Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just ... too... damn... much
Quote | Reply
At the risk of being labeled a major troll, I just had to pass this along. After all, isn’t everyone allowed at least one troll per year?

Surfing the news, I came across this item:

- TURNING DOWN THE HEAT: Michael Moore purposely did not submit "Fahrenheit 9/11," his indictment of the Bush administration's handling of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, in the documentary category in hopes of being considered for best picture. But his film was shut out completely.

And I thought to myself, yeah, go for it, dufus. The classic snowball chance in Hell. Then, out of curiosity, I was wondering what was little Mikeys’ response to this “snub”, so I moseyed over to his website, and found nothing. But then, I came across the unbelievable following:

Welcome to the Fahreneheit 9/11 TEACHER'S GUIDE.

The lessons and activities in this GUIDE are designed to help students develop a critical analytical ability, historical perspective, and applied math skills that will open their minds beyond the current issues covered in Fahrenheit 9/11.

The individual units may easily be adapted to many levels and taught across the curriculum - Social Science, [History, Civics, Psychology, Sociology, Political Science, Economics] Language Arts, Humanities, Drama/Theatre, Film, ESL, Media/Journalism, Speech/Communications, Mathematics...

Develop a critical analytical ability?

Historical perspective?

Applied math skills???

This is just so wrong on so many levels, it is simply unbelievable. Someone please tell me it is just a joke.

P.s. Note that the only legitimate class curriculum for this BS was omitted –Ethics, as in the example of lack of film making ethics.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Just ... too... damn... much [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This ain't a troll. A troll would be you hiding under a bridge getting ready to knock us upside the head with billyclub. You've clearly warned us of you intentions, so unless you are a closet Micahel Moore fan, your doing just fine.

Personally, I'm still fuming over his comments at the VH1 awards where he compared what he was doing with the election to the Civil Rights Movement and black people.
Quote Reply
Re: Just ... too... damn... much [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Teachers can use books or novels with inherent author bias to develop skills, but not films? Nowhere does this guide say you have to be a fan of the film to deconstruct it using/under the stated perspectives.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: Just ... too... damn... much [martyg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Films can be a great source for learning. However, in this case, I went through some of the questions used to stimulate analytical thinking by the students. They were all based on treating the film material as factual and accurate, thus promoting the film's inaccurate and biased message. That, I have a problem with.

A case in point is Oliver Stone's JFK movie where fiction was clearly added for either plot purposes, or in Oliver's words "it probably happened and therefore is reasonable to place it in the film." Mr. Stone did not indicate upfront that this was a fictionalized story and protested the criticism foe quite some time. There is a whole generation under thirty now, who get most of their history from TV and movies (witness Jay Leno's Jay-Walking clips) who believe that Stone's movie represents a reasonably accurate account of JFK’s assassination.

Mr. Moore’s claims in the teacher supplement tend to be as lame as his movies. For example, to exercise student math skills, a question is asked regarding the slimness of the vote margin in the 2000 Florida presidential election results. The question guide tells the student to go get a calculator and calculate the percentages. Now, that is real impressive work to improve math skills.

I would be much more impressed if the film was used as a subject to teach critical thinking and logic/argument by the process of deconstructing the film and comparing the film’s logic with the complete individual facts. I remember an unbiased teacher doing this with the Beatles “Lucy in the Sky” in ninth grade and found it fascinating. Unfortunately, the questions and guideline don't deconstruct Mr. Moore's movie, they reinforce it with the intention of propagating the "theory" of his movie.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply