Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what to wear for IM
Quote | Reply
I am doing my first IM this summer. I am MOP and would be very happy with 13 hours or so, actually I will be estatic to finish period! I am questioning what to wear? For 1/2's I use tri shorts for swim. bike and run. But I am concidering using biking shorts ans switching to running shorts. I figure the extra 4 or 5 min to change will be paid for in comfort. Any thoughts????

Thanks

Steve
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: My first-timer plan... [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larry, it sounds like you are planning to leave your race number attached to a shirt only to be worn during the run. Ironman rules require your number to be worn on the back during the bike and on the front during the run. Ironman also has other clothing requirements. For example, you must have a certain amount of reflective material on your clothes and shoes. Although, I'm not sure how strictly these rules are inforced (maybe some ironvets here could provide some insight). Have a great race, I'll see you there.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: My first-timer plan... [matt in wa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You generally receive two numbers, so you can put one on the bike shirt and the other on the run shirt. Or, like I do--use a belt and wear it for both, just flipping it around back to front.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Matt... [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just did an official WTC event, the Utah Half IM. I got four numbers: to put on bike and on helmet, to pin on back of bike jersey and front of running jersey. But I (and many others) used a race belt, which we swung around to the back for the bike and swung around to the front for the run. The WTC officials said that was perfectly acceptable. I think they just give you the extra bib number in case you are using different run and bike jerseys and want to pin a number of each in advance.

On another note: I didn't see anything in the rules that prohibited trimming the race number, so I cut off the border and curved the corners so the bib number was smaller and more comfortable. Nobody objected. Do others of you do this?

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: what to wear for IM [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd go with a birthday suit.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By all means, take the time to change into running gear. Those couple minutes in T2 will only help you on the run and nice fresh clothes will feel great. When I did my only IM in '99, I wore the same Desoto shorts and top for the entire race. I'll tell you, after all the lake water, sweat, and pee, those shorts were feeling pretty clammy during run! I was looking pretty enviously at the runers who had taken the time to change!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.... by all means take the time to change, the extra minutes will be more than made up with the added comfort but, always remember to wear your "slowtwitch" gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before IMCal 2000 I asked Emilio, he said the DeSoto tri shorts were made with IM in mind. I wear them in all races of any length, they're always comfortable. Same with a Desoto top.

Why mess with pins etc for your race number, a belt is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could to what Retroman does and wear cut off jeans shorts for the whole thing, and keds for running shoes....or.....do what mere humans do.

Take a bunch of different things with you to the hotel - weather could force you to change your ideas in an instant.

First time I did IMUSA it was COLD and I was glad I had my toe warmers. I wore bike shorts for the bike and running shorts for the run (what was I thinking?)

The last time I did it I wore DeSoto Tri Shorts under the wetsuit w/ no top. Kept the shorts on and put on a DeSoto Tri Top for the bike. Kept both pieces on for the run. Was perfect! I was a bit concerned about the wet bike shorts but it made no difference as it poured for more than 1/2 of the bike ride anyway.

I've been curious about the skinsuit but being one who suffers stage fright or whatever the reason, I can't pee on the bike, and the thought of having to strip down the skinsuit so I could take care of business doesn't make much sense to me. I guess maybe I could hike the leg up...I dunno. Those tri shorts are what I train in every day, they work for me.

I _never_ wear running shorts anymore.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply