspection. I also got cost estimates, etc. (like People's Court - they like documentary support). In the end, United to its credit purchased me a brand new KM40. I certainly did not like what happened to my bike - but I have to give credit to UAL for resolving the situation properly.

So be persistent. Be polite but firm and keep moving up the ladder until someone at SW works with you.

Alan
Quote Reply
Re: Damage to bike on airline [SFTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the optimistic reply Alan.
I did report the damage immediately following it's discovery, so maybe I can try that angle of concealed damage. I have been really pleased with UA and their handling of my bike over the past few years. They certainly have never sent my bike through the baggage carousel! I'm pursuing some good options through friends of friends that work for the airline. If that doesn't work, a lawyer friend will write them a letter. I figure if I bug them enough, they will give in...hopefully!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear that United are a good bunch. I am flying from Miami to Penticton, Via Denver and Vancouver for IMC this year, and was worried that it would be potential nightmare with United. At least I am on the same airline all the way- so lot less chance of the bike going astray?!

Weeman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take heart and keep trying. their initial response is to say "no" and hope that you will go away. i had a scuba regulator stolen from my luggage once and had to go up 3 levels of people to get it replaced. write letters and document times and dates that you speak to them (most of the telephone conversations are taped). be persistent!

good luck,

geoff
Quote Reply