Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jobs for introverts
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was my last day of work, and I'm getting everything ready for the big move to Colorado. While I plan on staying home for a while with the kiddos, I do anticipate getting back into the job market sometime in the future. For the last 10 yrs or so, I've been a defense lawyer specializing in commercial disputes. Before I go back to doing that again just because I know I can, I thought I'd investigate what else might be out there. I'd like to steer clear of conflict-oriented jobs. I'm introverted, so the job can't involve constant people interaction (i.e., no sales); that said, I don't want to be stuck alone for days on end. I'm not shy and I'm not afraid of public speaking. I'm a mental midget in math, so no engineering-type work. I'd be willing to go back to school. Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Jobs for introverts [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
finally ready to move huh? Welcome to Colorado:) To avoid the " doing that again just because I know I can" situation do you have any interests you want to move toward? There are probably tons of introvert jobs but if you are going back to work might as well make it something interesting and worth your time?

It sounds like you don't need to work so you should focus on doing something that makes you happy and won't add stress to your life:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dog walker/pet sitter. Serious. As an attorney, you are well trained for the clientelle.

Start your own servce. Set your own hours. Might not make quite as much moolah, but I'm sure the work satisfaction quotient would be higher.

When I move to Colorado (in June -- to Fort Collins), I'm seriously thinking of doing this. My wife's a vet, so it would complement her career nicely.

Or, you could always write the great American legal novel.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Jobs for introverts [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey another one huh? We will have to get a group together this summer for a ride or meet at some races? Got any planned yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Jobs for introverts [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing planned yet. We will be out there sometime mid June. My wife's going to be a resident at the CSU vet school. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. The dog walking thing sounds good.

Where are you? Any suggestions/Advice? I'm coming from Vegas, so anyting is better than here.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Jobs for introverts [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Denver about an hour south straight down I-25 but went to school in Greely just east of Ft Collins. You are close to Boulder which is cool too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi amy - hope your move goes well!

have you considered teaching? I think it is a career many lawyers might have pursued if the salary weren't so much less than what a lawyer can make. On the up side though is a tremendous karmic bonus (certainly not included in most legal pay packages!) and challenge of teaching and inspiring kids, hopefully in a subject you find interesting (if you are a lawyer there is a high likelihood you were a liberal arts gal in college?). Its not a job for excessive introverts but teacher-pupil interaction is a far cry from marketing and sales. You may be able to test the waters by applying as a sub, or by first doing a volunteer tutoring program to get experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Jobs for introverts [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
School in Greeley? Northern Colorado?

I graduated from UNC in 82 with a BS in Accounting.

Go Bears!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about buying and selling commercial real estate? This is not to suggest you be a real estate agent or a broker, but to simply buy a property that will provide for a nice check from the renter every month. If you have the capital, and can get approved for a fairly large loan, it's an excellent "job" for an introvert.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also an introvert.

In the last year I have become a personal trainer. There is people contact but not on a "sales" level. I have also entered a medical massage school. As a triathelte I have looked for ways to spread my passion about the sport and I can think of no better way than helping people get or stay healthy and helping themrecoverform their injuries and relieving stress.

Massage is really great for introverts as you have to have a medical history interview at the start of the session but for the next hour you speak only to have the client roll over or move a body part.

Good Luck in Colorado. I spent my high school years there and absolutley loved it. Once you have snow skied in Colorado you will never ski in Michigan again.
Quote Reply