Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yes I know, You get what you pay for!!!
Quote | Reply
Last year when I decided to lose some of my middle that kept expanding, I decided to try an xterra race and really liked it. 6 weeks of training on my son's "roadmaster" bike then 3:09 minutes later I was hooked. I have trained since to race the 2003 season except for a 6 week break for a small surgery this year.

The 2 hours on the bike on a pretty technical course during that race convinced me that I needed a better bike and not knowing any better I went to walmart and became the proud owner of a Mongoose xr 350. What seems like a long time later I now know enough to know that my walmart purchase wasn't the best in the world but I have to say I have logged a lot of miles on that bike and IMHO it has paid for itself.

On Saturday, (four weeks before my first scheduled race of the year) I took a nasty tumble and when I got up, where the rear derailler threads into the aluminum frame had snapped off and I did a 6 mile hike a bike back to the van. I don't think its worth repairing even if it could be.

I am a young family man and I don't have the cash to buy another bike. Especially not one that I could race respectably with.

A friend of mine has a older "specialized" regid fork "stumpjumper comp". He has offered it to me for $100. That is about all that I can really afford. This evening I test rode the bike and it is lighter than the aluminum frame dual suspension I trashed. I tried to see if the "mozo" front suspension forks off of my mongoose would fit in the specialized chro moly frame but alas the stem is too big.

First, Is it possible to put a new front fork on the "specialized" and make it into a hard tail. Second, if I can do that, how do I size the new front fork. Third, is this worth doing at all to the old bike.

Please, any suggestions. I just can't stand the thought of having to ditch my whole season for lack of cash.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes I know, You get what you pay for!!! [ortri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just use the Specialized as-is. Front shocks are faster and more comfortable but you can do fine with a non-suspended bike on most courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had your frame looked at? Some aluminum frames come with a replaceable derailleur hanger. Take it down to your LBS and see if it can be replaced....

As for the specialized question. The "old" standard in headsets was 1". Currently the new defacto standard on mountain bikes, and also coming quickly in road bikes is 1 1/8". This is supposedly for stiffness.

You may be able to find a good deal on a 1" set of suspension forks. Otherwise, go with the forks that are there. This is supposed to be about having FUN and not having the best bike and going the fastest, right??

-Craig
Quote Reply
Re: Yes I know, You get what you pay for!!! [craigwsullivan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if the frame does not have a replacable dropout ,some LBSs will have a insert that after drilling out the threads in the dropout and installing this insert you are good to go,give this a try,its really a cheap fix,Randall
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re the specilized
I have an old Trek 930 which had a rigid fork. I took it to the LBS and they were able to put on a suspension fork for about $140 (fork and lobor, cant remember exact price but was ~$180 with a tune-up). The trek had a 1in head tube with threaded headset/stem, most likely the same setup as the specilized. This is a low end fork but does the job for me. Other option it to just go with the rigid fork, most xterra trails will not be so technical so you don't need suspension.

A
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just about everything has been suggested. I'd ride the bike as is without a front suspension.

You might be able to find an old softride suspension stem to use with it. That would help.

Otherwise, a company named RST makes 1" forks, and I think that Quality Bicycle Products has them, so you should be able to order them from a local shop. I also think that marzochhi has a very limited (1 or 2) selection of forks with 1" steer tubes. Rockshox might, but I can't remember for sure.

Four weeks will give you enough time to order something, but I think that spending ~$200 on a bike that cost you $100 is a little unreasonable. $300 will get you a bottom of the line trek or somethin similar that might be as good as the Specialized.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Yes I know, You get what you pay for!!! [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a stumpjumper is a great bike, even if its old, just make sure its in reasonable condition first. if you want a fork , just check ebay for some old school shocks ~$100max and make sure the size (head tube diameter and length / and that it is threaded, i imagine an old specialized is threaded) is right, so check that w/ a shop. hell, a shop probably has some old quadras or manitous lying around that they figured they'd never sell, you can probably get a deal....anyway, any xc racer would take the stumpjumper over the mongoose any day, no ?? asked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be able to find a mid to late 90's vintage Rockshox Judy that will fit. Then trash the insides and order a retrofit kit from Eko Sport. You'll have a shock that's light and performs like a new SID for a fraction of the cost.

I upgraded a '97 Judy SL with one of those kits and after a year and a half of use I couldn't be happier.

http://www.mountainbikereview.com/.../product_22880.shtml
Quote Reply