Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Determine Seat angle w/plumb line
Quote | Reply
I have a Question in the never ending quest for the perfect fit:

If I run a plumb line from the tip of the saddle, it will intersect with the center of the BB.

Does this tell me what my actual seat tube angle is with this saddle position? Is this more than 78degrees?

I think Dan had a graph in his fit section a while back but I can't find it anylonger

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Determine Seat angle w/plumb line [Redemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to tell us your seat height in order to answer this question. Measure from the center of your BB to the top of the saddle in the middle.
Quote Reply
Re: Determine Seat angle w/plumb line [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ct BB to top of Seat is 79cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since one half of your seat length will be about 14 cm, the cosine of your seat angle will be 14/79 or .177, so your seat angle will be just under 80 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The graph and associated text is now on the cervelo site under the tech section
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for us non math wizards, just how do you do this? BTW, the nose of my Flite saddle is 2.5cm in front of the BB, w/ BB to the saddle = 75cm

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Determine Seat angle w/plumb line [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the nose of your saddle is 2.5 cm in front of the BB, the middle of the saddle would be 14 cm behind the nose or 11.5 cm behind the bottom bracket.

The cosine of your seat angle would be 11.5/75 = .153. I don't know if we would have any readers here that haven't memorized their trig tables. On the off chance you forgot them, you can look up in a table or a calculator to find that an angle of just over 81 would have the desired cosine.

You are riding one steep bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I don't know if we would have any readers here that haven't memorized their trig tables. On the off chance you forgot them, ......

Oh, my trig tables....yes silly me. I do have them memorized! Thanks for tapping my memory....and the calculation:-)! And, so 81 degrees is too steep? Good thing I pushed it back a tad!

Really, thanks for the calculation.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Memorized! I've never even seen one!

"...like every writer, he measured other men's virtues by what they had accomplished, yet asked that other men measure him by what he planned someday to do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art, thanks for the formula, guess I have to get that table as well, or check with my wife. sounds like we are all riding pretty steep here. Maybe I move it back a notch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you believe Dan, many riders are at or close to 80 degrees. I am at 80 right now, though I may notch it back for IM Lake Placid. I will see how the training rides go first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need to memorise trig tables; you can get close enough with a straight multiplication if you start with angle from vertical: horizontal distance * 58 / distance along seat tube, or horizontal distance * 56 / vertical drop. Then subtract the result from 90. Thus instead of inverse cosine of 0.153 (81.2 degrees), take 90 - 0.153 * 58 = 81.1 degrees. Close enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art,

Why would you move your position back for Lake Placid? Would it not be better to stay in the same(fastest for you) position, stay aero, and spin up the hills? Seems most of them are not that steep, and there is still a good bit of flat, (or very light rolling) on that course.
Quote Reply
Re: Determine Seat angle w/plumb line [Trigeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to test out a couple of different positions on the course over the next few weeks. The most important issue will be whether I can actually stay in the aero position for six plus hours. Having a great aero position won't help me if I can only stay in it for an hour or two. I will back off to about 78 or maybe even 77 degrees and raise my handlebars if required for comfort.

You just never know what works best until you try it.
Quote Reply