Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

masters swimming/physiology
Quote | Reply
how should i handle masters swimming?

ques.

1. coach prescribed 8/100m on 2:20. Did the 100 in 2:00 min, so thats 20 sec rest till the next 100 (was too hard an took 1 min rest for the rest). speaking in physiological terms, this would be anaerobic threshold training due to the lactic acid i was feeling & difficulty. i was in the least fastest lane, so should i save masters swimming for my 'intense' swim days? cant train like this no more than 2 x a week in pre comp phase.
Quote Reply
Re: masters swimming/physiology [trizombie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk to the coach. Tell him that that was too little rest. The coach can't guess what is going on in your head. Ask him to administer drill work (and lots of it) so that your body can afford to train with the masters group regularly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with goatboy, but you might also try slowing down. May seam kind of backwards, but usually the faster swimming calls for longer rest. Most of my 8 x 100s allow 10 seconds rest, unless I crank up the speed, then I might take far more rest-depends on the goals of the set. Like goatboy said- talk to the coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree w/ what the others have said. I would slow down and try to come in around 2:10 – 2:15. Unless you were going all out to do the 100 on 2:00, 5 - 10 seconds rest should be enough before you start your next 100. If not, talk to the coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along the lines of the previous two...

Why not swim slower and finish the 100 in 2:15 and only get 5 seconds rest. I honestly think that would be easier for you than busting a gut every 100 and needing a long rest. 15 extra seconds per 100 could be the difference between sprinting and cruising to the point you don't even really need the 5 seconds.

I swim with a Master's group and rarely do we get 20 seconds rest. Usually it is 5-20 seconds rest between intervals. The thing is, the pace we swim makes even 5 seconds rest plenty of rest.

FWIW the difference between my all out, going for a World Record 100 yard time and my pace for 500 yards at a comfortable pace is only 13 seconds per 100. It's amazing what easing off just a touch will do for your stamina and recovery.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: masters swimming/physiology [Justin on LI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanx peeps!

My confusion is why the 2:15(work)/20sec (rest) intervals? usually for top end AEROBIC training its 1:1 ratio. "is this work to rest ratio ok because its all still in the bottom to mid aerbic zone for most and lactic acid system has no problem being balanced-equal amount put out to taken away" Im thinking maybe im still in my aerobic zone (for swimming) but im just not USED to swimming that intense. Im a newbie and i train alone, mainly drills & the freestsyle sets i do I concentrate on form an not worry about clock & HR. now that im in precomp phase i see i need to train by the clock, masters, harder to get stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The swimming assumption about aerobic pace is typically 5-10 seconds rest per 100 swam. Why? Because coaches long ago figured out that the human body could hold up to that sort of training. A swim coach is never going to give you a 1:1 swim/rest proportion on an aerobic set. The only time you're going to be getting something close to that ratio is when you're supposed to be hammering it very anaerobically.

If you haven't got the fish experience, it's a big jump upwards in intensity from the typical lap swim. But if you can stick with it for a month, you'll see some real gains as you figure out how to fine tune your stroke to adapt to the higher intensity.
Quote Reply