Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Proper way to dismount with clippless pedals?
Quote | Reply
Newbie here wondering how one gets off the bike after coming to a stop with clipless pedals. Do you unclip both feet before coming to a complete stop or does one unclip one side then stop and unclip the other? Please help as I am practicing in parking lots but have not gotten comfortable yet with stopping OR with taking off from the stopped position. Clip in one side pedal and then clip in the other side is what I am doing. Is that right?

Go Big Red
Quote Reply
Re: Proper way to dismount with clippless pedals? [BigRedMachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've learned 2 different ways :

1) unclip right foot and bring your right leg next to your left. Grab your seat with the right hand, left still on the handlebar. Weight mostly on the seat. When close to the line, unclip your left and fall behind your pedals on the left side of the bike. Then, run!

It's a little scary at first but it's fast.

2) take feet off the shoes and apply the #1 method with feets on the shoes. It's easier to run without the shoes.

Hope that helps, I just learned it! :)

Richard

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Proper way to dismount with clippless pedals? [BigRedMachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to practice. Unclip one side while still moving (slowly)...stop, put your free foot down and get stable...then unclip the other. It'll become a habbit. In fact, I had to actually think about how I unclip and stop. I prefer to unclip the right side first.

Starting out, clip one side in, get on the bike bring your clipped foot to the top of the pedal and start pedaling, once you get moving clip in the other foot. good luck

rusty

"Strategy? The strategy was in the preparation" - Lance Armstrong after winning 2000 TDF
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to be a multisport athlete practice as a multisport athlete. Yesterday in a race I came into T2 within a large group of riders, I unfastned the straps on my shoes about 75 meters out of the transition area, but had a brain cramp, and left my feet in the shoes. I got to the dismount line and did something (Which I don't know what I did) but safely got off of the bike and ran bare foot to my spot. I try to practice each I ride (but I don't always) too take my feet out of my shoes before I stop and pedal with them on top of my shoes so that it will become second nature. After my experience yesterday I will make sure I practice this more often.

As far as taking off do just the opposite as above, I use rubber bands to hold my shoes in place, run to the mount area put my feet on top of my shoes and pedal away. I secure my feet in my shoes whenever I am comfortable doing it.

Check out this link http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/shoes.shtml

In my opinion this is how you should train. I will no longer put my shoes on before they are locked in and I will dismount without my shoes.

To gain confidence while clipping in and out -practice-practice-practice. Momentum is your friend use it. Once you get confident in clipping in and out, learn to track stand, not that you may ever use it but it will help with balance and build your confidence and increase the enjoyment of riding your bike. Start easy by confining yourself to lets say a small area (between expansion cracks) within a larger flat parking lot, roll around it very slowly turning to stay within your imaginary small area, pushing your balance limit ever so slightly to stay within your small area. Over time make the small area smaller and smaller. Eventually you will be able to track stand. Good luck.
Last edited by: Stewart: Jun 9, 03 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: Proper way to dismount with clippless pedals? [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you are going to be a multisport athlete practice as a multisport athlete. "

couldn't agree more. even more, just because you don't care about your transition time, doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared to dismount and get out of the way quickly. while I was watching the WildFlower Oly for my wife to come in, I saw packs of riders come in, block the entire transition entrance as they stopped and slowly dismounted. You're blocking the whole way! I'm not trying to rush you or anything, but you shouldn't be impeding others way.

wow. I must be grumpy today.
Quote Reply
Re: Proper way to dismount with clippless pedals? [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you what NOT to do...

I was heading into trasition - a "helpful" person (voulenteer, bless her heart) decided to jump in front of me to help me off my bike. So, I basically ram a woman who is about 5'4" 180lbs and flip over her. That was the fastest bike to run transition ever for me....I went over the bars, managed to get my feet in front of me and land running...I kinda just kept going and got my bag and changed in front of the tent at IMLP 2000

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply