Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

You never know when (update. . . sort of)...
Quote | Reply
I've been riding bikes seriously for 20+ years and doing tris/dus for 18+ years. Wednesday was my day. I was finishing a 2.5 hour ride and just cooling down. i was out of the aero bars, traveling a relatively slow 18mph, and 5 minutes from parking the bike. I saw the truck coming at me. I saw him start to tun left across my lanes, apparently headed for the parking lot to my right. I made what I thought was eye contact and thought he was stopping. At any rate there was nothing I could do at that point, no matter what he did. Well, instead of stopping he actually began to accelerate, not to hit me, but to get across the road before the car 200-300 meters behind me got to that point in the road. At that point the slow motion realization that I was GOING to be hit began. I remember the impact and then flying through the air like a ragdoll. I remember the sickening crunch, but don't know whether it was me or my beautiful Saber. I also remember doing a fairly proficient martial-arts type roll upon impacting the ground with my right shoulder. I can't take much credit though, unless it was from muscle memory from my Marine Corps training. I was 100% in the hands of fate and physics at that point. I landed without significant impact on my helmeted head. At least there are no signs of impact on my helmet. Thats lucky for me; not so lucky for the kid who hit me. Before the pain hit me I launched a 1 1/2 minute tirade against him that probably wouldn't pass censors in the bluest magazine. Once I realized I was actally still alive and concious, I sat up, scanned my surroundings, found my target and fired away. I didn't much care who I was yelling at. It could have been an admiral for all I knew. I was on the Navy base here in Norfolk,after all. Hell, I was riding in one of the lowest traffic areas in the whole city! Well, eventually the pain hit me, and I laid back to succumb to the rescuers. The cop showed up and started asking questions. I bit my tongue when asked about the driver's actions. I asked the second cop to bring my bike over so that I could survey the damage. It had landed some 30-40 yards from me. He refused, claiming that he needed to take photos. At that point the real anger set in. I was a wreck. My bike was a wreck. And I wasn't able to move what with the EMTs and corpsmen swarming over me. I took a deep breath and let it pass. There was nothing I could do at that point. Fate had intervened in my IM traing and I was merely along for the ride. I began to take stock of my injuries. Head still on shoulders. Check. I can still move all my body parts. Check. Big sigh of relief. Uh oh. That left leg looks nasty down below the calf. At least the bones aren't through the skin. And my left hand looks concave from the back. Thats not how its supposed to look. And OOOOOOUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHH! So they immobilized me and put me on a backboard and neckbrace. Standard procedure, despite the fact that I was able to sit up and calmly remove my mangled Poggios. Has anyone else expierienced the pleasures of a backboard? Its hard surface dug in and made those parts that weren't injured hurt. The EMT missed my veins three times! I'm one of those folks with ropes for veins. How could he miss? More discomfort! I finally told him that unless it was legally binding that he stck an IV in me before arriving at the hospital, that I wasn't all that in need of fluids. I had been hydrating on the ride, after all! At the hospital I was rolled in an placed in the hallway, of course. Broken bones cannot compete with gunshots and heart-attacks. I was starving at this point since I had not eaten on the ride. And all I could think about was that I wanted my wife there. I wondered how long it would be before she arrived. She was in an operating room across town at that moment doing her anesthesia thing on a 24 hour call. I finally had someone get in touch with our day care lady who I knew would page my wife right away. Of course its hard to flag someone down when you're strapped to a backboard. The EMT of vein mis-marksmanship fame had even taped my head down as we arrived at the hospital. Apparently this is a legally correct procedure, despite the fact that I'd been sitting up having full conversations with him back at the crash site. I think he did it to scare even my medical wife when she finaly arrived. She showed up in scrubs, making her seem like part of the staff there. She could have completely taken over my treatment and I don't think anyone would have taken the time to ask who she was or if she even worked there. Eventally we got the x-rays done. The news was better than expected. Despite the several golfball-sized lumps on my leg, nothing appeared broken. My hand was another story, though. The two medial metacarpals were in several pieces. Congrats Brian! After all that you only have a broken hand, severe contusions on the leg, and some industrial grade road rash! The irony is that my shorets and jersey were non-the-worse for it! I had abrasions on my shoulders and hips. Why were there no gaping holes in the fabric? Ah ha! One thing to be thankful for! Oh, and that other small detail that I wasn't chilling like a side of beef down in the morgue!
So be careful out there, friends. But remember, all the care in the world, and all the skill in the world doesn't mean it can't happen. When its your day, its your day. You never know when...
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: Jun 18, 03 13:57
Quote Reply
Re: You never know when (extra long)... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p.s. Please disregard the typos. This one handed typing thing sucks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to here about that. Was the truck driver ticketed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man, get well soon. Glad to know you had no serious injuries. I'll keep my head up.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribriguy sorry to hear about this,i know how you feel 6/5/1989 is the day that changed my live,1 mile from home after a thirty mile ride a woman decided to turn in front of me,breaking my sterum and badly damaging my left hip,i was thrown about 30 feet,i stood up not felling any pain and she drove away,now i live with neck and back pain,she was caught and got 200 hours com service,Get the best medical help you can,good luck in your recovery,make sure he gets charged,and keep us imformed.Best wishs Randall
Quote Reply
Re: You never know when (extra long)... [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your recovery, Brian. You are truly lucky and I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle very soon.

I've been hit 3 times in my life, all as young BMX-er riding around the streets of my home town. I have never been hit as an adult cyclist, and I'm not looking forward to the day either.

Thanks for the story and get well soon.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, you never know when.... I was sideswiped by a driver looking the other day (Tues) when making a left, he would have run right over me if I hadn't spotted his lack of attention and booted it. Certainly gives one pause, doesn't it? I know I rode the rest of the way home on the quiet(er) bike path instead of the faster busier main street... We get comfortable, and even though we watch the drivers (looking for eye contact) we still have to take that risk every time we clip in and go. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well written, kind of got that sick feeling in my stomach when it became obvious what was going down. Hard to "know" if seeing this ya-hoo about to do the unthinkable saved you from even more serious injury but you may have stacked the odds in your favor by being alert. Some of that old programming to roll may be hard-wired in? You had to take quite the blow from the impact of the truck with the bike going 30-40 yds. How you escaped without some major trauma seems remarkable. The end of this story will take awhile. It be nice to see some justice done. Heal well Brian and keep us up to date.
Quote Reply
Re: You never know when (extra long)... [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The young lad was cited for reckless driving on a Federal installation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know it's amazing how stupid people are out there. Good thing your ok. I remember one time I was cruising (30+) down a semi busy road with plenty of shoulder when this dope in a truck was in such a hurry that he almost took out a great big tree because the road was very narrow road.

Do they still have the policy on the military bases that if you're convicted of a traffic infraction you can't drive on the base? I remember my mom telling me when I was younger that if I got caught speeding I'd have to park my car at the gate and walk. May be a little more justice if that's the case. Depends upon how much of a slap on the wrist he gets. If he's smart he won't contest the ticket if he does make sure the prosecutor gets the photos of you and your bike in the aftermath to show during the trial.
Quote Reply
Re: You never know when (extra long)... [trijohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian - why didn't you land on your feet? I would have expected more from one as grammatically proficient as yourself.

I normally have one bad crash a year which always seems to be at the start of the summer. Haven't had it yet so am hoping my luck changes. Anyhow, hope it's not your dominant had that's nailed and the hospital put some bionic gizmos in there that enable you to crush bricks when it heals.

Bestest - Chris

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
yes to the pleasures of a backboard...... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.....I'm glad you are not hurt any worse!

I crashed at the finish line of a small race a couple years ago when a volunteer stepped out in front of me; I apparently did a spectacular flip and head landing, but like you my worst injury was a broken wrist/hand.

But the paramedics all but ignored the hand and immobilized me on the backboard, where I stayed until muuuuuch later at a nearby hospital when a doctor finally saw me. I had been moving around normally for awhile just like you before the ambulance arrived. I recall my neck was so stiff by the time I was free it hurt much worse than my wrist; if I knew that was coming they would have had a helluva time getting me in that ambulance.

Good luck in recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oooops, sorry to hear about that accident, but happy to see that you apparently escaped greater damage.

I wish you a fast and complete recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: You never know when (extra long)... [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know if person moving the vechicle, I hate to use driving when he was not really driving but more or less just sitting there, has insurance? Make sure you file a police/MP? report for for insurance and when it lands in court if his insurance isn't willing to fork over the money for a new bike and cover med expenses.
Get better, happy healing

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Know how you feel. This being injured thing sucks!!! Hope that you are on your bike soon.

I am recovering from a broken femur, it's been 9 weeks and I'm on one crutch now - but still on two if I have to go any distance! Still I have been doing a bit of swimming - trying to improve my disastrous swim style with some total immersion drills, and I'm back on the bike (on the trainer) a little more intensity each time.

You should try having an accident here in Oman! I actually ran into a little guy that sweeps the streets. He saw my wife go past and then walked out into the road without looking, but then saw me and stopped. I knew a crash was inevitable. He was OK, the bike was OK. I knew I wasn't pretty quickly. It was right outside a police station and the policeman tried to pick me up and put me in his police car (there are very few ambulances here in Oman). Apparently I was pretty vocal about not wanting to go! Eventually after about 45 mins and 5 - 6 phone calls my wife was able to get the ambulance from my work to come. They were very good and managed to pick me up on a "scoop" (a great device) and get me to hospital. The hospitals are very good here - there are just so many road accidents they have plenty of practice. Except for one nurse who tried to put my leg in traction. My leg was the wrong angle and every time she dropped (literally dropped!) the weight I was again a bit loud! Which apparently made me a bad patient. She got the doctor to do it and that was fine. They only operate on certain days each week - so I had 4 days wait for the op. Next time I'll make sure that I do it on a better day. So now I have a plate and 5 screws in the top of my femur.

A nice little touch. It was apparently my fault. Here the police decide on the spot who's fault it is, and there is little comeback. Especially if you can't speak Arabic. It was my fault because I shouldn't have been cycling on that road (no more or less different from any other road in Oman!). But the little sweeper guy signed a paper saying he didn't need any compensation so that must be OK.

Oh and I cracked my helmet as well, but no damage (that I can tell). So please always wear your helmet.

Any other good accident stories? Nice to hear about people worse off than you are!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, I am glad to hear that you're basically okay. Hate to hear about the bike.

This seems to be the year where we are having world-shaking accidents. I hope those of you who ride "sans chapeaux" will consider wearing a helmet after reading this, as well as Kimilev's fatal crash.

Godspeed your recovery. I hope you're back out very soon.
Quote Reply
Re: You never know when (extra long)... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This could have been me! You really never know when... RAAM Competitor killed

The Race Across America (RAAM) suffered a terrible blow early Wednesday morning as racer Brett Malin was struck and killed by a truck along US route 60 in New Mexico. The accident, which happened at around 2:30am EST, marks the first fatality in the race's 21 year history. Malin, a member of four-person Team Vail-Go Fast, reportedly was struck by the truck as it attempted to swerve to avoid the collision, which was deemed an accident.

Race Across America director Jim Pitre said the race will continue. "This is a tragedy of the highest order," Pitre said. "RAAM sends our deepest condolences to the family of this young man. Every care is brought to bear to keep racers as safe as possible during RAAM. More information will certainly follow, but right now we're here to make sure the immediate family is notified, and that Team Vail and its crew knows they have our continuing support."

Brett Malin, a road cyclist from Vail, Colorado, was 30 years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, life and pain meds have me a bit fuzzy. I didn't see the other thread on the RAAM cyclist.

As for me, I'm healing slowly, but surely. The lawyers and the insurance folks are taking care of the rest. Man, that really could have easily been me. I'm sure many of you could say the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but it wasn't your time and franky it's good to still have you to kick around [jk]

glad to hear you are progressing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply