Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fat and Lazy: Help!
Quote | Reply
I've been training regularly for two years straight now, which probably isn't very long compared to the rest of you! I took a forced break in the summer since my kids were out of school and at home, so it was very hard to fit in exercise. I still found time to sporadically get my runs and swims in, no more than 3 times a week total for all types.

September came and my kids were in school. I actually have the luxury of exercising between 9-3, but have been bogged down with my other sedentary activities. I am sure I could find time to exercise, but I have been having trouble motivating myself to get out of my computer chair.

Yesterday I stepped on the scale, for the first time in months, and after indulging in Hallowe'en candies as if I was still working out regularly. My weight has ballooned up so I am now 10 pounds over race weight, and my "fat jeans" are straining with the load of gut trying to escape.

I have stopped training with a club because I am now doing two night time sedentary activities and cannot ask for my husband to watch the children for 5 nights a week!!!

Any suggestions to snap me out of this? The most I "train" now is one long weekend ride, commute cycling through the week, one run, and one swim. The run is pathetic by the way... I run barefoot on the treadmill while watching "Glee."
Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off 10lbs over race weight is nothing. Most top athletes see 10% swing in weight between race weight and recovery/down-time weight. So stop thinking about that too much...

Second off, if you can train between 9-3 most days of the week, then you already have oh about 200% more time for training than most of us do. You don't need a club, but you have to want it. My suggestion is:

GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

Go for a walk - start with a walk to the grocery store even. Go run outside - screw the treadmill. Leave your evenings for you and your family to spend together.

GO NOW. BACK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER. DON'T MAKE ME DISCONNECT YOUR CABLE/ADSL.

Report back in an hour that you went for a walk at least.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply, AndyPants. I will back away from the computer right after this, promise!

I thought I should clarify that although I have between 9-3 to exercise, that I didn't mean that I have nothing to do but exercise. I have what is essentially a full time job without pay, volunteering for an immense fundraising project, plus I have other errands that need to be done to get my life in order. I didn't mean to come off as a whining housewife when some of you are working full time. I'm going back to work in January full time, or at least that's the plan.

That being said, there is no excuse for me not finding at least an hour for exercise every day. I've lost my drive to exercise that served me so well for the past few years.

I will go outside today for a run--great suggestion. I run all my errands by bicycle (except Costco supply runs), but most trips are less than 30 minutes in duration.

Thank goodness I have this forum to turn to. My non-triathlete friends don't exercise at all and think I'm insane for exercising three times a week.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Nov 16, 10 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phew! good to know, I didn't want to be jealous ;-)

I run virtually every day at lunch (I work 8 to 4:30/5 days a week). I find the routine comforting. On days I miss my run due to a meeting running long/some fire that has to be dealt with immediately, I really notice the lack of exercise. I have a reasonably high-stress job and when I do not exercise I cannot manage my stress very well (read: become super bitchy and want to drink a lot to cope). So maybe just setting an alarm clock to go at 12 noon which is your cue to go out.

Ap

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Karen, you know you need regular exercise in order to be happy. What more is there to say? Make it happen lady! Find a training partner and make time for yourself. Enjoy life, being fat and lazy isn't going to make you feel fulfilled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Karen, I usually find myself very unmotivated to swim. Most of the time I don't want to go. What I usually do is tell myself "just swim for 20 minutes". Once I get in the pool and into the groove I end up doing much more. Just set small goals for youself like a 15 minute run and you might find you'll feel good and end up going longer. Or try to do a 15 minute run 5 days during the week, that way it doesn't seem too daunting and you'll also build consistency. Writing up a workout plan or getting a plan written for you can help too.

Have you tried working out right after your kids go to school? When you get up the morning change into your workout clothes, then right after the kids go on the bus (or after you drop them off) go exercise before you get on the computer.

I hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sign up for a race (maybe even sign up with a friend or your husband). that always motivates me to get out the door. Once you've paid your money it's too late to turn back
Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've put on 5 lbs in the last month so I feel your pain. The weather is part of the problem but other part is a bit of burnout.

What I do is commit to 20 minutes, no more, and if I'm feeling good I go longer. I'm not following a structured training schedule and in same ways that is freeing but other ways if gives me an opportunity to blow stuff off.

Are you better on a planned schedule? If so, write one up every Sunday. I also sign up for events otherwise things really go downhill.

Recognize it as a phase and commit to a number every day, like 20 minutes, that will get you out the door and then decide if you feel good enough to do more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to agree with squid. Sign up for a race, the more expensive the better, invest the money so you will do it! Print off the race homepage or something similar and tape this to your bathroom mirror you look in every morning. Visualize your goal every day! Start a short running plan daily. Start at 15 - 20min a day every day. Layout your clothes, shoes and everything the night before so you don't even think about anything, but getting in the clothes, getting out for at least 15 min. Once this is a habit, then increase your time, after two weeks.
I sign up for races to motivate myself as I am too cheap to walk away from the investment and there is nothing like public humiliation to motivate me to get moving and finish the race in a decent time. Yes I have been near dead last and I was rather embarrassed by it. Never again. Find a friend to hold yourself accountable as well. I am web designer and sit for hours a day in front of a computer so I know how hard that is. You need to get your exercise done before you hit the computer chair or it is really hard to get motivated.
Good luck. Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
Laura
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I start out exercising in the morning, then I feel the whole day is set for feeling good, eating right, etc....
Also, as was mentioned before, there are plenty of times when I don't want to move but I make a deal with myself that after a certain amount of time, if I don't feel motivated then I can stop. I've never stopped yet!

You always feel waaaay better after you exercise......right??!!! Get going!

*Anne*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you to all for the great suggestions. I *have* entered a race... I traditionally do the first triathlon of the year, which is in March in temperatures barely above freezing. It seems so far away though.

I seem to have a case of burnout and the prospect of a race doesn't excite me as much as before. Probably what is contributing to my burnout is that I have felt under pressure to exercise so often that it has become a chore--twice a week for each discipline is draining when I have so many other responsibilities pulling at me.

I really like the idea of exercising first thing in the morning, except I have been thwarted every day this week due to volunteer commitments at 9 am. This has been a particularly draining week. I'm not sure I could cheat myself and pretend that I would only run 20 minutes when I know full well that if I'm out there, I might as well complete the time and distance... It's more that I intend to run for 45 minutes and end up doing 30 minutes instead.

I have yet to find an appropriate training buddy who is available during the day. Most of my friends work full time and those who don't are pretty much couch potatoes who think I'm an exercise freak! Last time I tried to run with someone, they kept jamming on me for all kinds of reasons, including saying they "forgot." Not much luck there. She jammed so often that I ended up become much faster and she was no longer a suitable running partner.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. I will beat this thing-- I have to! So, the good news is I only gained 8 pounds, and not 10, which isn't much of a difference, but at least it's not in the double digits! I don't expect miracles over the next while, especially since my parents are visiting early next week so I'll be even less inclined to exercise during their brief one week visit. Argh.

All the best to you, helpful people.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Nov 19, 10 14:36
Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What I do is commit to 20 minutes, no more, and if I'm feeling good I go longer. I'm not following a structured training schedule and in same ways that is freeing but other ways if gives me an opportunity to blow stuff off.

This, a million times. Once you get going, it's so much easier to get going. Also, forcing yourself to get into the routine for a week or 3 - then you'll love it. They key is to get into the routine and not break it.

Until you're in a solid training cycle, don't worry about the weight. If you build up, the weight will come off.

10lb - nothing. MCL injury has left me 25+ lbs over race weight. There's a long winter to burn it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I do is commit to 20 minutes, no more, and if I'm feeling good I go longer.

x3. But first go buy yourself a cute new running ensemble or shoes. I'm always more inspired to get after it if I have a new piece of something to wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thank you to all for the great suggestions. I *have* entered a race... I traditionally do the first triathlon of the year, which is in March in temperatures barely above freezing. It seems so far away though.

I seem to have a case of burnout and the prospect of a race doesn't excite me as much as before. Probably what is contributing to my burnout is that I have felt under pressure to exercise so often that it has become a chore--twice a week for each discipline is draining when I have so many other responsibilities pulling at me.

I really like the idea of exercising first thing in the morning, except I have been thwarted every day this week due to volunteer commitments at 9 am. This has been a particularly draining week. I'm not sure I could cheat myself and pretend that I would only run 20 minutes when I know full well that if I'm out there, I might as well complete the time and distance... It's more that I intend to run for 45 minutes and end up doing 30 minutes instead.

I have yet to find an appropriate training buddy who is available during the day. Most of my friends work full time and those who don't are pretty much couch potatoes who think I'm an exercise freak! Last time I tried to run with someone, they kept jamming on me for all kinds of reasons, including saying they "forgot." Not much luck there. She jammed so often that I ended up become much faster and she was no longer a suitable running partner.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. I will beat this thing-- I have to! So, the good news is I only gained 8 pounds, and not 10, which isn't much of a difference, but at least it's not in the double digits! I don't expect miracles over the next while, especially since my parents are visiting early next week so I'll be even less inclined to exercise during their brief one week visit. Argh.

All the best to you, helpful people.

I work from home and my husband is the housetakercarerof. I did it for 12 years and now he's doing it. I also homeschool the 3 youngest (eldest goes to school in town and husband does the drop off and pick up or the kid takes a colectivo home (we live in Mexico)). I work 7 days/week and was up at 3:30 (not by choice, I usually get up at 4-4:30) to work a few hours and then exercise, work, homeschool, work, exercise, work and then homeschool again. I find getting exercise out of the way first thing is what works for me. Also, (I'm injured so that's why the amount is so low) but instead of thinking of the "whole" run, just commit to running 6-7 days a week 10 minutes each run. Even though it is a laughably low amount of running it is still 60-70 more minutes than you're doing now. Course I find it takes me longer to get ready for a 10 min run than to run it. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Want motivation,try getting hit on your bike and CAN'T even walk for three months.You know you don't know what you got till it's gone,well don't wait till then.Be thankful what you have,your health and use it for you and the good of others around you. God Bless and get up get out there and enjoy what many others would love to have the option of doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What I do is commit to 20 minutes, no more, and if I'm feeling good I go longer.

x3. But first go buy yourself a cute new running ensemble or shoes. I'm always more inspired to get after it if I have a new piece of something to wear.

I second that:-) And new music on ipod is great too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I know this one all too well. When I get into a rut, I find that the best way to pull myself OUT is to change things up. If another form of activity intrigues you - especially over the next few weeks when the holidays tend to trash training efforts - then maybe it's a good time to find a yoga class, do a hike, do some cross-country skiing, focus on strength training or take a group exercise class of some sort. Sometimes the thought of routine feels so... well, you know, routine!

Most important is to just get active doing something, get the endorphins circulating, feel your body come alive again. Momentum is a great friend here....

MirZ

Triathlon Lifestyle Expert and Licensed Sports Nutritionist

Get your FREE training blueprints at http://www.triathlonexperts.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an update from me... some good news.

Thanks again to all of you with your great suggestions. My weight is back down to 119 (2 pounds over my race weight), despite inhaling 1.33 kilos of Chocolate Easter Eggs last month (yes, I know it's not even close to Easter yet--curse you, Costco!). It took a good four months to lose the weight, and it may be another month or two before I lose the last two pounds. I suppose the Easter eggs didn't help. I think running three times a week is key. I also swim twice a week, and do one long ride on weekends with my husband (2-3 hours) and ride throughout the week for transportation.

It was helpful to sign my kids up for swim club--so that I swim for an hour when they do, making it twice a week as a minimum. It was also helpful to put on my running clothes and have a regular time to go out: M, W, F. I am the kind of person who needs a schedule. Also, I started taking my Garmin with me on every ride and run. So, it's sort of a contest with myself to rack up the mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good deal! Sounds like adding more structure has helped you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have to do a triathlon/triathlon-specific training? Sometimes I've had the burnout of the doing all three sports. If I've switched sports (generally running/marathon training), then it's been better because I don't have to force myself to get in the pool (the least favorite of my tri training)...

Good luck with everything...sometimes it's a matter of switching sports or "types" of races...case in point...after doing my first Ironman last year (and I did balloon in weight following it because I had the "I don't care, I just did an Ironman! mentality), it took me until now to sign up for my next race/challenge...a 50K trail running race in Wisconsin. It's definitely given me a kick in the pants...and I'm glad I don't have to get in the pool. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fat and Lazy: Help! [trikitty57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik, yes, a schedule has definitely helped. Plus putting my volunteer activities down on the priority list.

Trikitty57, yes I want to do triathlon specific training as I am planning to race in June. I find all three sports boring now unless I have companions to train with. Left my tri club and its regular workouts and I seem to need the scheduling and the companionship.

I don't mind the pool as long as I have my music to listen to. I am frustrated that I don't seem to be getting any faster, though.

So, the weight loss was only water loss. I'm back up to 121! Oh well! Four more pounds to go!
Quote Reply