Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

EagleMan thoughts? Locals want to know how to improve
Quote | Reply
Anyone out there have any thoughts on EagleMan this weekend? I am interested in how you all did and any thoughts about the race. But as a local who wants the race to be more appealing every year, I am especially interested in any suggestions you might have to improve the overall experience for the athletes and their guests.

What did you like or dislike about the venue, course, accommodations, etc. What can we do down here on the local level to keep you all coming back year after year? OK, the rain on Saturday was not anyone's fault. But we will take credit for the clearing on Sunday.

Thanks to you all for coming down and being a testament to fitness and tenacity. We just get so jazzed to have you come to our home and race with us. Thanks again.

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: EagleMan thoughts? Locals want to know how to improve [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you could do something about that chop on the river that would be great. Oh yeah, that wind on the bike has to go too!

I did Eagleman yesterday (for the 2nd time). I thought everything was great. About 5-10 miles from the end of the bike there was a long line of cars being held up to allow us to ride through, rather than being mad about the delay people were hanging out of their windows cheering for me as I rode by. Considering that we shut their town down for the weekend everybody was very supportive.
Quote Reply
Re: EagleMan thoughts? Locals want to know how to improve [Chubby Hubby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you could have asked for a better town to host the race. The people in general and specifically the volunteers were incredible. Of course the RD put on a top notch race and it was really cool to be able to talk to the pros one on one. But feel free to kill the wind next year on the bike, that was a little tough. I will definitely be back next year. Thanks for everything.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suggestions? None - keep it just like it is. I did the race last year and my wife did it this year. This wqs my very first race as a spectator, and I had a great time. I even got to bodymark and hand out medals for awhile, just b/c they needed some folks to do this. Eagleman rocks. The organization is first rate, the new timing co. was even better that the previous (which is saying a lot - not sure why L-M was dropped but they are very good) and I don't think there is a better race meeting than the ones hosted by Vigo. Seriously, don't change a thing.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't do Eagleman this year but have raced it 4 times and it is a well run race. Tricolumbia does a first class job in all of their races.

I do wonder if the run is a full 13.1 miles though..In looking at the results this year and in years past when I've done it I was really surprised at the fast run times put up...I know the course is flat but 1:11 fast????
Quote Reply
Re: EagleMan thoughts? Locals want to know how to improve [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the insights guys. Glad you had a great race and enjoyed yourself at the same time.

Some thanks from me personally. I did the relay this year with my wife in a very poorly-disguised attempt to convert her from running marathons to multisport - even duathlons would be a start. She has never been a swimmer and had some bad experiences in the water at a young age.

I started running a few years ago so we could spend more time together. Bought a bike, started riding ... didn't even see the tri bug enter the room, but it bit me. Now we run together at least once a week (3 kids makes this part tough).

Asked her to run the race with me doing the first two legs. My brother generously pitched in the entry fee when he heard we wanted to do it - after a few beers of course. At the end of the meeting on Saturday night, she told me she would like me to work with her in the pool and maybe sign up for a tri this fall.

It was all of you and the energy that you posses that she just could not resist. Since our wave started last and I am very slow, she was running with some folks out there looking at +7h. She passed a lot of athletes since she was fresh and the distance is right up her alley. Everyone encouraged her. She even walked with a few ladies just to talk with them for a while. It was the friendliest bunch she had ever encountered in all her years of road races. She was also so encouraged by all the athletes back on the course cheering on those BOPs. Needless to say, the whole event has gotten her all worked up over multisport. She even fits my bike fairly well. I told her that if she gets into it and likes tri, I would even buy a new bike ... and give her mine.

Thanks again to all - athletes, volunteers, staff - you ROCK!

Steve
Quote Reply