Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GFT swim
Quote | Reply
The GFT swim times for 2002 seem awfully fast. In my age group, 55-59, the times were around 1 hour with many under that. Looking at results for IMFL 2001 (excellent swim conditions) the times are much slower. The average was around 1:15 and no sub 1 hour times. This puzzles me because the overall times at GFT seem to be much slower even considering the hills on the bike course.

So what's with the GFT swim. Short course, swim with a strong current?
Quote Reply
Re: GFT swim [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't there (I am doing it this year) but I have followed the posts on their forum for quite some time. Apparently they mis-measured the course last year. I am sure they will fix that. (The bike was long too)--so I guess it balanced out--unless you are a fish like me.

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did GFT in 2001 and the swim conditions are pretty ideal. For one, it's a very calm lake (whereas IM Floridai is in a very angry sea), two you can walk out like 100 yards before you start swimming and three, there's only usually about half the number of athletes as there is in an official IMevent. All those factors make it a pretty fast swim.

I raced IM Florida the year after I did GFT and my times were pretty similar (actually 4 minutes faster at IMFL but that's because I became a better swimmer.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 2002 GFT swim course was very short. i would say .25 miles short or more. eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Re: GFT swim [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larry,

I did the GFT 1/2 last year. The swim was more like .25 mile short per 1/2. It's a two-lap course. Hopefully this will not be a problem in 2003. I've raced about 10 Fred Sommers events, and this is the only event where I saw significant gliches (swim short, bike long, run course marking poor), and from what I have been told, was very atypical for GFT. Bring your wetsuit and enjoy the race. Oh, train the short steep hills.

As for lodging, I live in Orlando. It is only 30 minutes away. Lodging is rough in Clermont. I suggest staying in Orlando where hotels are everywhere. The drive is no big deal.

Robert
Quote Reply