Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yaqui DL model anyone?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone out there have one of Yaqui's new DL versions of his tri bikes? What about the difference between the Mariola and the Carbo? Is the Carbon rear end worth it? My experience says its really kind of superflous, but my experience is with the Litespeed Saber that I have to replace. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Yaqui DL model anyone? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, but what happened to your Saber? I own one too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the Carbo at Ves' recommedation based upon my weight and estimated power output. I can torque a frame pretty good. Ves says that the carbon rear triangle is stiffer than the aluminum one on the Mariola. On a bike with this lightweight Scandium tube with a non-round downtube, I think it is worth it, unless you are a lightweight, or unless you are getting one in the smaller sizes.

Ves would be glad to recommend the appropriate bike setup to you if you are serious about Yaqui. The DL is for draft legal riding, and that's not what I do, so it wasn't an option for me...but with it's sloping top tube and smaller (therefore stiffer) rear triangle, it may not benefit as much from the increased carbon stiffness.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Yaqui DL model anyone? [Navi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Saber didn't get along with the front end of a truck that was trying to share that particular stretch of road with us. You can read more in the thread "You never know when..." from earlier this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Yaqui DL model anyone? [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I'm not a draft Legal guy either, but I'm thinking that I'd like to cut down to one bike. I'm just as fast whether steep or shallow. I race the road bike in a shallow aero as well as the Saber. I like hilly and/or technical riding too. I'm thinking the DL may be just the thing. I'm also tired of maintaining 650 and 700 wheelsets. My wife can't understand why I need two sets of Zipps and discs, and lightweight climbing wheels for the road, and..., and... I put a Powertap on the Saber, further complicating the issue. Too many wheels. Either way, I think this bike is going to be a Yaqui, and 700.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you get a Yaqui, I know you'll be pleased. Mine is great handling for a tri-bike (I can stay in the aerobars on some technical sections that I usually didn't feel comfortable enough to do so with other bikes I've ridden), and the ride quality is great, too.

Make sure to confer with Ves extensively until you BOTH are sure you are getting what you want....that's probably the biggest difference between getting a bike from him and getting one from a large company...I call it the Ves Factor. He's one interesting fellow to have the pleasure of meeting, and he has some firm ideas about what will work for you and what won't, based upon your conversations about your previous and current riding history. It's worth it to have someone experienced, knowledgeable and personally involved with you, that is holding the cool end of the torch that is welding your frame.

Now, I have a frame geometry that allows me good aero positioning without sacrificing my ability to climb. I hadn't been on a bike before this one that could do both.

By the way, Ves recommended I change my crankarm length. Turns out he was right, in spite of my hesitation about it. I've tested the different lengths against one another, and I do better on the one he suggested.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply