Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Pledge of Allegiance [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite frankly, I don't know what business schools have making kids pledge their allegiance to anything. Time better spent teaching them how to add, spell, and find Fiji on a globe. There's nothing, that I know of, that says that you have to have pledged your alliegance to the U.S. in order to get a diploma or go to college. If I never pledge alliegance to the U.S. again, it doesn't diminish my rights as a citizen. Why are kids doing this at all? What if you are a Canadian or Australian, or whatever, and your kid has to pledge alliegance to the U.S.? Again, public education should stick to teaching kids actual knowledge since we keep slipping further and further behind the rest of the world in education.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how old you are, but i suspect there was less religious diversity when you were a kid.

lol!

I was pals with Methuselah, commodore. Heck, I remember back when there was only one religion . . . and we liked it that way. ;)

I don't know where you grew up and what school you went to, but where I came from nobody cared who was saying the pledge of allegience and who wasn't, and who might be lip synching the "Under God" phrase to preserve their Constitutional freedoms. As I recall, on any given morning, maybe half of the kids in class would mutter their way through the pledge, and the other half was either having an anxiety attack about their homework that the dog didn't really eat, or pulling Becky's ponytails, or trying to catch another 20 seconds of shuteye.

In other words, nobody much cared, and I doubt it's any different in schools today. I'd go so far as to suggest that the only kid who's going to stand out is the one reciting the pledge loudly and clearly for all to hear. Cause that kid's a geek.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: The Pledge of Allegiance [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"and who might be lip synching the "Under God" phrase to preserve their Constitutional freedoms."

Cmon vitus, that's how you want kids to feel? That they have to lip sync the pledge to preserve their freedoms? Talk about sad. do you really think that's ok?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what business schools have making kids pledge their allegiance to anything.

Because it's somewhat important to instill a love of country and American values in children, so that when they grow up into adult citizens, they'll be patriots, in the full sense, and not cold, rational engineers with no connection to American ideals.

Time better spent teaching them how to add, spell, and find Fiji on a globe.

I really and truly do not think that the few seconds it takes to say the pledge is detracting from our kids education by robbing precious time from other subjects.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Because it's somewhat important to instill a love of country and American values in children"

That's what civics class is for.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think civics classes are taught anymore, commodore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Quite frankly, I don't know what business schools have making kids pledge their allegiance to anything. "

Dear Slowguy,

It is clear from that statement you are only in the Navy to sell our secerts to the terrorist. You are a worthless piece of shit and your hatered for the US is astounding. If kids don't say the pledge in school then they will become liberals and give NAMBLA little boys and sacrafice children to satan. I can't believe how much you hate children.

Got to hell,

The Republican Party

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't think civics classes are taught anymore, commodore."

Well I think that's a bigger problem than the pledge of alliegance. You said yourself that kids just mumble through it. Whether it's physics or history or social studies, there are better ways of teaching pride in country than making kids recite a pledge of alleigance. I mean really, how feudal is that. teach kids to love America, don't forrce them to recite an oath and hope it actually sinks in and somehow makes them a spontaneous patriot.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I think that's a bigger problem than the pledge of alliegance.

I'm inclined to agree.

Whether it's physics or history or social studies, there are better ways of teaching pride in country than making kids recite a pledge of alleigance. I mean really, how feudal is that.

??? There are lots of different ways to instill patriotism- they're complimentary, not mutally exclusive.

No idea what you mean by "feudal" in this context.

Quote Reply
Re: The Pledge of Allegiance [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew he was really one of us.

"No idea what you mean by "feudal" in this context. "

Knights swear allegiance to their kings. I'm an officer in the U.S. Armed Forces and i don't even have to pledge my allegiance to anything. I have to swear to defend and protect, but that's not the same thing. Swearing alliegiance is a little weird for a 7 year-old. The obvious comparison is the hitler youth. Now I'm not saying this is the same thing, but having a young kid pledge their allegiance to anything is kind of strange.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: The Pledge of Allegiance [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me started with you lefties.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Swearing alliegiance is a little weird for a 7 year-old."

Or a 9 yr old kid. Especially if you're a Canuk going to grade 4 in the US. Read my earlier post :)

It is very true that kids don't have a clue what the pledge really is or is supposed to be. I know none of my grade 4 classmates did when I asked them what it was all about. But I'll even guess that a lot of adults don't either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Because it's somewhat important to instill a love of country and American values in children, so that when they grow up into adult citizens, they'll be patriots, in the full sense, and not cold, rational engineers with no connection to American ideals."

Funny thing. There where patroits before the Pledge and I never Pledged Allegiance to Texas but us Texans have a love of state that few understand. Again I guess homes and churches can't do the same job as the goverment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think slowguy is in need of a blanket party, hmmm what ship do you float on, maybe I can make a call, ha.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to swear to defend and protect, but that's not the same thing.

What exactly is the difference?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What exactly is the difference? "

The difference is that I swear to protect and defend the Consitution of the United States. And, I'm doing so in the process of taking an oath of office, not in the process of going to homeroom.

Slowguy

Quote Reply

Prev Next