Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

going sockless
Quote | Reply
I've started training sockless to toughen my feet for racing sprints and oly's sockless. I've come up with a few small blisters and I'm wondering if it's better to use powder to keep mositure down in my shoes or use a lube, vasaline, to cut down on friction?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: going sockless [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Vaseline. The powder just gets caked on and disgusting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The blisters will give way to callouses after not too long. You shouldn't need anything after that other than an abrasive pad to keep them from getting too big and nasty. One thing to be careful about the callouses though is that when they get soggy from being in water a long time they get loose and you can RIP them right off. I used to suffer that problem regularly when I was into competitive water skiing. Ouch!

If you blister badly, put socks back on for a few days till it heals and starts to harden. Expose them a little at a time.

Walk around barefoot more often as well.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lube is better IMO. Also try wrapping duct tape or surgical tape over the known problem areas before a run. If a blister exists, first put a small bit of duct tape sticky-side onto the sticky-side of the tape used for wrapping. This puts a slippery bit of duct tape over the blister itself, to prevent further irritation or problems when removing the wrapping tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bodyglide works great for me.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any running shoes specifically designed to be worn sockless? I have been using Asics Gel DS Trainers for the last year or so, but the inside liner material really tears up my feet when I go sockless. Right now I have a blister the size of a nickel over the metatarsal (I think) bone (right below and forward of the inner ankle bone.)
Quote Reply
Re: going sockless [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some shoes have a "footsock" in them, rather than a separate lining and tongue. If anything, those are the closest you'll find to shoes that are designed to be worn sockless (except for track spikes). The NB920 is a damn comfortable shoe without socks is you don't have EEE feet.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been sockless for so long that I don't remember what I used (if any thing) for the initial condition/toughening phase. During the running part of my life I was able to run mileage up to 100 per week without even thinking about my feet once they were "toughened up." I am an exclusive ASICS wearer and did find that attempts to switch to different kinds of shoes (i.e. the close out bargain saucony or nike) often did lead to issues with seams and what not. I've always been able to wear SIDI shoes, from the T-1 to the Genius models with no problems sans socks.

This is actually my first year of wearing socks due to my wife's never ending complaint of the smell. Additionally, we moved this year and I started a new job and figured the new office mates could also do without the smell as well since I run over the lunch hour. I really don't like wearing socks though and want to stop wearing them again and wonder if I'll have blister problems and such now that my feet have "softened" up.

I say to try and use a well ventilated shoe if possible to cut down on the moisture until your feet develops callouses (sp) on the regular contact points. Then, be careful switching to different shoes with different contact points and you should be good to go. Then again, I have running friends who get blisters while sleeping at night it seems so who knows . . . .
Quote Reply