Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy
Quote | Reply
What's the solution? I don't think there one single "universal solution", though. Maybe it's time to think about nationalizing health? I dunno.....

Health costs top threat to profits

Corporate America is reeling from rising premium expenses

January 25, 2005

BY KIM NORRIS
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Health care costs are moving front and center as the single biggest factor impacting corporate profits and U.S. companies' inability to compete globally.

Whether it's a strike at General Electric over the company's efforts to make employees pay more for health benefits, airlines' threats to file bankruptcy if workers don't give up some benefits, or earnings that are depressed by health care premiums, companies throughout the nation are talking about the need to get a grip on costs that have risen faster than all other economic indicators.

The issue got an airing last week when executives at General Motors Corp., the world's largest private purchaser of health care insurance, said the costs of providing health benefits to 1.2 million workers, retirees and dependants will cause the Detroit automaker to earn less than it projected earlier in the year.

In 2004, GM spent $5.2 billion on health care, $400 million more than in 2003. And the automaker said it expects to spend $400 million more this year -- or $5.6 billion. Cost increases -- particularly in prescription drug use -- wiped out tax benefits GM received from the Medicare Reform Act that subsidizes corporate drug spending.

"These health care costs are not in our control," said John Devine, chief financial officer of GM. "It's been especially frustrating the last few years. We work with our providers, our people, our union and with Washington, but it's largely outside our control."

Last week, the nation's largest auto parts supplier echoed the sentiment. Delphi Corp. said it lost money for the second year in a row, in part because of health costs.

More than a year-and-a-half ago, Ford Motor Co. Chairman Bill Ford told a gathering of business and political leaders that the spiraling cost of health care "is the biggest issue on our plate that we can't solve. Health care is just out of control."

"I thinks it's more serious than anyone thought," said David Cole, director of the Center for Automotive Research. "If there were 4-, 5-percent increases, that would be one thing. But this is double-digit, out of control -- it swamps any of" GM's "efforts to control costs of manufacturing a product."

"This is not just an auto issue; it's a societal issue."

Throughout the nation, employers -- which pay for at least half of the nation's health coverage -- are struggling to contain costs that have far outpaced inflation and are threatening companies' ability to grow, compete and, in some cases, continue.

"Our standard of living has not grown the way health care has," said Helen Darling, president of the National Business Group on Health. Members represent 233 of the largest employers -- businesses that collectively cover more than 50 million people.

"Everything you look at -- earnings, inflation, etc. health care is way out of line. It's the Pac-Man of the federal budget. ...Wherever you look, health care is the problem."

In 2003, GE's efforts to pass more costs on to workers prompted a two-day strike at the Connecticut-based conglomerate's locations nationwide.

The United States spends more on health care than any other nation. Health expenditures rose from $1.3 trillion in 2000 to $1.7 trillion in 2003. The health sector consumed 15.3 percent of the nation's gross domestic product in 2003, up from 13.3 percent in just three years.

Industry observers say the problem is bigger even than in the 1980s, before managed care came on the scene and curbed increases for a little more than a decade before costs started spiraling again.

Those who pay for health care -- businesses, government and individuals -- are becoming more vocal about the need to bring costs in line.

But that's about where the agreement begins and ends.

"There isn't a consensus, I can tell you that," Darling said. "Everyone agrees there's a problem, but no one agrees on the solution."

However, there are some broad concepts around which consensus appears to be building, all premised upon the almost universally accepted truth that the U.S. health system is inefficient, wasteful and hard to navigate.

Increase coverage, lower costs

Businesses and individuals paying for health care recognize they also pick up the tab for the 45 million Americans who aren't covered, through higher premiums, higher taxes and higher costs of doing business and buying goods and services. If everyone were covered, costs would be spread among the entire population and the insured wouldn't subsidize the uninsured.

But agreeing that people should have coverage is not the same as agreeing how to make it happen.

The UAW and U.S. Rep. John Dingell have called for a government funded national health-care system for a long time.

"If you look, you will find every country has national health insurance paid for by the government and not by the companies," Dingell told the Free Press last week.

Indeed, U.S. businesses are quick to note that their overseas competitors have a distinct advantage by operating in countries in which the government picks up the bulk of the tab for citizens' health care. That removes the burden from employers for covering active workers and retirees and leaves them free to deploy their financial resources elsewhere.

Nevertheless, big business generally has opposed government-run health care. That doesn't mean they are completely opposed to getting some help from taxpayers.

GM, for example, wants the federal government to make sure everyone has coverage. It supports the idea of government-funded catastrophic health-care coverage for individuals who ring up big health bills from a single event.

Accentuate the positive

A growing chorus of payers is calling for standardized ways to measure quality and set benchmarks and more public disclosure of how doctors and hospitals perform in relation to those benchmarks.

Companies like GM have taken to grading health plans, doctors and hospitals and charging workers more if they choose lower-rated providers.

Some large companies and insurers have implemented so-called pay-for-performance programs in which doctors earn incentives for better quality.

GE has taken a leadership role in implementing a program called Bridges to Excellence. It pays incentives to doctors who follow proven quality guidelines.

The fragmented nature of the health care system -- with its myriad payers, insurers, providers and users operating independently of one another -- is a recipe for mistakes, oversights, redundancies and waste.

"We need more integration," says Andrew Webber, president of the National Business Coalition on Health, a group of state and local health coalitions. "The system is very fragmented. Patients are handed off from one provider to another; there's no continuity of care. Providers operate in separate silos."

Billing procedures alone are a nightmare of paperwork and coding. Patient records reside in disparate providers' offices and are rarely consolidated. Doctors and hospitals do not share information that can lead to best practices and save lives and money.

Increasingly, payers are looking at how extensively providers are using technology when they grade them.

"Toyota and the Japanese demonstrated that if you put effort into re-engineering processes you could improve product and reduce operating costs," Webber said.

Contact KIM NORRIS at 313-222-8762 or norris@freepress.com. Free Press auto writer Jeffrey McCracken contributed to this report.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly there are a number of reasons that contribute to this.

I'm not sure how many years ago it was, but, the healthcare industry in the US switched from a care provider objective to a profit objective.

Further, it would seem that limits or preset amounts for medical malpractice should be in place. I had an uncle die form lysteriosis last year. Most likely this was food born as my uncle had a habit of eating very rare meats. My aunt has an attorney going after the hospital where he had a medical procedure. Funny that no one else picked up the bacteria at that clinic.

My perspective is more on the billing and payment system side of things. While improvement has taken place, there is still a very long way to go. Out of all the industries I work with, healthcare is the most inefficient. There are good solutions that could streamline the processes, but, I believe the inefficiencies are built in intentionally. I would estimate that this is attributable to 15% of the total healhcare costs compared to one to two percent for other industries with similar levels of detail.

RB
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Health care costs would plumet if we forced people to be healthy!!

1. I propose that a fat tax be added on unhealthy food such as McDonald's, Pizza and Donuts.

2. Tobacco should be banned outright.

3. Drug attics should be executed -- three strikes and your are dead rule. You have three chances to get clean.

4. Sex is illegal until you and your spouse/partner go to the doctor and are given a clean bill of health. If you are caught with a std -- a heafty fine. If you have HIV or Hepatitus -- you are banned from having sex.

5. If you are obese -- you have a year to get into shape. After you are in shape - you must maintain your physical fitness level. National standards will be set (similar to the military you have to pass a physical fitness test every six months, running five miles, push ups, pull ups etc.) -- If you are over weight -- you must pay a heafty fine to cover the increase in health care costs to take care of your obesity.

6. Only women between the ages of 20 to 30 will be allowed to have babys - after thirty your tubes will be tied. Men will have a vasestomy at age 35.

7. You will be reqiured to wear a helment and flame retardent suit with full restraint harness and all cars will be air bag and roll cage protected while driving. And the speed limit with in city limits will be 20 mph

8. Rock climbing, hang gliding, surfing, kite surfing, sky diving are banned.

9. Skiing, skateboarding, rollar bladding, bicycling etc. -- full protective gear is required - helments with face mask, elbow and knee pads, hip pads, and chest protector.

Prevention of the need for healthcare will lower the insurance premium required.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, that's like, being an uber-populist!! What was that movie with Sylvester Stallone? "Demolition Man", I think. Where basically EVERYTHING that was any fun was banned? ;-)

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The further you separate the receiver of the service from the payer, you run into problems.

My good frind is a physical therapist. Started his practice, he si the only therapist, there is one person answering phones and 2 people doing billing.

It takes two people to bill for one man's work! dealing with preferred providers and medicare and all that mess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Working in both EMS and a hospital, I see tons of waste. And all of it goes unchecked. The public has the attitude that someone other than themselves should pay. The 911 system and the ERs are completely over/misused causing the costs to be passed on to others.

If there were some way to outlaw booze and cigarettes the costs could be cut war down.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where did you get an advance copy of the republicans' 2008 platform?

it was missing the clause about attending a southern baptist church at least once per week.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [rb5980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on, the repubs aren't that inflexible.

Methodist would be OK too.

Costs will never get under control so long as we have the current system in which the consumer doesn't pay for a given service. Now, the individual pays a fixed amount of money per year and the cost of any individual service is essentially free.

I went for years without insurance. When I went to the doctor, I paid on the way out the door. What a concept! They didn't need multiple clerks to keep track of my insurance and billing etc. Not so incidently, I didn't go to the doctor unless I had a damn good reason, which was almost never.

Until the consumer feels like he is spending his own money, costs will stay out of control. Those Health Savings Accounts are a really good idea, but whether they can be made to work in practice remains to be seen.

The setup in which Joe Consumer pays $3,000 for a medical service for which an insurance company pays only $1,000 is a disaster in that it is exceptionally difficult to pay your own way since you are at a huge price disadvantage.

I don't know how this can be fixed politically. It is several times worse than the SS mess.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The phenomenon that AJs talking about is called "third party liability". It happens when health care providers of all sorts are forced by insurers or hmos or Medicare (under what's called "DRG"s, or Diagnosis Related Groups) to take a certain amount of money that's considere "reasonable and customary".

Unfortunately, most providers will tell you that the reimbursable usually doesn't cover the actual cost of the healthcare provided. Many providers cover this by overcharging, or recovering, costs from patients who either will pay for the service themselves or who have a health insurance plan that pays off at whatever the billable rate is. Believe it or not, many plans still do this (off the top of my head, Prudential, Travelers and others, at least back until I finally got out of healthcare administration in the late-90s).

That's why you see one patient being billed at, say, 800 dollars for a hernia repair, and another paying 2,000 dollars or more for the same procedure. The administrators are trying to make up the dollar shortfall by hitting those who can either most afford to pay, or who are without insurance and will have to pay whatever rate the market will bear.

There are many factors that play into this besides DRGs (the Hill-Burton Act, Medicaid etc.)

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This works great as long as you are healthy and injury free. I went nearly 29 years with no illnesses or major injuries. That all changed one dark and stormy night when a jackass decided to run on me instead of peacefully go to jail ... the resultant chase and fight cost me a perfectly good shoulder and my insurance provider around $20K. They tried to sue the bad, who of course had no money, so they dropped the suit.

I totally agree that the health care 'system' is a much bigger mess than SS, which could be fixed relatively easily were it not for overly political BS (on both sides).

Health care is a totally different beast, with dozens of failures resulting in the colossal cluster phuc we have now.

A bunch of my family work in healthcare (drs., therapists, nurses etc). When my wife was deciding on her post undergrad career, she was accepted to both veterinary and medical school. One of the main reasons she opted for vet school was because of the current and future state of American health care. That, and she didn't like dealing with whiny humans!

I read an interesting analysis of the problem which laid some of the blame on the fanastic technology available today. Doctors are able to do amazing things (and amazingly expensive things) that even 10 years ago would have been impossible. These procedures are now standard, and they cost billions every year. I wish I could remember the specifics and where I saw this.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Corporate America is reeling from rising premium expenses "

Sounds like McDonald's profits are coming back to bite them in the ass.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Supersize me", bay-bee!!

Yummy!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't what you are talking about one of the reasons that the Health Saving Accounts were proposed? They wanted people to see how much going to the doctor cost so that hopefully they would think twice about using the system for frivolous problems.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm Glad I'm Not A Healthcare Administrator Anymore: Costs Are Going Crazy [Shad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is exactly the idea behind Health Savings Accounts. The idea is to have more of the cost of a medical expense come out of the consumer's pocket. That will cause the consumers to take a pass on a lot of medical services.

I love the idea, but I don't know how they can be effectively implemented in a system that is so otherwise divorced from market realities. Maybe they will work great, but I am skeptical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AJ, the downside that we found, in conducting a study where our patient base was made to pay a small, nominal visit fee, was that some people then didn't go in for either preventative care (immunizations, annual check-ups etc.) or, in some instances, vitally-needed care for fear of incurring patient charges that they just weren't willing to pay, either because of innate cheapness or because they really couldn't afford it.

It's almost a Catch-22 situation, sadly.

Tony
Quote Reply