Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Azoto tilt position?
Quote | Reply
I switched from my Turbomatic4 to Azoto saddle last weekend. I don't think I've got the tilt right. The gel nose makes it hard and so does the rising back-end. I read a post on here someone suggested using a level then dropping the front just slightly. Do I need to get the nose level with the rear end of the saddle? The saddle is tilted at the moment about 1 1/4" downwards which feels OK but certain areas starts hurting after about 30min (not good) and although I'm not sliding forward I tend to want to go even more forward. (78 degree angle used).

All suggestions welcomed!

=====================================
For one who has no objective, nothing is relevant. (Confucius)
Quote Reply
Re: Azoto tilt position? [postmanpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i tried indefinitely to get the azoto to feel "right", but to no avail. tried many tilts angles, but ultimately traded it out to the terry fly tri gel... still evaluating it.

i digress... apparently many riders like the section from the top of the nose to midpoint to be level. in essence, you can level out the top of the rear to the top of the nose and then tilt it forward as you described. either way, you end up getting the front portion of the saddle level. good luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front half of the Azoto or Aspide trathlon saddls should be level-flat. This will place the back end slightly elevated, but that makes a good platform to push against. Saddles are not designed to be tilted downward at the nose. Your constant need to push yourself back on the saddle means you are sliding off the front. This has two effects: Your upper body is using more strength to keep you stable on the bike. Also, you tend to unconciously try to sit "harder" on the saddle in order to keep yourself in place. Level out the front end of your saddle and you'll probably find that you relax a lot more and have to use less pressure to keep yourself in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During my first rides with the Azoto I felt also sometimes uncomfortable.

I changed the saddle position that the nose was level to the ground. After this change and getting used mor to the saddle it is very comfortable.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am about 6 weeks into my Azoto trials. I think I have figured it out at least for me - did a very flat 1/2 IM this past weekend with a lot of time in the aerobars.

Here's what I have found. First, the high back end means that level should not be measured from the back of the saddle to the nose - just get the nose portion level. Also, if you notice the cushioning of the Azoto varies from the back of the gel portion to front with the nose having more give. I have found it more comfortable to ride a bit more forward out toward the nose. This is not the same as any other saddle I have tried since most get fairly narrow/stiff and tend to be less comfortable as you move out. The Azoto has allowed me to get forward and low, which is my main goal.

Initially, I did not think it was very comfortable either on the hoods or aerobars, but when I moved slightly forward all seemed to come together. I have grown to like to high back end too as it allows me to push off like the previous reply said. Hope this helps.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Azoto tilt position? [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bikesport Michigan Review of the Azoto saddle helped me to install the saddle correct:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/azoto.shtml

Felix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I’ve done 1 race with it and some training. My prostate is prostrated about this saddle! I’ve tried to level the front part… in fact… I went on a 50mile ride stopping almost every 8-10 miles to adjust the saddle (trying diff. positions)… it was KILLING me. Not the nice gel bit but the middle section was having a real old go at my …mmmm prostate section (sorry ladies).

I used a Selle Italia Turbomatic 4 before this saddle which was hard BUT comfortable, only the nose gets to you after many miles and not the most comfortable in an aero position but still better than the Azoto.

Anybody tried the Flite transam gel yet? Maybe a need a hole in the middle! Anyway thanks for all the advice but this saddle has to go… my family futures are at stake! Maybe post your favourite saddle and we can why you like it…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm very happy with my azoto, but i don't ride it *as is*. it only really works for me when i put a neoprene seat cover over the top. the upper on the azoto is not slick enough, and the stitching and all that stuff is of no use to me. the seat cover smooths all that over.

so you take your $130 saddle investment and for $15 or $20 more you really make it into a nice saddle. either a de soto or QR seat cover works fine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also gone through a lot of trial and errror to get my Azoto just right. If I tip it down too much, it's pretty comfy, but I'm pushing myself back too much. If I have it tilted up too far, that gel lump on the front really digs in where I don't want it to. There is a very specific spot that works for me, If I'm even a fraction off, it just doesn't feel quite right. When I have it right I feel like I'm settled between the rear and that lump in the front; almost like sitting on the saddle of a horse.

Since I ride a Softride, it's been even more challenging, because the typical leveling technique is a little off. I can make it level, then I jump on and my weight on the beam brings the nose up slightly.

Good luck, I took several rides with an allen wrench in my pocket and stopped frequently to get it where I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As slowman suggests try a QR seat cover, they make about any seat much more comfy. When I bought my road bike a few years ago I tried about 5 different seats. One day I was on a ride and a friend offered my his QR seat pad since he wasn't using it. Magic! these things work great, I have one on my Azoto and one on my road bike, the seat cover, for me, is probably the best investment I have made as far as comfort goes. I only have about 100 miles on my Azoto on my new steed. I rode it at first without the seat cover and it was not comfy, I lowered the front and encountered problems shoving myself back onto the seat, after adding the QR pad and leveling the front with an angle finder, it is very comfy now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased the Azoto a couple of weeks ago with a saddle cover. I have not been able to get the cover on. I found a link (http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../saddles/covers.html) to a document that supposedly shows how, but, it's broken (the link). Help!
Quote Reply
Re: Azoto tilt position? [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the QR cover too and it takes a few minutes of effort to get it on right. Turn it inside out. Start with the nose and work back, turning it rightside out as you put it on (kind of like a condom for your seat). Getting it started is the hard part, but once you do, just push, pull and slide it on a bit at a time. Once you get the nose of the saddle covered, you can do the rest pretty easily.

Take your time, you can pull pretty darn hard on that thing, but you can also rip it if you get carried away.
Quote Reply
Re: Azoto tilt position? [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with Barry. I've had my Azoto since last fall and I find it very comfortable IF I have the tilt exactly right. The last few months it's been dialed and I can comfortably ride 3+ hours (my longest) with it. The other day I tilted it just a hair up and it was awful, tilted it back and all was well. I've found I must have a seat post with the tilt adjustment like a Fast Forward or Thompson Zero set-back (I'm sure there are others with this type of adjusment, two allen screws, one in front of the post, one in back). 1/4 turn of the forward screw makes the difference between correct and not correct. The notched type tilt adjustment was too coarse for me.

After 9 months or so, I'm happy with the saddle. I have no desire to change and it is wearing very well. I have about 2000 miles on it now.

Oh, and I started out with a cover, since I had the cover on my previous saddle. Pulled it off after a month and have never wanted it back on.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman, seems sinsible to at least try a cover. Do I need the QR Softie or Flitie for the Azoto?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HALLELUJA! SORTED this baby! Well with the help of John Cobb's website (www.bicyclesports.com)... he has a suggestion for men to "trim" the saddle to the left or right depending if you are a leftie or rightie... (you guys will know what I mean ;-) ) Anyway so I set the nose to point right by about 5-7 degrees. PERFECT!!! Did a 50mile over the weekend and just to make sure I did a 1 hour on the turbo today (which usually tells you how hard your saddle really is!). O this baby is SWEET! Now I'm just waiting for the saddle cover I ordered for that "extra" comfort.
Thanks for everyone’s help!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any opinions on the Aspide triathlon version? It's a trimmed down version of the Azoto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
postmanpat,

What cover did you end up getting, and where did you order it from?
Quote Reply
Re: Azoto tilt position? [Jacko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jacko,

http://www.trisports.com/tnineopsadco.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Postman,

I finally dialed my Azoto in with details found earlier in this thread. I, too, had a cover (QR) on my previous saddle so I put it on my Azoto. Did not like it as much with the cover, seemed to be too thick (wide) at the nose. I thought it would just be "added comfort" like you say. But just in case you try it and don't like it as much, it's not all in your head. Unless you don't like the heavy stiching, I would keep riding without it and see where that takes you. Best of luck and way to be diligent.

Steve
Quote Reply