Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing Question
Quote | Reply
I'm currently training for an Iron-distance triathlon and am quickly learning my current set up on my Trek 5200 - Double Ring w/ 53/39 is not going to cut it. The course is very hilly and in training I'm doing a lot of grinding on long/steep hills. I'm looking for more options to "save my legs" for the run. I'm a lot better runner anyway so the easier I take it on the bike the better off I will be overall.

Do I have any options other than going to a triple ring? I apologize for my lack of knowledge but figure someone out there can give me some advice before I head to my LBS.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing Question [rkuehn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What race are you doing and more importantly, what is the gearing on the back?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you running in the back? 12-23? (typical) You can get a 12-25 or 12-25 to help you up the hills. I am talking Shimano, Campy has a 13-29.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't say what the cassette on the back is. Chances are its 11-23 but it could be 11-21. When I ordered a new bike with 53/39 & 11-23 and was going from a triple to a double that happened to me. Since I was switching to a double anyway I just assumed it would be harder. But I was struggling trying to climb the West Hills of Portland, OR. I decided to try an 12-25 and when I was putting it on the wheel discovered the problem. Boy was I relieved. I've had no problems since.

You also don't say what you wheel size it. I have 650 which have smaller gear inches than the 700c & put together a 11-25 that works great.

So check what you have in back & then switch it out for a 12-25 or even a 12-27 & save the cassette you have for the flatter courses as it will have a tighter set of gears for incremental changes. Dan Emp. has previously mentioned how happy he is with his 12-27 on courses like Wildflower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of questions first:

1. What I.M. race are you doing?

2. What is the cassette on your bike now? 12-23?

3. What size wheels are you riding? 700c or 650c?

4. When you bought your bike were you measured, and if so did you Bike Fit Tech. ensure you are riding the correct crank arm length?

I ride 700c wheels: I rode a 53/39 front with a 12-27 at St. Croix 1/2 and Alcatraz. I'll ride a 53/39 front with a 12-25 at I.M. USA, and around here (Raleigh, NC area - mostly light rolling terrain) I train on a 12/23.

Spinning over Mashing is generally better for your run time. A triple may not be a bad idea if the climbs are steep enough. I wished I had had a triple on the BEAST! Had to Zig-Zag my way up.... but I made it.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing Ultramax in September. It's in the Missouri Ozarks and according to those who did it last year a tough ride due to never ending rollers.

I'm not positive of what's on the back, I think it's 12-23 but I'm not sure. I'll check it tonight and go from there. Thanks for everyone's help.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing Question [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While we are waiting for rkuehn to get back -

can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between the 11-23 and a 12-25. My standard setup is 53-42 & 11-23. This weekend my buddies and I did a lot of hill work - which included some short (1-2km)but steep (10%-12%) climbs. I paid the price on the steep climbing and gave up too much time on the long climbs. Will switching to a 12-25 make much of a difference, or do I need to go to a 12-27 to make any real difference?

put the mettle to the pedal
Last edited by: brettc: Jun 16, 03 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing Question [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brettc,

1. What size wheels are you riding?

2. Before you go to 12-27 on the back think about trading that 42T small ring for a 39T up front.

3. Regarding your 11-23. Do you ever use the 11T cog? I can't pull it, that's why I use a 12-23 (flatter gearing). Regardless, you will notice a difference going from a 11-23 to a 12-25 cassette.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing Question [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 - 700's

2 - I thought about that, but I don't ride the big hills enough to justify it - IMO.

3 - Yup - I get to use it every now and again, but I don't think I would miss it too terribly in my training. I have an 'A' race in 3 weeks where there are lots of rollers and 1-2 good climbs. I feel strong on the rollers( I have a lot of down hill momentum) but I need another gear in the hills, my current setup isn't doing it for me. I'm hoping the 12-25 is going to be just what the doctor ordered. My other 'A' race this year is on a dead flat course where I could use the 11 gear.

Hmmmm..........Maybe I should replace the 12 tooth with the 11 - and have an 11-25 - seems like the best of both worlds. Seriously, has anyone else tried this custom gearing setup?

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw most of what you've heard about last year's Ultramax bike course out the window as they've totally changed the course. It was ALL climbing last year and very tough. Nothing was too steep (by Northern California standards), but it was continuous and the rollers were spaced so you couldn't get any kind of rhythm going. I rode 650 wheels with a 25 and will ride the same in this year's race. Last year I'd have much preferred to have my 700 road bike with the 27. And, last year it had been decent weather (low to mid-70s) until race day, when it was about 85F, sunny and humid. But it's a great race! See you there.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Don't understand *needing* an 11T [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53x11 on 700c at 95 cadence is 36mph! When going downhill I can still push up to around 140 cadence - that is 53 mph! I just don't understand why people need that kind of gearing? Yet so many people say they can't live without it that there must be some reason that I just haven't discovered yet.

Even in your 39 chainring you are still getting over 26 mph with an 11t. Are there very many of you that can sustain 26 mph for an average sprint tri, let alone 1/2 IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if the 11 - 25 would work. The ramps between the 11 and the 13 might be off. I usually run an 11-21 for most courses. I have an 11-23 but I miss my 16 in that configuration. I am going to get a 12-23 for hillier courses. Having the 16 for the flats is way more important than having the 11 for descents. I am running 54/42 chainrings on a 650c bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing Question [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess you missed my earlier post. I've been using a 53/39, 11-25 with 650c wheels for about 2 years wit ha DA drivetrain. Yes they work absolutely fine with no ramping problems. Basically take a 12-25 drop the 14 & add a 11t cog & cap. I do miss the 14 on flatter terrain and switch out to an 11-23.

Do I use the 11 yes on my 650c bike. Where I ride I do. In fact just last weekend commented on that got to use both my 11& 25 on a 100miler up & back with a 3000 ft climb to Goverment Camp on Mt. Hood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm back and now know why my quads felt like lead blocks yesterday. I didn't check when I bought the bike but the back actually has a 12/21 setup. Also, I ride 700's and am a little over 6 foot tall, approximately 185.

Now, with this information, what cassette would you recommend keeping in mind 90% of my races would be considered "hilly"? I live in the midwest and am doing Ultramax this year and probably Ironman Wisconsin next as my "A" races.

Would a 12/25 be a huge difference?

Thanks again for everyone's help...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Would a 12/25 be a huge difference? <<

Yes, and if you aren't a strong rider, a 27 would be even better.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a 53/39 11/25 setup on my race bike. i use the 53-11 for some of the more intense group rides, local downhills, and big gear work. rarely use it when racing unless there is a massive tailwind as I prefer to spin in the races. use the 39-25 for low HR hillwork (and bad, bad, bad days ;-) ).

edited to clarify this is on a 700 p2k

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Last edited by: martyg: Jun 17, 03 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Don't understand *needing* an 11T [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you. i agree 100% and have been saying the same thing for a while.

tommy
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing Question [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here's a handy calculator if you want to see how much difference various setups would have:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a 11-21 for a year thnking I'd "learn" to get strong. I didn't. I switched this year to a 12-25 not enough to spin the hills I train on. went to a 12-27 right before wildflower and glad I did. I missed the 11 so I put it on my "custom" cog is 11,12,14,15,17,19,21,24,27 best of both worlds for now, I ride on 650's only a 52 for a big chain ring.
Quote Reply