Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Helmet while on trainer?!
Quote | Reply
In reading one of the FIST stories on the home page, there is a small picture of the Slowman (I assume) on a trainer and wearing a helmet. I wear a helmet on every outdoor ride (sometimes begrudglingly, but I always protect my head), but never while on a trainer. Is this a common practice? Seems a bit odd to me, but then, I'm not always up on my cycling etiquitte.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet while on trainer?! [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh, that's pretty weird. He probably just came back in from a ride or some such thing.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Notice the CT load generator jerry-rigged to the front fork/wheel assy. He most likely is riding rollers. No need for the rig otherwise.

And yes, my wife and I both wear our helmets when riding the rollers. Too many hard, pointy things lying around.

vo"longtimelurkerfirsttimeposter"2

3-legged dog limps into a saloon, looks around and growls, "I'm lookin' for the man that shot my paw".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of funny stories about people crashing on rollers and Bob Mina just wrote a funny piece on XTRI.com about almost crashing a spinning class bike.

Better safe than sorry!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are getting fit to a bike - would it not be important to know if you are to low to see the road from under a helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet while on trainer?! [vo2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that Dan explained his set up awhile back, and he might chime in here eventually.

I don't know how exactly his bike is set up, but it's a custom affair. By setting the computrainer resistance on the top of the front wheel, he can adjust the press on force without leaving his bike. For those of you who don't own computrainers, you essentially control one aspect of the rolling resistance by adjusting the flywheel and tire interface. After about 5 minutes of warm up, computrainer suggests that you 'calibrate' your bike to the trainer.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet while on trainer?! [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So he is on rollers?

vo2

Where does a bee use the bathroom? At a BP station.
Quote Reply
Re: Helmet while on trainer?! [vo2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't believe he is. Scroll down in the article, but here's the link.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...festyle/trainer.html

"As for the trainer itself, it is my "fit bike." I had Mandaric make it for me. It's the bike on which I place those who have a lot more money than I do and are willing to part with way too much of it to have me fit them up for tri geometry. It wasn't made with collarbone-challenged riders in mind but it fits the bill perfectly.

It's infinitely adjustable, and weighs about a ton (well, probably 150 lbs.) It looks like a spin bike, except in place of the "flywheel" in front it has a spoked wheel with a 7-speed Shimano Nexus hub (with internal planetary gears). It's got a Computrainer load generator bolted on the front, above the wheel, so that the rider can adjust wheel tension and turn the power on and off without having to get off the bike."

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never wear a helmet on my indoor trainer but always if I am outdoors.

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply