Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I need to get a cell phone, question.
Quote | Reply
Looks like my family will be leaving the dark ages and getting a cell phone. Does anybody have any advice in what to look for?

We like the idea of free nights and weekends with free long distance, so an pay as you go doesn't seem to work for us.
Quote Reply
Re: I need to get a cell phone, question. [damn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have bought two phones so far. Both have been from Cingular from the website. The deals i have gotten from the website have been 100x better than what they offer in the stores. Each of my phones was free from cingular.com when i signed up for a 2 year agreement.

Most of my friends have att or cingular, so i dont have to pay for talking to them, and my unused minutes get rolled over for up to a year.

my .02

Anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you ask other people around you what provider they use and if they get good signal everywhere around where you live. The maps on companies' websites are not always accurate. it doesn't matter much if you get a cool phone or a great deal on a neat plan if your phone drops signal every other block.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of the cheapest free cell phone the provider is offering. I'm a cheapskate.

That said, it would be nice to have better coverage. My cell phone is pretty hit too. I am due for a new one. I hate flip-phones too.

And whatever you do- don't wear your cell phone on the outside of clothes. It's the pocket protector of the 2000's.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you activate your phone from whatever provider, charge it up and turn it on. Then go to the places where you are most frequently and see how many signal bars you get. That way you will get a good idea if the signal is good in your area.

By not activating the phone it saves some trouble. All you have to do is return the phone and not have to deal with disconnecting with the service provider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI-I've had all cell services and lots of different phones. The best combo so far - and by a million miles!!!! - is Verizon with a LG phone. Verizon in MIchigan is by far the best coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I joined the cult of cell phones users about a year ago(the only thing my fiance has been able to change about me so far).

Prices seem to be lower on the internet than in the stores.

Look for a service where you do not have to sign a long term agreement.

Ask yourself who are you going to be calling and when and that will tell you what time of minute plan to get.

If you aren't going to use the cell phone for long distance don't get any long distance. I use mine just for a few local calls so i get a free phone and the minimum number of local minuites per month and have never gone over the number of minutes.

Good luck, it can be confusing and overwhelming looking at all the deals.
Quote Reply