Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post marathon sickness
Quote | Reply
Hey all-

Is it just me, or does anyone else always seem to get sick after running a marathon? I'm interested in why this happens. I know that such an event wears down your immune system, but specifically, what could I do to avoid it in the future?

In this last one, I woke up too late for breakfast so I was kinda running on an empty morning stomach which is not typical for me. I ate what I felt I could afterward, but I don't think I replaced all the calories I burned. Could this be a lack of nutrition thing?

The other factor which I'm considering is heart rate. I'm not a particularly gifted runner, but if I have one "natural" advantage, it's an ability to "dig-deep" and work through a bunch of pain. I've raced with my HRM reporting 175-180 throughout the entire race. I believe my max to be somewhere around 204. Could my problem be due to holding a high heart rate (~86%-88% max) for too long?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Post marathon sickness [dksf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say you get sick after a marathon, do you mean that you come down with a cold or the flu within the week following the marathon, or do you mean you feel sick immediately afterwards on the same day as the marathon? The former is an immunity issue whereas the latter is a hypoglycemia problem (usually).

I just read the June 2003 issue (182) of Peak Performance. It said, "Rapid refuelling [sports drink, etc., immediately after a hard workout] allows for faster replacement of energy in the muscles, thus speeding recovery, and is also good for the immune system."

But the fact of the matter is that a marathon is a jolt to the body and to the immune system, which is not easily overcome by refueling alone. Your best bet is to eat and drink lots immediately after the marathon and get lots of rest and sleep. Recovery exercise should be short and slow. You should avoid hot tubs. If you take a hot shower, interrupt it every 3 minutes with 30 seconds of cold water on your legs. Within a couple days of the marathon, go swimming (at recovery pace). All these things help counteract the shock to the system that you experienced during your marathon.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: Post marathon sickness [dksf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completed my first marathon two weeks ago, and was sick most of the afternoon with GI distress. I attribute it to a high HR (in the range of my bike LTHR which was much higher than any of my training runs) for the duration of the race which may have caused stomach to shut down. I would be interested to hear an elaboration on why this occurs and how to prevent in the future.
Quote Reply