Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon seatposts????
Quote | Reply
Opinions on these? Are they a worthwhile upgrade? Recommended brands (I notice Supergo has one that is aero and is priced way below others that I've seen)?
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seatposts???? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For years I was part of the "steel is real crowd" and ridiculed aluminium bikes (and compact frames). I finally broke down and bought a Giant TCR-1 once I determined my 12 sp was getting a bit long in the tooth, but I didn't have high expectations of the ride quality. Was I ever shocked to find out it rode nicer than the old steel bike. It has a carbon seat post and fork which I assume has a lot to do with it (as well as riding on tubulars).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with cerveloguy. Carbon posts can substantially alter the ride quality of the bike. The Deda Blackstick seems to be particularly effective at smoothing out a slightly harsh ride. It is flexible but seems to be strong. I used one all season on my Empella Bonfire cyclocross bike. Remounting a cyclocross bike in the heat of a race puts a lot of stress on a seatpost- no problems. Two thoughts though:
1. Some carbon posts are acutally thin wall aluminum wrapped in carbon fiber, not actually 100% carbon- FYI.
2. Not all carbon posts are lighter than aluminum.

There are a lot of posts out there, I've only used three different types, and they all worked well.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seatposts???? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon seatposts look and ride nice. Remember to check if the Supergo aero post (as well as other brands) will fit your bike - the aero part may be too long and therefore it will not go down the seat tube far enough. Supergo has another (middle price) non-aero, carbon seat post that works well.
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon seatposts???? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom

I have a Control Tech reversible post on my bike now. Do any of the posts that you mention have this feature (I ride an older Cannondale so the seat tube is not as steep as I need without the post turned around)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey yeah Allan the Corima post is flippable. I'm using it now (well not right now). I looked at the Weyless and i think thats what youre talking about on Supergo---the minimum insertion wouldnt work for me. I went with the Mike Burrows design Giant one and that was a really nice post, but it wasnt flippable, i wanted to get a little more forward and couldnt on it. So i switched to the Corima. Very happy with it. I swore when i first switched from my Thompson to the Giant that i felt that thing flexing underneath me---now im so used to it i cant feel it. But i sure i'd notice if i went back to aluminum/steel etc.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon posts are usually a worthwhile upgrade for comfort if not just for the cool factor

I've used and liked Wound-up's carbon post on a cyclocross bike. Of course the frame, fork, and handlebar were also carbon... : ) Tom didn't happen to mention the Black Stick costs in the $180+ range.... The Magic Stick is a little less... maybe $140+....

I like the Easton ones a lot....(I think they're cheaper too)

The Supergo posts are a great deal, and since Supergo is owned by Performance you'll be able to exchange it (for something else perhaps) indefinitely if you ever have a problem.... though you could always just get the "Forte" post though I'm not sure if that one is more expensive. I think it's around $80-90 and 175g (claimed) which is decent but still heavier than some aluminum posts (not that I'm one of those gram-counting weight-weenies or anything).

The Giant ones (I think is like the Supergo one) are heavy, expensive, and John Cobb doesn't think they're aero (but they're still nice...just too expensive @ $140)...The Corima (my favorite aero post) is the most aesthetically pleasing and even skinnier than the Giant but it seems pretty stiff and strong despite being super light (~$100-120). The USE Alien posts are probably the most reputable super light posts, but I'm wary of their durability...

I could go on and on....

What are your priorities? aerodynamics, comfort, or lightweight?

Also, if you have a compact frame you might have to use the mountain versions of some of the brands. And like someone also mentioned, the aero posts tend to be very size specific.

And also note whether the post you want is straight or setback.

I think the non-aero post by Supergo (if it's the lighter one) is probably a better one than the "aero" post just because the "aero" post doesn't enhance your aerodynamics much and the round post should be more comfortable and lighter.

Kelvin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's just me, but I only want solid metal, be it CrMo, Al or Ti, on anything that could conceivably impale me in that area...

Quote Reply
Re: cervelo's aero carbon seatpost [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has anyone tried cervelo's new carbon seatpost that works on the p2k, p3 or soloist? just wondering if it improved the comfort of those bikes or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one that I move between bikes. I have it on a hard tail mtb extended pretty far out and I would estimate that I get a half an inch of suspension out of it. I will put it on my alluminium road bike occasionally for really long rides (usually those are on the carbon tri bike) - but not nearly as extended.
Quote Reply